PDA

View Full Version : Pensions...

buzzy bee
19-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Just wondering, do you have a pension and if so who with.

I used to have a pension scheme at my old job but not really sure what to do now I'm self employed.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

fionamadcat
19-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Can't really help as I'm in the same situation! Very interested in what others do though!

Fiona

Tippy Toes
19-01-2012, 01:20 PM
This is something I have been meaning to look into too :blush:

I just hope I haven't left it too late!

Will be interested in the replies you get.

loocyloo
19-01-2012, 01:24 PM
i've had a pension for the past 10 years!

i'm with nationwide, and i took it out with them, and now its run by legal & general. i'm sure its not the best i could do, but haven't got round to looking at anything else! i know the brokers that sort our mortage out for us, have suggested we change our pensions, but DH is finding out what work do first!

i pay x amount each month, and then the govt top it up? i know someone does! i don't know that it will pay out much once i retire, but i feel at least as if i am making some effort. i've never had a company pension, as i either worked as a nanny, or been self employed.

watgem
19-01-2012, 02:34 PM
don't have one-am nearly 48 do you think I'm too old to start? I don't have a lot to put away though tbh!

WibbleWobble
19-01-2012, 02:38 PM
my cousin has a theory...he has no pension and plans to rob a bank when he gets old. If he gets away with it he will have money to look after him for the rest of his days, if he gets caught he will go to prison and will be looked after for the rest of his days....(he says he will have to take a firearm in to make sure he goes away for a long long time)

i hope he is joking.............:laughing:

BTW he is a very very well off engineering consultant....i doubt he will do the above....and he was very drunk when he told us his plan.....

i really hope he is joking!

Twinkle-Toes
19-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I have a pension from my last employment which will be/is frozen, worth about £700 a year at today's rate!

My dad set me a pension up when I was 17 and has been paying into every month since (I'm now 28!) and the terms have totally changed! They have upped the age at which I can access it and it's now worth less than the amount my dad has invested!

So.....I'm rather disenchanted with the whole idea tbh....:mad:

Wendybird
19-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Ha ha to the above!

I have a very small pension that I started when I worked for a company that didn't offer one. I phoned up a financial consultant and he came over, went through some things with me and recommended a pension for me. He charged 3% of what I put in the pension over 3 years. In hindsight I probably should have put the money in an index-tracker with very little fee - the pension hasn't done very well. I stopped putting in when I went on Mat leave and I've never started again.

ziggy
19-01-2012, 03:29 PM
i'm 50 and dont i dont have a pension. My husband died 4 yrs ago and had paid into his private pension for many many years (he was lot older than me). I get a small widows pension from this which of course i pay tax on, as its included in my income, and when I had an op and was unable to work for 6 weeks having the pension meant i wasnt entitled to any benefits!!

I hardly earn enough to keep myself going and pay the tax and NI now so rightly or wrongly i'm trying not to worry too much about when i'm too old to work