PDA

View Full Version : 3 year old in full time ed.Still count as one of your under 5's?

*daisychain*
18-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Just a quick question while I have 3 sleeping babies (oh yeah!:clapping:)
If a 3 year old is in full time at school nursery does it still count as one of your 3 under 5 ?

The Juggler
18-01-2012, 01:31 PM
short answer - yes. sorry hon. even if they are 4 and in full time nursery they still count. It's only when they are full time reception that they can be a rising 5.

BuggsieMoo
18-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Yes as nursery school is not compulsory.

They only move up in the brackets when they start at full time school and do five full days a week. When they are still doing their half days as most schools do for reception year for a month or so, they are still in this bracket - when they go full time, they class as a rising 5 - as long as this is also on your certificate about caring for 4 and 5 year olds in full time education.
BuggsisMoo x

*daisychain*
18-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Thank you for your speedy replies :)

Goatgirl
18-01-2012, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=BuggsieMoo;1038704]Yes as nursery school is not compulsory.

They only move up in the brackets when they start at full time school and do five full days a week. When they are still doing their half days as most schools do for reception year for a month or so, they are still in this bracket - when they go full time, they class as a rising 5 - as long as this is also on your certificate about caring for 4 and 5 year olds in full time education.
BuggsisMoo x[/QUOTE

I agree: the rising fives clause applies only to children in full time education at an actual school.

A note though: it isn't because it is compulsory. Reception year isn't compulsory, its just 'the norm'. Children in England don't legally have to be in full time education until the 31st August after their 5th birthday and that education needn't be in a school. They may be home educated for example :thumbsup: Just to avoid confusion.

best wishes,
Wendy :)

dette
18-01-2012, 01:43 PM
in my recent OFSTED inspection i was told that while mindees are out at nursery they dont count towards your total even though you may be responsible for them at the time.you need to count the children who are physicaly with you in your total number of children ,but you may come unstuck if you fill the space while mindee is out only to find that nursery has to close unexpectedly.but its your call

*daisychain*
18-01-2012, 01:50 PM
It's all slightly confusing. Children here(Manchester) are in full time 5 days a week at 3 years old. The nursery school I used to work at took children on, the day after their 3rd birthday and were full time within a month!

JCrakers
18-01-2012, 01:51 PM
in my recent OFSTED inspection i was told that while mindees are out at nursery they dont count towards your total even though you may be responsible for them at the time.you need to count the children who are physicaly with you in your total number of children ,but you may come unstuck if you fill the space while mindee is out only to find that nursery has to close unexpectedly.but its your call

I have 3 under 5 on a Thurs while one is at preschool 9-3pm but Im not responsible for her until 3pm so if preschool wasnt open, Mum would have to pick her up. Contracted 3-6pm.
If I was contracted 9-6pm then I wouldnt be able to fill the space but then again, they would be paying for it :D

Goatgirl
18-01-2012, 06:02 PM
It's all slightly confusing. Children here(Manchester) are in full time 5 days a week at 3 years old. The nursery school I used to work at took children on, the day after their 3rd birthday and were full time within a month!

If its a mindee and not your own child, they will count as an under 5. But only during the actual hours you are minding them. you could take on another between the hours they are in nursery.... :)

onceinabluemoon
18-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Yes as nursery school is not compulsory.

School isn't compulsory either. Children have to receive an education, in school or otherwise. A lot of people don't realise this as they don't get told so forgive me for repeating what flora bird has already said.

As others have said, the rising fives clause only comes in when they are at school not nursery. Somebody else asked ofsted about this a few months ago and that was their answer.

Wendybird
18-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Sorry to hijack, but what happens over school holidays? Are 4 and 5 year olds still classed as rising 5s (if they are in full time reception)?

onceinabluemoon
18-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Sorry to hijack, but what happens over school holidays? Are 4 and 5 year olds still classed as rising 5s (if they are in full time reception)?

Yes but you do have to have the clause on your certificate for children in full time school to count as over fives for your numbers

FussyElmo
19-01-2012, 10:09 AM
School isn't compulsory either. Children have to receive an education, in school or otherwise. A lot of people don't realise this as they don't get told so forgive me for repeating what flora bird has already said.

As others have said, the rising fives clause only comes in when they are at school not nursery. Somebody else asked ofsted about this a few months ago and that was their answer.

Ofsted changed my certificate whem ds turned 4 and was in fulltime nursery school but not when he was 3.

A do who used to be an ofsted inspector told me to ring and get it changed once he was 4 :thumbsup: as I did think I had to wait for him to go into reception.

Mouse
19-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Just to confuse the matter further, the wording doesn't actually say they have to be in full time education.

It now says about 4 and 5 year olds who are only with you before and/or after a normal school day and/or in the holidays.

Ofsted seem unsure of the interpretation at the moment. As it reads, if a child went to school part-time, say 2 full days, they could count as being out of EY numbers on those 2 days if you dropped them off & picked them up?