PDA

View Full Version : Walking!

NicoleW
19-01-2012, 08:00 PM
My mindee, 13 months old took his first steps with me this week, 10 steps! I managed to get it on film as I was taping him trying to stand up unaided from the floor, he had to use the sofa then he just started walking!

Oh I was so pleased and so amazed. I sent it to mum via email straight away and she loves it, the fact that she was able to see his first steps eventhough she was at work. I made a big poster in the front room of congratulations and some pics of him

Ooh it's so exciting! He'll be toddling off before I know it :D

Just thought I'd share because I'm so proud of him!

Katiekoo
19-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Ahh, that is lovely :D

Zumba-mum
19-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Ah how exciting. :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
19-01-2012, 10:12 PM
:clapping:

my not quite 13 month mindee walked 5 steps max each time last week but mostly crawled (did do a couple of steps the week before but left it for parents to find out ;))

this week all walking, so cute :) a real little toddler :thumbsup:

Pinkrose
20-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Moments like that are why I love childminding :clapping::clapping:

mrs robbie williams
20-01-2012, 06:27 AM
im just waiting for 14m mindee to walk, she is sooooo ready bless her - although im not allowed to tell mum, at our initial mtg she made it clear im not allowed to tell her any wow moments.

NicoleW
22-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Sorry to ask but why can't you tell her any wow moments? :s

roro1
22-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I think the wow movements are in reference to special times that parents would really like to discover themselves, such as first steps, first tooth, crawling etc. As a childminder I think we have to tread carefully so some people would not tell them and let them discover this memorable moments themselves. I am sure some parents are just happy to have these shared with themselves as you did, I would have really appreciated a video of my sons first steps!! Think that was really nice thing to do.

I am not exactly sure what I would do and will do in these situations. I guess I will decide when they happen and depending on my relationship with the parents and what I think they would what.

Hmm food for thought. :)

Tealady
22-01-2012, 01:40 PM
I never see Wow moments;)

I just express to Parent how their child is just sooo nearly there i.e "I really thought Sproglet was going to take a few steps this afternoon. You could see him thinking about it but he just plonked on his bum" When actually he staggered across my lounge to grab his favorite car.

I let them know their child is almost there so when it happens for them they are not left wondering if it was truly the first time.

*daisychain*
22-01-2012, 02:57 PM
I would have been deverstated if I had missed my LOs first steps whilst I was working. My almost 12 months mindee has been so close to walking and I really didn't want her to do it here with me because I wanted her mum to see. Luckly she took her first steps on her day off from coming and mum was overjoyed:)
I vow never to see wow moments :thumbsup:

christine e
22-01-2012, 03:35 PM
In the twenty years I have been childminding only one child has ever taken first steps with me (of course not)! I have only admitted to it once! Last year one Mum said to me 'I know children don't normally take their first steps with you but if * does please tell me' * was 17 months by the time first steps were taken and Mum was getting worried

Cx

Tealady
22-01-2012, 04:00 PM
In the twenty years I have been childminding only one child has ever taken first steps with me (of course not)! I have only admitted to it once! Last year one Mum said to me 'I know children don't normally take their first steps with you but if * does please tell me' * was 17 months by the time first steps were taken and Mum was getting worried

Cx

Fair enough!

christine e
22-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Fair enough!

Like I say it is the only time in 20 years (wink wink):laughing:

Cx

Mouse
22-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I never see Wow moments;)

I just express to Parent how their child is just sooo nearly there i.e "I really thought Sproglet was going to take a few steps this afternoon. You could see him thinking about it but he just plonked on his bum" When actually he staggered across my lounge to grab his favorite car.

I let them know their child is almost there so when it happens for them they are not left wondering if it was truly the first time.

I do exactly the same. I write in the daily diray that lo is soooo close & I'm sure they'll be doing it very soon.

But like Christine, there has been one child who was very hesitant with walking & was over 18mths before they took a step. Parents did ask then if I would tell them if lo walked for me.

NicoleW
23-01-2012, 07:27 AM
I actually never thought about it that way to be honest.

Definately food for thought :)

Daftbat
23-01-2012, 08:08 AM
I thought it was an unwritten rule that children NEVER take their first steps whilst being minded!:rolleyes:

Never have at my house:laughing:

sfox2003
23-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I made that decision too when I first started minding. My first daughter went to full time nursery & Id have been happy but inside v.v.upset if she'd done her firsts with them. Now I know that maybe she did - but I'll never know. Id rather think of her firsts as being with us.

I now do not tell anyone, like the others I say "oooh x is nearly there".

It did happen once by accident. One day when Id first started minding, my father in law was here, he'd called in for an hour to see the children. E's mum arrived to pick him up & he had walked earlier on (just a couple of steps in the garden). It was the first thing my father in law said to mum when she came in. He obviously thought she would be pleased, but she was crushed! I managed to talk us out of it by saying 'well he kind of had a go then wobbled' she perked up & said 'oh right so he didnt properly manage it yet?', he walked for mum that weekend & she was over the moon.

I explained to my father in law afterwards why I dont tell parents, he understood of course and I think felt very guilty.

We have lots of wow moments, just not those extra special ones. I leave them for mummy & daddy. We recognise them here afterwards with certificates & stickers though.