PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone home Educate and childmind??

sharonmanc
19-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I am pre reg at the moment , have my visit next friday, but I am planning on home educate my youngest who will be 3 in July.

I was teaching secondary education up until July, and althoough I loved workiing witht he students, I hated what education had become in the classroom, and teaching a student to pass exams, which is not me. So not only have i left teaching but now will not be sending my daughter into mainstream education.

I was just wondering if there are others who home educate and childmind, and what your experiences have been , positve or negative.

I am still finding my way around home educating, still researching etc, just as I am with childminding, and am thinking that the way I want to raise/teach my daughter would work well with the EYFS, well I am hoping so anyway.

Ok I am rambling a bit now, I would lvoe to connect with others that have or are embarking on home edding and childminding :D

wendy222
19-01-2012, 06:31 PM
hi i home educate and childmind my son is 15 now it worked fine for us xxxx

ziggy
19-01-2012, 06:44 PM
i wish i could have found the courage to do the same, i hate what schools do to children now

good luck, hope it all works out for you

sharonmanc
19-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi Wendy, it is good to know that it can be done.

Ziggy, I still feel kind of gittery, not because i dont think i can do it, but that it is the norm to send our kids to school, that I feel like a naughty child who maybe doing something wrong, if you get what I mean. I know for sure i dont want her starting school/nursery at 3 or 4, i did this with my eldest 2, (or even 5 or 6) because as a single mum I had to work, and here I was leaving my children everyday to go and look after someone elses children.

I am hoping with childminding I can still work while looking after my own children at the same time, and still stay wihtin the education field, but in a different way.

wendy222
19-01-2012, 07:06 PM
because your child is young u will have children her age and you just follow there interest dont need 2 buy work books and stuff if you go on sheffield froum on to intrest group then parents there is a post about home ed hope that helps xx

sharonmanc
19-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Thank you wendy:)

NicoleW
19-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm half considering taking my daughter out of school and home educating her.

Today she wet herself in school and the conversations as follows

Me: "Why didn't you put your hand up to go to the toilet?"
LO: "Because the teacher said to work quietly and not put our hands up"
Me: "You should have put your hand up anyway if you needed to go to the toilet, I'm sure she woulnt' mind for that"
LO: "She kept telling me to put my hand down and I have been trying to get on the happy board for not shouting out and I couldn't hold my wee any longer."

Yesterday the conversationw ent as follows with a mindee after I got called in to speak to the teacher because he refused to do the work

Me: "So what happened?"
A: "The teacher said to work and not to bother her"
Me: "What was the work y ou had to do?"
A: "I don't know I couldn't understand what I was meant to do and I tried asking the teacher but she kept telling me not to bother her"

I'm not very impressed to be honest, but I am not too sure about how I'd juggle home education with childminding :)

sharonmanc
19-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Nicole, sadly this is how school is with my son, it seems from the conversations we have that his teacher whilst there spends most of the lesson doing paperwork, the rest of the time he has supply teachers as she is always on courses. I would home school him, but his father (we are not together) would not agree.

And I know from first hand experience working in a secondary school , that there are some bully teachers out there.

wendy222
19-01-2012, 08:26 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SYHEC/ this will help u as well people doing home ed hennypenny on sheffield forum knowns alot its home education possiblites hope it helps

jadavi
19-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I;m part of a really exciting group called Benjamin's School' and we're applying to become a free school. www.benjaminsschool.co.uk
I have a feeling it's going to spread round the country as its the perfect school...have a look

I home educated all my four and now I child mind and i can imagine it'd work well. The only thing I wouldn't really want to do maybe is pick up kids from school if my home educators were next to me after the age of 5 onwards as they might feel weird.... but you could always opt to have little ones...or you may even like the opportunity to have peers of your child at home . I dont think mine would've wanted that though.

I

Wendybird
19-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I am planning to home ed as well - DS1 will be 3 in August. We are going to try the really great pre-school across the street from us a couple of sessions a week though. I think he would enjoy their lovely garden. He won't be going to reception though, as I strongly feel that 4 is too young to be away from their primary caregiver for so long. At the moment CM works really well as he enjoys other children's company and it helps me to keep things interesting. It also means lots of our materials I can write off as expenses - ha! The down side, I can see already is that he is picking up other children's bad habits. It means I have to be very choosey about who I agree to take on.

sharonmanc
19-01-2012, 09:59 PM
jadavi - thank you for the link I will tak a look.

I was thinking ho wi would manage it if i have school age children and doign school runs with my daughter, will have to play it by ear and see how it goes.

Wendybird, my daughter is 3 19th July, so not much older than your son. I think while she is young it will work well, i was thinking of HE until she is 7, then if she chooses to try school she can, see if she likes it, or not, and go from there.

NicoleW
22-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Would it be too late to bring my daughter (6 in April) out of full time education to home educate?

jadavi
22-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Nicole you are allowed to take your child out of school at any age to home educate. You can go in and out as you choose. My children did.

sharonmanc
22-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi , yes you can, there are some great groups on facebook and some great sites with lots of information

try

http://www.education-otherwise.net/

lots of info there

jumpinjen
22-01-2012, 08:18 PM
yay - welcome to the home ed club! I still feel jittery sometimes after not sending my eldest to nursery and now home edding her for 2 1/2 years and my youngest hasn't gone to school either (would have been in reception now). It is perfectly possible as long (I think) as you have a flexible approach - I don't worki full time but there are other minders that home ed that do and it works for them - where abouts are you based? HE-UK is a yahoo group that offers support and advice and there are current and past CM/Home edders on there too! Hugs, Jen x

sharonmanc
22-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Hi Jen I am based in Oldham/Manchester I have found the manchester group a lovely one, have been lurking on there alot since just before christmas, I was surprised at the amount of meets there are, which we could enjoy once she was a little older.

It actually feels quite liberating, especially now I have made the decision, still a bit jittery though :) but then i think I have taught GCSE and A level and helped students achieve very good grades, so I should be able to do this, specially as I will be able to help her learn ina different way than that of the classroom. oooh getting excited now :)