PDA

View Full Version : ME and my BIG mouth !

Penny1959
19-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Some of you may have picked up from the Ofsted consultation thread that I volunteered to take part in the Ofsted pilot inspections for the revised EYFS.

Well they are coming NEXT WEEK

I thought it would be in the Spring AFTER the publication of the revised EYFS - but no - they are coming next week.:panic::panic:

I am going to get provided with a 'special' copy of the EYFS as supplied by DfEto Ofsted but it will have gaps due to the bits that the wording is being consulted on. AND I am not allowed to share this document with anyone - as it is top secret and it might well change.

As the title say Me and my big mouth - I must be completley MAD

Penny :)

loocyloo
19-01-2012, 07:43 PM
oooooo, 'exciting' ;)

good luck!

how many inspectors will be coming? :laughing:

sarah707
19-01-2012, 07:44 PM
How on earth can you comply with requirements they haven't yet consulted on and ratified? :huh:

Good luck! :laughing::D

Tippy Toes
19-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Oh no! You are brave to volunteer for that :eek: And next week too.

I'm sure you will do fine though.

Good luck, let us know how it goes xx

Playmate
19-01-2012, 07:56 PM
How on earth can you comply with requirements they haven't yet consulted on and ratified? :huh:

that was exactly what I thought when Penny told me!

Suppose we better prepare ourselves for a phone call, as we volunteered as well :panic:

Penny1959
19-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Well I am hoping that they will be focussing on their new inspection framework more than on me.

Thing is - do I make sure that I coss the 't'' and dot the 'i's' inline with current EYFS - or do I do as I preach and just leave everything as it is - open the door, smile and say - well difficult to comply with the unknown!

I am really hoping that they are going to focus less on paperwork and more on the children - and what it is like for a child here.

By Thursday night I will know

Playmate
19-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Well I am hoping that they will be focussing on their new inspection framework more than on me.

Thing is - do I make sure that I coss the 't'' and dot the 'i's' inline with current EYFS - or do I do as I preach and just leave everything as it is - open the door, smile and say - well difficult to comply with the unknown!

I am really hoping that they are going to focus less on paperwork and more on the children - and what it is like for a child here.

By Thursday night I will know

Maybe we just tell them the way we think it should be done (and after all you and I know we are right ;)) :laughing: Do you think they will listen? :rolleyes:

Zoomie
19-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Penny you are very brave.

Good luck, I am sure you will knock their socks off (and then do a matching / size activity with the mindees :laughing: :laughing:)

Carol M
19-01-2012, 08:11 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
You are confirmed BONKERS Penny!
Carol xx
p.s are you open to blackmail to let me know what they look for ? I'll make you a cake :D

Bluebell
19-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Penny - can i just ask - when you say 'pilot' do you mean practice for them? You are outstanding and yet do not know what the new EYFS is (although having being so involved in the consultation I am sure you have a pretty good idea) Anyway what I am saying is when they do the inspection is it for their information only or will you get regraded on this? great as presumably you are still outstanding but what if, through no fault of your own you get downgraded to a good - this surely wouldn't be fair?

Also I am due an Ofsted soon - will they carry on doing the inspections or postpone them so that we are all working to the same new standards?

Anyway huge respect to you and best wishes for next week,

Playmate
19-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Penny - can i just ask - when you say 'pilot' do you mean practice for them? You are outstanding and yet do not know what the new EYFS is (although having being so involved in the consultation I am sure you have a pretty good idea) Anyway what I am saying is when they do the inspection is it for their information only or will you get regraded on this? great as presumably you are still outstanding but what if, through no fault of your own you get downgraded to a good - this surely wouldn't be fair?

Also I am due an Ofsted soon - will they carry on doing the inspections or postpone them so that we are all working to the same new standards?

Anyway huge respect to you and best wishes for next week,

When we offered we were told we would not be graded and it would not replace a normal inspecetion. We are not due for 18mths or so.

they will carry on inspecting under the old regime until August. However Penny may know otherwise.

samb
19-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Oooo I will be soooo tempted to ask about it lol! good luck!

The Juggler
19-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Maybe we just tell them the way we think it should be done (and after all you and I know we are right ;)) :laughing: Do you think they will listen? :rolleyes:

ooh wouldn't that be good :laughing: Penny good luck - sock it to them :clapping:

miffy
19-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Oh blimey, you are very brave - I would never volunteer for anything like this.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly.

Miffy xx

mayberry
19-01-2012, 09:58 PM
now I know you gone mad :eek: :eek:.......lol

Good luck, :thumbsup:
Dawn xx

Stapleton83
19-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Well done you for being brave enough to get involved :clapping:. I would be yourself as I think they will be more interested in your views as to how you would implement any changes they are considering and what issues you might have with them rather than physically inspecting you.
;)
Good luck

Penny1959
20-01-2012, 05:11 AM

Well - you might be right there Playmate - and I am well know for saying what I think :blush:

I will be telling the inspector what I think - and I will be offering her a copy of my response to both EYFS consultations and the Ofsted one - so if she reads them - she will be in no doubt about what my views are.

