PDA

View Full Version : Help with the lovely doggy odour in our house!

Pixie dust
19-01-2012, 10:06 AM
We have a nearly 4 year old Lab who loves nothing more than getting out in the lovely wet muddy garden. I have noticed the house has that not so lovely doggy smell at the moment. In the summer we have all the windows open but it's to cold now. I don't want it to put of any prospective parents.

Anyone have any ideas on getting the house to smell a bit sweeter.

AliceK
19-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Oh that sweet smell of wet dog, I know it well :laughing:

I use lots of doggy deodorant spray on my dog and his bedding and wash his bedding at least once a week which seems to help. I also have various automatic air freshner sprays around the house but you need to be careful about the mindees not being allergic to them and keep them up high out of reach. I always have my windows open a bit even when it's really cold if only for a couple of hours a day, you can't beat a bit of fresh air.

xxx

Mouse
19-01-2012, 10:21 AM
What about burning some candles?

I often light some when the odour from a dirty nappy is lingering! Obvioulsy they're out of reach of the children etc etc, but they do help to shift the pong.

Tippy Toes
19-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I dont have a dog but can recommend the febreze room spay! Its fab.

I also burn scented candles in the evenings.

Hope you find something that works xx

sarahjane
19-01-2012, 11:43 AM
:laughing: I have a lab too, the muddy smell is not too bad, it's the 'I've rolled in fox poo and smell beautiful' smell that really gets me :rolleyes:

I use the automatic sprays etc to help shift the smell too

miss mopple
19-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I burn yankee tarts through the day in my electric burner. It works a treat :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
19-01-2012, 12:51 PM
I sympathise - we live on a farm and there is nothing as tempting to our dog than the cow poo!

wash bedding frequently - we have lots of small fleece blankets and towels to swap about in her crate

bath when you can and burn yankee candles!

we only have a terrier now - much less dog to get smelly than our 2 labs :thumbsup:

QualityCare
19-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Washing of bedding and cushions etc if he gets on the sofa, we have a wooden floor and leather sofa and wash/wipe them frequently but on the rugs and upstairs carpets l use 1001 no vac pet freshener quick drying and pleasant smell, really good its the best one l've found.

LisaH
19-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I use the plug in sprays too, hate the wet dog smell :laughing:

Pixie dust
19-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone ...I burn Yankee candles at night(I love them) for some reason I thought we were not supposed to use plug in etc when minding .

I burn yankee tarts through the day in my electric burner. It works a treat

think I will look in to getting a tart burrner

ziggy
19-01-2012, 03:35 PM
I dont eat meat, only fish. I have a small terrier and have 2 mindees in nappies. I often joke that my house smells constantly of cooking fish, poo or the dog

I too burn candles in the evenings and if the smell is bad in the day i burn incense sticks as i think they are safer. Parents often comment on the nice smell of them

blue bear
19-01-2012, 07:57 PM
If it's in furnishings or carpets try putting chalk of bicarbonate of soda on and leaving over night, it soaks up the odour. Vacuum up in the morning.

mushpea
19-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I have the frebreeze plug in, he dosent really roll in the mud and our back garden is totaly block paved so its never too bad
what are yankee candles???

mum2two
20-01-2012, 08:12 AM
I have plug-ins everywhere! Have a dual one in the hall (so it alternates smells) plus a automatic one, which goes off every half hr. So people smell something nice as soon as I open the door!

Have another plug-in in the corner in the living room, and one upstairs in DS room.

I have 2 dogs - but have always said I never want to have a doggy smelling house!! We steam the carpets once a week too.

xx

childminder54
21-01-2012, 10:22 PM
what are these never heard of them

onceinabluemoon
22-01-2012, 07:01 AM
I have two dogs and my house nerve smells 'doggy'.

I shampoo the carpets fortnightly (Vax dual upright - brill!), wash the dogs bedding regularly, and never let the dogs on the furniture. Works for us. :)

NicoleW
22-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Now you see, I LOVE Zeflora.

Plug ins have been known to contribute to cancer in dogs which is why they are banned in places like Denmark.

Wash the bedding once a week on a 90degree wash. :)

Saying that though my dogs live outside during the day! Don't feel bad though, they have a large shed that I've put in heat lamps with guards around, the whole shed inside has been fitted with carpet to make it inulated and it has feet so it isn't on the ground. I've also cut a hole in it and put some wind stopper things on so if it's really windy there is no draft.

My dog is a German Shepherd cross Husky and he just constantly pants in the house because his fur is SO thick, you could put your hand in and lose it - he loves it outside :-)

Dragonfly
22-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I dont think the plug ins are good for animals or humans wont have them in my house. I wont use freebreeze or shake and vax either (wooden floors so would be very silly any way) good old bicarb of soda, washing and open the windows for a airing!!
Do like yankee candles, what is the electric candle burner i know you can get a electric oil burner from neals yard.

jadavi
22-01-2012, 01:43 PM
We have a real problem with doggy smell when we vacuum. Stinks the house out. ANY IDEAS HOW TO COMBAT THAT? iT COMES FroM THE VACUUM CLEANER WHICH WE CHANGE WHEN THE BAG IS FULL and it gets stirred up I guess.

Throw the door open and freeze till the smell subsides.....