PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge more for after school care?

Tippy Toes
18-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi All

I look after a little one who is starting school this year.

Parent is popping in for a chat tonight about after school care and I was just wondering whether you charge more for after school care.

This parent currently pays me £3.50 per hr when her child is here in the day although my fees have increased to £3.85 since this I still only charge her what we agreed when she started.

However my after-school fees are £7 for the first hr (which includes the collection fee and a snack) and then £4 every hr after.

Do you think this is fair?

When I first started childminding I was charging £3.50 for afterschoolers with no minimum hours. Most of the children I looked after where only attending for an hr after school and after a while I felt it was not worth my while for such a short amount of money.

What are your views? Do you charge more?

XX

The Juggler
18-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I charge 50p per hour over and above my normal rate for after school.

i would say £7 an hour for afterschool as a minimum fee is fine hon. However, if say a parent needs 3 hours I would charge probably just £4 hour (so slightly more than your normal rate). But you can charge what you like - it's your business. I would say though to keep mum happy if she's used to 3.50 just to say £7 minimum but £12 for 3 hours.:)

Zumba-mum
18-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Where i leave the cm here charge a plat fee for after school of £15. I;ve not got any but will be doing the same.

Cazz
18-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I charge 20p per hour more for school age children. Under 5's are £3.50 per hour and once they're in full time education it's £3.70 per hour. It's not much more but it takes into account the few hours, school runs and the extra food they eat!

I haven't had the situation yet but if I had a family with a school age child and an under 5 that was with me during the day I would consider offering a sibling discount so they are both charged £3.50 per hour.

rosebud
18-01-2012, 02:39 PM
It sounds fair to me. My rates are slightly less than yours but I do the same. More for the first hour (to make it worth while) and then hourly after that.

singingcactus
18-01-2012, 03:50 PM
I charge my usual hourly rate for both school age and young ones.

babs
18-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I charge £15 flat fee for after school .

ziggy
18-01-2012, 05:21 PM
i charge 3.20 for under 5's and 3.50 for after school. Although next september if i'm still working i'm going to charge a set fee for after school as doing odd hours isnt worth it

sarahjane
18-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I charge one price for one child (that I have had since 6 months) and a higher rate for another child that I took on reluctantly and was trying to put off but that didn't work :rolleyes:
Normally I just charge my normal hourly rate but for complete hours (so if I pick up at 3.30 I charge from 3 and visa versa at the go home point!

Chimps Childminding
18-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I charge the same hourly rate (3.50), but a mimimum of 1 hour in the morning and 2 hours at night!!

maisiemog
18-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I charge 20p per hour more for school age children. Under 5's are £3.50 per hour and once they're in full time education it's £3.70 per hour. It's not much more but it takes into account the few hours, school runs and the extra food they eat!

I haven't had the situation yet but if I had a family with a school age child and an under 5 that was with me during the day I would consider offering a sibling discount so they are both charged £3.50 per hour.

This is what I do. £3.50ph for under 5s. £3.75 when at school but if a younger sibling attends then they pay £3.50 with a minimum charge of £7 a day!

mushpea
18-01-2012, 06:30 PM
i charge the same for all children,, if you can get away with charging more and can justify your reasons then great but I dont see that a school child costs anymore to look after than a littly, if you dont want them eating loads cause its expensive then either ask the parents to send snack or just offer a peice of fruit or a slice of toast, if they want anymore say No cause you wont eat your dinners at home

Chatterbox Childcare
18-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I charge a flat session fee of £14 from pickup to 6pm otherwise I could be collecting in the winter, taking the little ones out for £3.50 if parents collected at 4.30.

From a business point of view I want to know that I am being paid until 6pm for each space that I have and if I charged hourly this wouldn't happen

Tippy Toes
18-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks all :)

Chimps Childminding
18-01-2012, 08:43 PM
i charge the same for all children,, if you can get away with charging more and can justify your reasons then great but I dont see that a school child costs anymore to look after than a littly, if you dont want them eating loads cause its expensive then either ask the parents to send snack or just offer a peice of fruit or a slice of toast, if they want anymore say No cause you wont eat your dinners at home

I charge a minimum of 1 hour in the morning and 2 at night because I don't want to be getting up for less than £3.50 and I'm sure most parents wouldn't either. the 2 hours minimum at night is also so it is worth my while especially when I have to do the school run! this includes snacks and drinks (but I don't supply meals)!

buildingblocks
18-01-2012, 09:43 PM
When I cared for school age children my hourly fee for under 5 was £3.50. I charged £4 an hour for the school aged one with a minimum of three hours one before and 2 after - so charging £12 minimum.