PDA

View Full Version : Car seats in a Zafira

mummyMia
22-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before but I am struggling to find a thread with a definite answer ...

We are thinking about buying a Zafira, it is a 2008 model with a full seatbelt in the middle seat. I need three group 1 seats and one highback booster. Has anybody managed to get this combination to fit and if so what seats do you have? Ideally I would like to have three accross the middle bench, with the high backed booster in the middle, a group 1 seat on either side and the third group 1 seat in the back. Please please tell me this is possible. :(

I can't take the car along to the shps to try them out as we haven't bought it yet. I have looked at the Britax website but didn't find it very useful. If the seats won't fit we will have to look at a bigger car, which I am not too keen on!

I have also looked at the multimac but it is very expensive and the website says it is not a good fit in a Zafira anyway.

mushpea
22-01-2012, 04:40 PM
my friend can get 3 high back boosters along the middle seats,, I have the older style with a lap belt so use 2 high backs and in the middle I have a britax seat which goes on the lap belt,, the only problem with 3 seats across the middle that are strapped in to the car is you cant then pull the seats forward to get to the back seats

llkbabob
22-01-2012, 04:51 PM
my friend has a Z which she puts two group 1's in the back + 2 high back boosters + low booster in the middle finds it a lot easier because otherwise you have to undo seat belts to get to the back seats :)

It's a small world
22-01-2012, 06:30 PM
my friend has a Z which she puts two group 1's in the back + 2 high back boosters + low booster in the middle finds it a lot easier because otherwise you have to undo seat belts to get to the back seats :)

OOOhhh I was going to ask this question as in September my car will be full. I was thinking Group 1's in the back. One in the middle (door side) and 2 high bck boosters in the the middle too and low booster in front for my eldest (8)

Are the youngsters ok in the boot. group1 seats. That would be my next question ?

dobby
22-01-2012, 10:07 PM
I have a 2003 Zafira and have been using a variety of seating combinations in it over the years. I found that using boosters in the middle more of a pain as it was difficult to get to buckle them up if I had group1/2 seats either side. So instead I have 3 group 1/2 seats in the middle and boosters in the rear. I use Britax first class seats either door side and a Britax prince in the middle (thats slim fitting and also sits well in the rear.

Boosters work well in rear as easy to lift in and out as not attached, I have rarely used all 7 seats but if I have then i lift the children in through the tailgate, they usually get the seatbelts over their bodies and i help them clip them in - they think its great fun and used to fight over who would sit there :)

Eddisonsmum
22-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I have a 2003 and have group 2, and 2 high back boosters (kiddiecare ones) in the middle row. My kids go in through the tail gate as it is just impossible to do it the other way with ny seat in. My neighbour does it this way too.

tinkerbelle
23-01-2012, 12:01 PM
dont buy one iv got a 57 plate and its done 50 thousand miles has broke down more times than iv had it and now needs a new engine getting car seats to fit is a nightmare and even more so pushchairs i have to have a baby seat and a stage 1 seat in and when they are both in my son is crushed in the middle and my other 2 have to climb through the boot over the back seats go for a citroen as they have 7 individual seats so you can keep the seats fastened in

mummyMia
23-01-2012, 03:52 PM
dont buy one iv got a 57 plate and its done 50 thousand miles has broke down more times than iv had it and now needs a new engine getting car seats to fit is a nightmare and even more so pushchairs i have to have a baby seat and a stage 1 seat in and when they are both in my son is crushed in the middle and my other 2 have to climb through the boot over the back seats go for a citroen as they have 7 individual seats so you can keep the seats fastened in

I have been considering the Citroen. I do LOVE the interior but it is such a massive car! This will be our only car so we will need to use it when I am not childminding too. I think I would prefer something smaller provided I can get the car seats in but it is a hard decision. :(

mummyMia
23-01-2012, 03:57 PM
I have the older style with a lap belt so use 2 high backs and in the middle I have a britax seat which goes on the lap belt,

Do you know which models the seats that you have are? Is it difficult to lift a child into the middle seat? :)

mummyMia
23-01-2012, 04:05 PM
I have a 2003 Zafira and have been using a variety of seating combinations in it over the years. I found that using boosters in the middle more of a pain as it was difficult to get to buckle them up if I had group1/2 seats either side. So instead I have 3 group 1/2 seats in the middle and boosters in the rear. I use Britax first class seats either door side and a Britax prince in the middle (thats slim fitting and also sits well in the rear.

