PDA

View Full Version : Retainer

laura06
18-01-2012, 02:26 PM
If I pay a childminder a retainer fee and my child only attends before and afterschool. Do I have to pay 1/2 for the holidays additional to the 4 weeks half pay on my contract for parent and childminder holidays or can I put my child elsewhere without having to pay when the child isn't there and sent somewhere else like a holiday club? :)

rosebud
18-01-2012, 02:36 PM
It depends on the terms of your contract and i don't think you've given enough details to answer the question. What do you pay the retainer for?

laura06
18-01-2012, 02:45 PM
It depends on the terms of your contract and i don't think you've given enough details to answer the question. What do you pay the retainer for?

It's a standard contract from the NCMA and the retainer is for keeping the place when my child is not there and covers from start to finish and is half the usual fee.

laura06
18-01-2012, 02:55 PM
the retainer is for keeping the place when my child is not there and it is from the start date to finish. it's a standard NCMA contract and I paid 1/2 the weekly fee. :)

rickysmiths
18-01-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm afraid there is no 'Standard' Contract as such. It depends on what your childminder has filled in and you have agreed to and we all do things differently.

If your contract says you pay a 1/2 fee retainer in the school holidays then if you take your holidays then which if your child is at school you prob do then you would pay normal fees for the 39 weeks of the school year and 1/2 fee for the 13 weeks holidays.

If you take your 4 weeks holiday in term time and you only have to pay 1/2 fee for your holilday then you would have an additional 4 weeks at half fee if that is what the contract says.

You pay the retainer for the holiday because you are not using it but want the before and after school place after the holiday. It is unlikely the cm could fill this place for the short holiday times in 17 years for example I have never had a request for school holiday care only. You therefore have to keep this place open. If you are paying the retainer you can use the place at any time with reasonable notice and by paying the top up to full fee. If you choose not to use the place you should not expect a refund of fees.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

rosebud
18-01-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm afraid there is no 'Standard' Contract as such. It depends on what your childminder has filled in and you have agreed to and we all do things differently.

If your contract says you pay a 1/2 fee retainer in the school holidays then if you take your holidays then which if your child is at school you prob do then you would pay normal fees for the 39 weeks of the school year and 1/2 fee for the 13 weeks holidays.

If you take your 4 weeks holiday in term time and you only have to pay 1/2 fee for your holilday then you would have an additional 4 weeks at half fee if that is what the contract says.

You pay the retainer for the holiday because you are not using it but want the before and after school place after the holiday. It is unlikely the cm could fill this place for the short holiday times in 17 years for example I have never had a request for school holiday care only. You therefore have to keep this place open. If you are paying the retainer you can use the place at any time with reasonable notice and by paying the top up to full fee. If you choose not to use the place you should not expect a refund of fees.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

I agree - this sounds right to me.

sammiec
20-01-2012, 04:13 PM
im in the process of sorting out what my terms and fee's will be. Im new to all this and didnt realise we charged a retainer fee? how much would this normally be? Im still getting my head around it being a business and dont want to charge too much or be ripped off and loose money so some guidence would be so helpful. thank you!!