PDA

View Full Version : Needing to vent my frustration. Sorry

kel1983
19-01-2012, 07:06 PM
We mind a lo who is 26 months old. Going back just before christmas mum decided he should be using the potty. Now I feel that the child should show an interest at least to use the potty which he wasnt. Well she started him on a Friday and then turned up on the monday and said he is out of nappys.

To be fair he has done so well and was going most days without any accidents.

Last week he went backwards. Wet himself most days (on our sofa) so his mum decided to send him in pull ups. The pull ups were wet most days even though we were making him sit on the pot literally every 20 minutes or so. He has not even bothered asking for the potty.

Well the mum came in tonight and I had explained he had 2 soaking wet pull ups today and she basically said its because we dont make a big deal of him wetting himself :eek: If only she knew. We do make a big deal of it. She then went on to say at home she can predict when he needs to go. Again surely he needs to say when he needs to go. I know we need to prompt him which we do.

She really upset me as she obviously thinks we are not helping with the potty training. Im so upset thatI feel like avoiding her next week and let my co-minder deal with her. I sometimes feel that because I dont have my own children this mum in particular doesnt think I know what i'm doing.

Sorry I have gone on. Just needing to vent my frustration. I'm open to any suggestions right now.

mushpea
19-01-2012, 07:24 PM
making a big deal of when he wets himself is totaly the wrong thing to do,, this should be ignored, child changed quickly and queitly and mess cleared up without a fuss, then when he goes on the potty make a big fuss of that other wise he will be happy with getting attention from wetting himself even though it might not be postitive attention.

kel1983
19-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes I agree. just sometimes its so frustrating. Started really well and we made a big thing of him having a wee on the pot which seemed to work.

I think I am just getting so fed up with the mum coming in and basically blaming us for the fact he is going backwards. I dont seem to have connected with her like the other mums.

Well we havent got him again till monday so think we are gonna start afresh. Reward him for using the potty perhaps a sticker chart. Do you think this will work. Not make a thing out of him wetting himself.

sarah707
19-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Mum needs to take a week off work and sort her son out ... and stop making a fuss when he wets himself that's the worst possible thing she can do!! :(

Hugs xx

kel1983
19-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks Sarah. I think I need a week off from the mum. lol

Ripeberry
19-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Sounds like a plan. Lots of positive attention and if he messes then just clean up without fuss. They all get there in the end :thumbsup:

kel1983
19-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I keep looking for the "Like" button lol

samb
19-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I keep looking for the "Like" button lol

Me too! "like" :laughing:

acorns
19-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Do you have a toilet training policy? In mine I ask parents to only send children without pull ups when they are able to tell me they need a wee & can hold it until they get to the potty/toilet. When a child is actually ready this should not be a problem, as long as parents have child at home for a week or so to do the initial bit. There's no way I'd have a potty about the playroom or have a child without nappies if they were weeing on my sofa!! There may well be the odd accident (of which no fuss at all should be made) but if there are frequent accidents the child is just not ready, however much Mum thinks he should be & I'd tell her so!!