PDA

View Full Version : Help needed and fast!!

Beccles26
19-01-2012, 04:40 PM
I really need some help with the boy I look after he is becoming a safety hazard:panic:panic:

1: He bites me, his sister, my dog and attempted to bite the baby I look after.:angry::angry
2: He climbs out of his cot and over the baby gate at top of stairs.
3:He climbs out of car seat.
4: He climbs out of buggy.
5: If on rains he pulls and throws himself on the floor.:mad:

He kicks, scratches and hits, I have spoke to mum about it and she says to but him on the step for time out, which I do but know that as soon as he gets off he will do it again, While in my house I can cope with his behaviour, when I am on school run with 5 other children its becoming really dangerous. I need advice as what I should do for school runs?!? and keep him, myself and other children safe.

Tippy Toes
19-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Hi sounds like you have your hands full there :panic:

How old is the little one?

Wendybird
19-01-2012, 04:45 PM
How old is he? He sounds totally out of control and I don't think I'd be keeping him - for both your sakes. Sounds like he needs more one on one or a nursery where there are more people around to run interference! Sorry, not much help.

Beccles26
19-01-2012, 04:47 PM
he has just turned 2. he goes to nursery 3 days and to me 2 days, sadly I cant afford to give him notice. :mad:

rosebud
19-01-2012, 04:48 PM
How is he getting out of the buggy, can he undo the buckle?

rickysmiths
19-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Sounds like the poor fellow is very confused. One set of rules at home, one at nursery and one with you. It is for this reason I will not do shared care with a nursery for any under 3s.

Zumba-mum
19-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Poor you. My friend had to give notice due to a little one biting others in her care, it's hard work as you feel you have to watch them 100% which is hard when looking after more then one.

blue bear
19-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I've put a child in walking reins fastened into buggy before to stop them climbing out, could that work for you, if he is really causing a danger on school run then you have no choice but to restrain him in the buggy you need him and everyone else safe.
Maybe contact your d/o and see if she can cone and visit to observe your practice and give an un biased point of view and tips.
Do you think it's a behaviour problem, how about getting mums written permission to seek advice from a senco or if no permission you could ask a senco if a child was behaving like xy and z what sort of advice would you give?

Helen79
19-01-2012, 05:33 PM
If you cross the buggy straps over at the front that should stop him being able to get out. I'm assuming that you're putting him upstairs for a sleep in the cot? I would put him in a buggy for a nap downstairs with you as it's too dangerous him being upstairs if he can get over the stair gate. Cross the buggy straps so that he can't get out.
I wouldn't let him walk on the reins until you can trust him again. Maybe to teach him to stay in the buggy and break the cycle of him getting out go on some short walks without all the other school children so that you're not distracted and can give him your full attention. Every time he escapes, put him back in, be consistent and hopefully eventually he'll get the message that you're not going to give in.

With the carseat you can get a strap that stops them being able to climb out of the straps. If he's undoing the buckle I think someone on here suggested putting a small piece of velcro in the button so it stops them from pressing it.

Could you speak to nursery to see how they deal with his behaviour and then you can give him some consistency.

Goatgirl
19-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Hi :),

Firstly, I'd do thorough risk asssessments for the situations where he is putting himself or others in danger and take steps to change procedures etc so that the risks are minimised......

I would start by getting a harness for him, the type that fits to his body and will also clip in to the buggy, highchairs etc. Make sure it is adjusted to fit snuggly so that he can't climb out of it.

Then I would introduce a supernanny style time out step or spot and persevere with putting him straight back on it every single time he misbehaves. maybe a small buggy which can stand inside which he can be strapped securely and safely into each time?

Along with this, a HUGE sticker chart and a sticker and loud excited praise for every concievable thing he does that isn't against the rules. Give him a round of applause ;) - things like Being nice and calm, sitting still, sharing, waiting nicely, being a friendly boy, climbing really well (in an appropriate place) standing on one leg.... etc.

There may also be things you can do like give him a different routine etc, maybe he needs a bit more sleep? or is worse when he's hungry? can you put on some calming music or a dvd for 'peak' times or when you can supervise less closely? Just suggestions.. its hard without having the actual experience of him in my setting...

Good luck what ever you do and I hope you can turn things around.

best wishes,
Wendy :)

ziggy
19-01-2012, 06:48 PM
good luck and i think you have already been excellent advice but i notice you mind another child

just be careful, i had to let a child go who behaved just like your mindee and when i told other parents they admitted they were on verge of removing their children from my care, understandably so

Beccles26
20-01-2012, 07:50 PM
He manages to wriggle out of the buggy straps, doesnt matter how tight I make them.