PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Shamai
18-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi - am looking for some advice please. I am minding a 3.5yo girl who (I presume) is used to getting what she wants, when she wants! I've had a few problems but not quite sure how to deal with them - firstly when I call her name I never get a response first time - I always have to call her 3 maybe 4 times before she answers me - which is usually without her turning round to face me. I did wonder if she may have a hearing problem but the fact that she responds eventually makes me think maybe not! Secondly, she tends to nod or shake her head instead of answer me - not all the time but quite alot. She is quite dramatic when she is upset or if I ask her to tidy toys away and will put her head in her hands and lay on the floor. I've sorted that one out with a reward chart which is working really well :) She can be a happy, polite and loveable little girl but I really don't know how to handle the communication side of things. Any advice would be great, thank you x

nic t
18-01-2012, 08:12 PM
How is her speech? Could this be a reason why she shakes/nods her head?

It is difficult to tell if it is a behavioural problem or maybe a hearing/speech and language issue.

I think I would suggest to parents that they get her hearing checked.

rosebud
18-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I think I would work on one thing at a time. So if the reward chart is working just carry on with that and eventually reward her if she answers you the first time you call her name. Gently encourage her to "use her words" instead of just nodding or shaking her head but it sounds to me like you're already on the right track.

Shamai
18-01-2012, 08:31 PM
How is her speech? Could this be a reason why she shakes/nods her head?

It is difficult to tell if it is a behavioural problem or maybe a hearing/speech and language issue.

I think I would suggest to parents that they get her hearing checked.

Her speech is clear although she speaks quite slowly and struggles to get her words out sometimes - as if her mind is racing ahead in front of the actual words coming out (if that makes sense).

happydays1
19-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi just a little bit of advice, when you need to call her then instead of just saying her name, go to her make sure she looks at you and then say her name then she will know your talking to her. When children of this age are busy doing something they are concentrating on what they are doing and will not hear you, its not a speech or hearing problem just a stage of development. Not to say there isn't something going on but this is the first thing to try. (language development 1):)

Shamai
19-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi just a little bit of advice, when you need to call her then instead of just saying her name, go to her make sure she looks at you and then say her name then she will know your talking to her. When children of this age are busy doing something they are concentrating on what they are doing and will not hear you, its not a speech or hearing problem just a stage of development. Not to say there isn't something going on but this is the first thing to try. (language development 1):)

Hi yes I try to make sure I'm near/facing her but on occasions ie. when she's running in the park, it does worry me that she does not acknowledge me or stop when I call her. I appreciate your advice tho and will keep trying :)