PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a dog?

13Katrina
18-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm at the pre-reg stage. I've done my CYPOP5, first aid and safeguarding. I need to finish my policies and risk assesments (I'm going to order some e-books from Sarah which I'm sure will help a lot).

I'm just about to send my Ofsted forms off and I'm feeling fairly positive about everything.

However, the only thing I'm really worried about is my dogs. I have a three-year old chihuahua and a one-year old toy poodle. Both are friendly, loving pets but can be a little hectic - especially the puppy. I'm stressing about this sooo much - especially as my own baby is due any day now. I hope to start work September (my maternity allowance ends August).

How do you handle dogs with childminding?

PixiePetal
18-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I have a 2yr old terrrier and had an old dog up till last year too :( have also had labradors in my minding time.

I highly recommend a crate to give dogs a personal space and a barrier between children and them, even if they are very friendly - there will be times when you might need the re assurance they are safe from poking children!

Of course she isn't in there all day and we go for walks sometimes - but we are on a farm so DH takes her with him a lot too.

RA the dogs/food bowls etc.

miss mopple
18-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I have 2 young dogs, a 2yr old lab x and a 10mth old lab/springer. Its a juggling act, and I mostly keep them away from mindees during the day unless we are out walking as its just easier. I am fortunate as in my house I have a seperate good sized room on the side of the house and the dogs have that during the day. It saves me worrying about watching them constantly (they are very bouncy!) and means they have their own space away from the kids :thumbsup:

Trouble
18-01-2012, 11:14 PM
i had a lab which was fab and i have a boxer nutty dog but he is kept separate from the kids as he is so bouncy:panic:

Penny1959
19-01-2012, 05:50 AM
I have 2 Jack Russells. As others have said it is important to give both the dogs and the mindees space.

The dog crates are great and if you dont have one I recommend you get one and get your dogs used to the idea of going in there. Mine think of the crate as their bed (indeed their bed is there) and they go in very happily and even whennomindees here they still use the crate - we just don't shut the door on it.

I think dogs and children are both unpredictable and so best to keep apart unless on a walk where both have spae to run around - and if they want to - to avoid each other.

Penny :)

mrs robbie williams
19-01-2012, 06:34 AM
we have a lab she is 4 and is brilliant, we rescued her and she is such a gem. Loves kids, the cats, even plays with the rabbits. she is so gentle. I dont lock her away, my mindee who is now 5 but when she was little she used to have her nap with the dog on the sofa. Mrs O liked her as do all my parents. I ra her, her food/water bowls, dog mess, and record her vaccinations and flea/worm treatment xx

BuggsieMoo
19-01-2012, 07:57 AM
I have a 5 year old GSD/Doberman who is soft as anything. He has his own personal space in my utility room where he can see everyone and they can still interact with him but he is behind a gate. He is out all the time other than hours of childminding. Not so much cos I dont trust him, but less of the children to not torment him LOL!

BuggsieMoo x

Oh I also had him before I registered and Ofsted were not bothered at all as long as I RA'd it x

adele1985
19-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Hi hun
I have a 2 year old lab and a 1 year old german shepard - the german shepards goes to work with my partner and my lab just sleeps in the front room I spend most of the time in the playroom so the kids arnt with the dog all the time, there are times the children have time to play with him with his ball or we take him for a walk which they love - hes never left alone with the kids if i need the loo during the day the dog comes with me and lays on the landing

When he was a puppy he was kept in the utility room with his bed and toys most of the day as he was very bouncy

AliceK
19-01-2012, 08:18 AM
When I started childminding I had a very large very old dog. He never had a crate as he always wanted to be in amongst everything and everybody, he just slept most of the day despite the noise and chaos in the house. We lost him and last summer I got a Puppy, Springer Spaniel. I had a crate for him from day 1, that's where his bed is and some of his toys. I keep the crate in the snug area off the kitchen. He is in there when the children are in the kitchen eating or doing crafts etc. He does have supervised access to the children but because he is still a bit mad and bouncy being a puppy it's only when I can closely supervise them all. He also has his own area of the garden. As long as you RA your dogs and everything to do with them then you shouldn't have a problem. Just remember that even the most placid dog could get cross if they are poked, prodded, trodden on by LO's so don't leave them alone together.

xxxx

sarahjane
19-01-2012, 09:49 AM
I have an 11 year old springer and a 3 year old lab, the springer has the run of the house and spends most of her day hiding upstairs. The Lab spends her day in the kitchen with a stair gate on, so she can see what's going on etc she's done that since she was a pup and that is what she is used to and quite happy. Both dogs are very good around the mindee's but obviously are not left alone with them.
I actually find that most parents are ok with them, those that don't have dogs like the fact that their children are able to spend some time with them, and many of my parents in the past have also had dogs.

VINASOL
19-01-2012, 10:13 AM
i have an 8m old Springer spaniel. She's not with the kids when I'm working and has run of the consveratory area and she has her crate (totally recommend). Most of my kids are OK with her but she is so very bouncy still but I do ensure that we all take her out to the park to let her off lead.

I have a cat too and I don't allow him down during the day...i hate it when I find a cat or dog hair on the kids so I make sure my front room (where children are) is completely pet-free whilst working.

tialil
19-01-2012, 11:04 AM
We have a 16 wk old bichon who has very limited access to the children at the moment. We wouldnt get him when I was full time and waited until work went quiet and when the last of my under 5's left we went straight to get him.

He spends his time in his crate when I am working (I make sure I wear him out before I start work so that he has a sleep) . I only work 2 1/2 hours each evening(term time) so dont feel guilty about him being in the crate plus he is safe. I do get him out depending on the children but it tends to be during the last 10-15 mins before the children go home for him to slowly get used to the children. I wont get him out for 10 mins and put him back as I do not think its fair on him.
I did check with the families before we got him as didnt want to upset anyone - apart from 1 family they all have dogs and all said ''go fo it''.

We also have cats who roam the house, but , they are wise and tend to stay upstairs out of the way :cool:

LisaH
19-01-2012, 01:25 PM
We have a 6M old Shih Tzu puppy and he absolutely adores all the mindees. He spends most of the day in the same room as us but goes to his crate in the kitchen when he wants a bit of peace and quiet :laughing:

He also has his own area in the garden, so luckily cleaning up his mess isn't too big an issue.
I'm due to be inspected again later this year, 1st with a dog, so should be interesting!!

watgem
19-01-2012, 02:32 PM
we have a 10 year old colliexlab an her daughter who is 5, the daughter likes to sleep on the stairs behind the stair gate an mum sleeps in the kitchen behind the stairgate. Mum loves the kids and loves being petted but I usually close the kitchen door when I have very LO who like to pull ears etc, if we go in the kitchen I put mum upsairs.