PDA

View Full Version : ideas please

Playmate
19-01-2012, 05:26 PM
I need some inspiration please. For my action change research project (foundation degree) I'm introducing an enclosed communication space into my setting. I'm going to use and open ended dark den (one of the inflatable ones). At first it will just contain cussions and be a comfortable place to sit and then I will introduce baskets with different resources that will hopefully trigger different conversations. I have quite a few ideas for resourses eg. puppets, microphones, recordable push bottons etc. I want to introduce some sensory baskets and need some ideas for resourses that would interest 2-3 year olds, particularly smelly things and different textures.
Ideas anyone?

mama2three
19-01-2012, 05:30 PM
I have a chatter box. filled with anything I fancy but covered in packaging so they have to 'find' it. Weve had everything from a cabbage to maracas. Has provided a great start for lots of dialogue and vocabulary - not sure if it would fit with your den ?

Playmate
19-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I have a chatter box. filled with anything I fancy but covered in packaging so they have to 'find' it. Weve had everything from a cabbage to maracas. Has provided a great start for lots of dialogue and vocabulary - not sure if it would fit with your den ?

I like that idea :D especially the caggage :laughing:

sarah707
19-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I have had sensory cushions in the past and they were great for the children to explore - like those octopus toys for little ones with different panels of sensory material. If you are handy with a machine they are pretty easy to make.

How about a basket of sensory balls? :D

The Juggler
19-01-2012, 07:05 PM
what about one of those fibre optic lights or a small battery operated disco ball?

for smelly things you could just sew some herbs into small bits of material too.

Also if there is enough light try a themed story like 3 little pigs/gingerbread man with puppets and resources for them to re-enact the story??

Playmate
19-01-2012, 07:15 PM
I have had sensory cushions in the past and they were great for the children to explore - like those octopus toys for little ones with different panels of sensory material. If you are handy with a machine they are pretty easy to make.

How about a basket of sensory balls? :D

I'm soooo not handy with a sewing machine, don't have one and actually don't know any one who does :( like the ideas though. Sensory balls sounds good :D

The Juggler
19-01-2012, 07:19 PM
just make them tiny (I have one sort of 2 inches square in my treasure basket) you could sew by hand :thumbsup:

Playmate
19-01-2012, 07:23 PM
what about one of those fibre optic lights or a small battery operated disco ball?

for smelly things you could just sew some herbs into small bits of material too.

Also if there is enough light try a themed story like 3 little pigs/gingerbread man with puppets and resources for them to re-enact the story??

great ideas thank you, went to look for a disco ball on Saturday, but Hawkins Bizarre had closed down :( but I will look on line. I had thought about using a story sack; which I can borrow from Children Centre. I think I might be able to sew enough to do some herb bags - great idea:D

Playmate
19-01-2012, 07:24 PM
just make them tiny (I have one sort of 2 inches square in my treasure basket) you could sew by hand :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Penny1959
19-01-2012, 07:24 PM

And if really no good at sewing - try baby socks - then just have to sew one end.

Try things in those nets used in washing machines

Try collections of things - so tins/ metal things / shiny matterial / spoons /brushes / wooden things and so on

Penny :)

The Juggler
19-01-2012, 07:29 PM
And if really no good at sewing - try baby socks - then just have to sew one end.

Try collections of things - so tins/ metal things / shiny matterial / spoons /brushes / wooden things and so on

ooh good idea :thumbsup: I hate sewing so the less the better :laughing:

PixiePetal
19-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I have used baby socks - we call them 'smelly socks'! soap/herbs.....:thumbsup:

Playmate
19-01-2012, 07:44 PM

baby socks love it :thumbsup:

love the collection idea too :D