Boosters work well in rear as easy to lift in and out as not attached, I have rarely used all 7 seats but if I have then i lift the children in through the tailgate, they usually get the seatbelts over their bodies and i help them clip them in - they think its great fun and used to fight over who would sit there :)

I am amazed that you have managed to get 3 group 1/2 seats in a row. Others have told me that this is impossible in a Zafira so I am very pleased to hear that it can be done! Do the first class seats fit both rear and forward facing when you have the prince in the middle? I think your suggestion would probably work well for me at the moment because I have three under 2's and one four year old. I need to squeeze in a double buggy so I can't really use both of the back seats. :)

kel1983
23-01-2012, 08:31 PM
we have a 2004 model. We have a prince in the middle lap belt, a britax first class on the right, a high bck booster or just a basic booster fits on the left and only ever use one back seat which we have a second prince in. the 7th seat is rarely used as we cant get a buggy in with them all up

dobby
23-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Hi again, yes they do fit both ways but to be honest i have only had both facing rearwards on a few occaissions and it was an ,erm, interesting experience getting everyone in and out , especially the poor three year old in the middle i had to get creeping under and over to get to his seat! So yes 2 R/F with prince FF can be done. My usual combo is on RF with prince and other first class FF.

The trick to getting them all in is to fit from one side of car to other, dont try to say, fit the prince in the middle when others are in. The side impact "wings" dont give you enough hand space to reach down to the belt clip. So fit first seat, then prince, then second. I pull all the belt out, so lots of slack when i am clipping in, then pull everythingreally tight, before putting through seat notches etc. None of my car seats budge when i am done, but are all safe, with no buckle crunch issues etc. Several of my parents have asked me to check their seats when they have seen how firm I get them!

My method is to pull front passenger (and if necessary driver) seats fully forward to allow maximum room for kids to get to seats. Load children into furthest and middleseats first, get baby in Rf seat(s) and buckle everyone up. Then do children in back. I have tried several doubles in the "seventh seat" space and it works well, you just need to ensure it is not going to move/fall over onto poor kid in 6th seat if you corner :thumbsup:

The newer Zafiras are differantly shaped so if in any doubt, take car seats with you to try out!

llkbabob
24-01-2012, 10:41 AM
OOOhhh I was going to ask this question as in September my car will be full. I was thinking Group 1's in the back. One in the middle (door side) and 2 high bck boosters in the the middle too and low booster in front for my eldest (8)

Are the youngsters ok in the boot. group1 seats. That would be my next question ?

she doesn't seem to have a problem and the eldest one (3 years)loves it cos he always says hes sitting in the boot lol:)

mummyMia
25-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi again, yes they do fit both ways but to be honest i have only had both facing rearwards on a few occaissions and it was an ,erm, interesting experience getting everyone in and out , especially the poor three year old in the middle i had to get creeping under and over to get to his seat! So yes 2 R/F with prince FF can be done. My usual combo is on RF with prince and other first class FF.

The trick to getting them all in is to fit from one side of car to other, dont try to say, fit the prince in the middle when others are in. The side impact "wings" dont give you enough hand space to reach down to the belt clip. So fit first seat, then prince, then second. I pull all the belt out, so lots of slack when i am clipping in, then pull everythingreally tight, before putting through seat notches etc. None of my car seats budge when i am done, but are all safe, with no buckle crunch issues etc. Several of my parents have asked me to check their seats when they have seen how firm I get them!

My method is to pull front passenger (and if necessary driver) seats fully forward to allow maximum room for kids to get to seats. Load children into furthest and middleseats first, get baby in Rf seat(s) and buckle everyone up. Then do children in back. I have tried several doubles in the "seventh seat" space and it works well, you just need to ensure it is not going to move/fall over onto poor kid in 6th seat if you corner :thumbsup:

The newer Zafiras are differantly shaped so if in any doubt, take car seats with you to try out!

Sounds like you have got it down to a fine art. :laughing:

Thank you for all the usesul information! I was feeling really worried about getting all the seats in but now I think I will definitely go with the Zafira. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed that the seats fit into the newer model. :)

dobby
25-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Lol, it IS something i have got the knack of over the years - oh to do it from scratch takes me about 10 mins of faffing about so always do before any mindees arrive as its a nightmare otherwise! I did once have to ask a parent to wait with their child whilst I fitted the final seats in as they were early - luckily they were on maternity leave so in no rush and though it very educational to watch!:blush::laughing: