PDA

View Full Version : Chinese New Year - ideas please?!?

Newbie1!
21-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Good afternoon lovelies!

I wondered if someone could point me in the direction of some chinese new year ideas for a 1, 3 and 4 year old please that they could all do at the same time.

I always really struggle with the youngest one, 3 and 4 can happily make lanterns, pictures etc but the 1 year old....eeeeekkkk!!! Help!!! :) xx

mama2three
21-01-2012, 04:57 PM
my 2 1 year olds and a 3 yr old had a great time making wool noodle pictures - pritt sticks and wool and paper plates for babies , scissors too for 3 year old to cut his own.
noodle messy play in the tuffspot? it did get really sticky though! older ones can try and pick it up and put it in cartons with chopsticks , babe will just love playing with it!

BuggsieMoo
21-01-2012, 04:59 PM
We've just started these but I traced a picture of a chinese dragon on to some tracing paper and gave them bright pens to decorate with and have put them on the windows as sun catchers. The older ones got to write their own names in chinese and the little ones I did it for them. There is a right variety of pictures on my windows and they all look fab.

Next week is our 'Chinese Week' and we will be doing lots more crafts and sampling chinese food and eating (or attempting to) with chopsticks.

kel1983
21-01-2012, 05:21 PM
We are going to make dragon masks with the lo's. Got the template online and then gonna get them to paint them. We are also going to make red lantens and hang them along the wall. For dinner on monday the children will have chiken noodles and sweet and sour sauce and prawn crackers followed by fortune cookies. We have 4 older ones after school so they are going to understand more than the little ones.

Stapleton83
21-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Chinese New Year Ideas:

Watched some dragon dances/lion dances on youtube and then had a go ourselves :laughing:

Trying chinese food

Making chinese lanterns

Reading the chinese story of how the 12 animals came about

Making a collage dragon to go on the wall (although my 2 yo thought she'd go over one of my mindees colouring good job he's easy going!)

Goldfish are considered lucky in China as is the colour red so going to do something on that theme.

Hope that helps

Sam x

onceinabluemoon
22-01-2012, 07:11 AM
make handprint dragons (lots of 'how to's on the net just google it), the older children can do the handprints themselves baby will need a bit of support (i.e. you dipping his hands in paint and putting them on the paper - be prepared to get messy, lol)

ziggy
23-01-2012, 12:36 PM
I have printed off animal for year each child was born, to be coloured in then displayed. Have printed off Happy new year poster with dragon on. tomorrow we are going to make dragons from egg boxes and lanterns

Out rest of week

Chatterbox Childcare
23-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Not doing anything with the little ones this year as they are grouchy but my 3 year old will be with me tomorrow and we will make some dragons pictures together then

If you look on activity village there are loads of ideas and my older ones are doing the printables today

Have fun

The Juggler
23-01-2012, 01:48 PM
we are making dragons on sticks (older ones) and the under 2's are just doing sparkly gluing on dragon cut outs

we are listening to chinese music and watching dragon dance videos

having noodles for lunch :thumbsup:

*daisychain*
23-01-2012, 02:03 PM
We have had noodle messy play this morning 8 month, 12 month and 20 months, the older 2 sat and ate most of it ! I shall be busy later cleaning my floor . When they wake up we will be dancing under a shhet (dragon of course !) to chinese music:)
eating lots of chinese food all week too, well it ould be rude not too ;)

emitchell285
23-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Today we made Dragon masks the kids love them! nice and simple. Get a template from online

kel1983
23-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Today we made Dragon masks the kids love them! nice and simple. Get a template from online

Exactly what we did. Lo's just dont really understand it all yet.

miffy
23-01-2012, 08:35 PM
my 2 1 year olds and a 3 yr old had a great time making wool noodle pictures - pritt sticks and wool and paper plates for babies , scissors too for 3 year old to cut his own.
noodle messy play in the tuffspot? it did get really sticky though! older ones can try and pick it up and put it in cartons with chopsticks , babe will just love playing with it!

We made the wool noodle pictures today - thanks Kath for this idea :thumbsup:

We had rice and chopsticks in the tuf spot - I was amazed how good the 3yo was with the chopsticks!

Miffy xx