PDA

View Full Version : Too young for time out??

Tippy Toes
19-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi

Just wondering what age you think is too young to use time out?

I currently look after a 17 month old who has started to have tantrums, throwthings in anger, shout :eek:

When little one does something wrong I tell her No. Tantrums I try to ignore.

Just wondering from what age you start to use time out?

Thanks.

xx

marnieb
19-01-2012, 12:41 PM
personally i think 17 mths is far too young for time out. For tantrums at this age just ignore, carry on doing things with the other children, and they will eventually clam down and come to you.

You have to step in a bit more, enforce no throwing anything in the house.

JCrakers
19-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Usually 3 and over...any younger and I just sort it out or remove them if they are hitting,pinching etc.
Usually moving them out of the situation with a 'NO' works for me. If they persist then so do I :D

mama2three
19-01-2012, 02:11 PM
i would have said 2ish , but my 20m old responds very well to moving away from the siuation for a minute or so - i guess this is what some would call time out / naughty step etc . All children are different - what works for one at a certain age another is far from ready for.

mama2three
19-01-2012, 02:12 PM
As for the throwing , if mine throw something it isnt returned to them - they seem to be learning very fast!

miffy
19-01-2012, 02:15 PM
As for the throwing , if mine throw something it isnt returned to them - they seem to be learning very fast!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Miffy xx

watgem
19-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Ofsted told me they do not like childminders using time out, but they did not offer an alternative-17 months is probably too young, redirection/distraction or ignoring wherever possible can be helpful with this age.

Helen79
19-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Never, I don't agree with time outs. Imagine it's your first day in a new job, you've made a silly mistake cos you weren't sure of the rules. Your boss tells you off and makes you sit on a step away from everyone else to think about your behaviour. Then makes you apologise to everyone and go back to work and work nicely with everyone else. How do you feel after that, do you now feel confident that you can do your job properly, did you actually learn anything from making that mistake and now know how to do it right the next time, does it make you want to speak to your new work colleagues or are you too embarrassed, angry and humiliated and just want to go home and never go back to work again?
17months is too young for a child to understand a time out, removing him from the situation and distracting him and taking toys that are being thrown might be more effective.

singlewiththree
19-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Never, I don't agree with time outs. Imagine it's your first day in a new job, you've made a silly mistake cos you weren't sure of the rules. Your boss tells you off and makes you sit on a step away from everyone else to think about your behaviour. Then makes you apologise to everyone and go back to work and work nicely with everyone else. How do you feel after that, do you now feel confident that you can do your job properly, did you actually learn anything from making that mistake and now know how to do it right the next time, does it make you want to speak to your new work colleagues or are you too embarrassed, angry and humiliated and just want to go home and never go back to work again?
17months is too young for a child to understand a time out, removing him from the situation and distracting him and taking toys that are being thrown might be more effective.

Well said Helen.