PDA

View Full Version : 12 year old help!!

Newbie1!
19-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Hello all, very quick post as only have two minutes on internet but have had an enquiry today for an afterschoolie who is 12, a girl.

Only couple of days a week but they are coming saturday to look around etc....what on earth do 12 year olds do, what will she want to see, etc...never had one this age (oldest 8 at the mo) so really unsure what they are going to be looking for in me!!

Any help much appreciated! :) :) xxx

Daisy1956
19-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Wait until you meet the child. The older I mind loves sewing and knitting, painting ,model making, going on the computer, reading baking in fact most things the younger ones like but on a more complex level. She also loves helping the younger ones and helps with reading recipes etc, making her feel wanted and appreciated. Hope this helps.

LChurch
19-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Hi, I have a 10 yr old, well only really 1 day a week as she does after school clubs so don't really have her much. Depends how long you have her for though. Cooking perhaps, not sure how feasible that would be for you. TV of course! Homework!! Ask her what she likes doing. I think I will be losing mine before the end of the year due to the close proximity of her mums work and the fact that she is in clubs so will be able to walk to Mums work. Never looked at her as long term though! I don't want her walking to her mums office in the dark at the moment as it is still a little dark at 4.30pm. I don't think her mum is keen either as not sure how many walk that way after club has finished.

Monkey26
19-01-2012, 08:43 PM
I have a 12 year old mindee three nights a week (although she's been with me since she was 9 and the older sister of one of my littlies).
She can be moody as anything some nights - on these nights i usually stick a dvd on for her...
But most of the time she is lovely, often prepares snack for me (her request!), helps out with the little ones and plays beautifully with them :) She really enjoys baking, going on the computer, reading and drawing on the white board :)
We also have some lovely conversations, she see's me as a big sister/auntie rather than a mother figure and knows that she can talk to me about most things including when she started her period just before christmas and was too embarassed to tell mum so asked me to do so - bless xx

nikki thomson
19-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Gosh, I think it depends what there into, 12yrs is a funny age, all the 12yr olds I know don't go to a cm they just go home and are left alone till parents get home, maybe she could have access to your computer and do some of her homework?.... Sorry not much help. X

mushpea
19-01-2012, 09:03 PM
my 13yrold daughter likes to be on her laptop or play with her ponies but then shes pony mad!, she can be very stroppy about 1 wk every month! and this is the time to leave her alone:laughing: my son whose 11yrs likes the xbox but can be lovley with the littlies and will read to them or play with them.
I would chat to her and see what she does at home after school and ask he what sort of thing she would like to do.