Of course the good thing is that this 'judgement' won't be used (in fact can't as not a legal document yet)

Penny1959
20-01-2012, 05:31 AM
When we offered we were told we would not be graded and it would not replace a normal inspecetion. We are not due for 18mths or so.

they will carry on inspecting under the old regime until August. However Penny may know otherwise.

I can confirm - the grade will not be used and even if I am judge inadequate (which I might well be as I don't know the requirements) I will not be downgraded. (Thank goodness)

They will be using the current EYFS until August - but in practice most inspections will be done by July (as the inspectors have to be trained in both the revised EYFS and the new Ofsted inspection framework)

The revised EYFS will be used from Sept 12.

So yes Bluelion - this pilot is for Ofsted and DfE to help iron out out 'issues' - which is why I think this one on me is being done before either the revised EYFS or the Ofsted inspection Framework are finalised.

It is a fantastic opportunity for me to find out what they will be looking for and how they will make their judgements - plus of course a golden opportunity to tell Ofsted face to face what I think.

As it happens I have met the inspector who is coming before - and I know she is not just a inspector - she is a top manager - and so she will be testing out the whole procedure so can then use the experience to inform the final versions of the documents and to put together the training for the inspectors.

This is not the first time I have taken part in Ofsted pilots - I did so when Ofsted first took over from Social Services - and as it happens I was graded as 'unsatisfactoru' - for one silly oversight on my part - the pilot took place a few days after my 2 week summer holiday - and in that holiday period my youngest DD had turned 16 - and I had forgot to ask for a crb to be done (whicvh in Ofsted's early days - was a major crime).

However as now the grade did not count - and I did have one moment of 'glory'.

One of mindees was showing the inspector the toy catalouge - you know the photo's of all your resources - and the inspector said so how does Penny know what toys you want out - mindee said - I put in my 'bookmark' -oh said inspector and what happens if you want to choose more than one thing? Mindee stood and stared at inspector as if she was mad - paused for a while - then said - 'I put in two bookmarks of course!' ( great - just look at how many things evidence there in EYFS terms :D

Penny1959
20-01-2012, 05:38 AM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
You are confirmed BONKERS Penny!
Carol xx
p.s are you open to blackmail to let me know what they look for ? I'll make you a cake :D

lol Carol

You know me well enough to know that my morals won't let me pass on anything - until I have permission to do so.

However - for one of your cakes- you can be the first to be told - once I have permission :D (oh unless I get a higger bid of course :laughing:)

Penny1959
20-01-2012, 05:45 AM
now I know you gone mad :eek: :eek:.......lol

Good luck, :thumbsup:
Dawn xx

You have only just worked that out Mayberry?

As you have known me for YEARS - I thought you would have known that long before now - as I have alway been mad (oh well apart from when I was your network co ordinator - when of course I was prefectly sane and professional :laughing:)

(Images of me - sat at yours at 10:30pm drinking 3rd coffee of night - still wearing work badge and saying 'Dawn - you need to bin all that stuff' (so professionally put :laughing:) and then being told off by my manager next day for working too late)

ORKSIE
20-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Good luck Penny :thumbsup:

xx

ChocolateChip
20-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Good luck Penny, too scary for me but I hope you'll find it an interesting experience!
I am 9 months overdue my inspection, do you think they are hanging fire until the revised system comes in?

Penny1959
20-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Good luck Penny, too scary for me but I hope you'll find it an interesting experience!
I am 9 months overdue my inspection, do you think they are hanging fire until the revised system comes in?

Have you had a EYFS inspection? If not they will be 'fitting you in' - if yes they may not - but don't count on it!

Penny:)

Bluebell
20-01-2012, 04:52 PM
I still think you're brave but what a wonderful opportunity at the same time! Best wishes for next week and wish we could here all about it!!!

Penny1959
20-01-2012, 04:58 PM
As if Thursday was not bad enough - I have now had call from inspector - a long chat about what she will be doing - and the fact that she can't say how long it will take - and will just have to keep going until completed it :eek:

And then she says - I will be with you at about 9:15am on TUESDAY.

Lovely say my very unreliable and not at all sensible mouth - while my head is thinking - childminding all day Sat and Sun, stuff for workshop for local group to prepare for Tuesday night (assuming inspector gone by then) AND a NCMA regional forum to organise for next Saturday.

Hang on a minute please - while I find a phonebox to transform into Superwoman :D

Ok Superwoman here - bring it on - Ofsted I am ready for you (well not really but a brave smile always helps)

Monkey1
20-01-2012, 06:36 PM
one word....................................

Nutter!!!!