PDA

View Full Version : child phscology

mushpea
21-01-2012, 07:50 PM
has anyone done a child phsycology course? wondering what sort of cost and how long it takes to complete,,

mama2three
21-01-2012, 08:02 PM
cant help with costs etc as I did child psychology at A level - too many years ago.Will really recommend it as a subject though and the things I learned I still use i my practice.

The Juggler
22-01-2012, 11:13 AM
i did the foundation degree and top up year - most of the course modules centre around how children learn and their brain development so are a kind of child psychology. It teaches you to analyse what they are doing and why, why they are behaving that way and why.

However, not sure about pure child psychology courses but if you want a more childcare practice based way of gaining a deeper understanding of behaviour, play etc, def. recommend the foundation degree :thumbsup:

mushpea
22-01-2012, 12:27 PM
i did the foundation degree and top up year - most of the course modules centre around how children learn and their brain development so are a kind of child psychology. It teaches you to analyse what they are doing and why, why they are behaving that way and why.

However, not sure about pure child psychology courses but if you want a more childcare practice based way of gaining a deeper understanding of behaviour, play etc, def. recommend the foundation degree :thumbsup:

sounds quite good but what is the title of the foundation degree? I have done the dhc and that was quite good but I feel I want to understand more why children do the things they do.

The Juggler
22-01-2012, 12:45 PM
sounds quite good but what is the title of the foundation degree? I have done the dhc and that was quite good but I feel I want to understand more why children do the things they do.

its the foundation degree in early years usually (or early childhood studies - title varies from place to place).

You learn all about play theories - how children learn to play, attachment theories and how that affects behaviour and thus development, behaviour, how PSED and abuse can affect behaviour and development, how children develop thinking skills (PSRN/KUW skills), how communication develops and problems in that can affect development and social skills, and how the environment can support or not suport that development depending on our own behaviour, reactions, setting and resources.

It has totally changed how I practice :thumbsup: