PDA

View Full Version : Settleing in period

Diana67
18-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi dont know if posted in right place still finding my way round.I was going to advertice 4x 1hr settleing in sessions free on signing a contract how does this sound good or bad idea .

Diana67
18-01-2012, 10:26 AM
I have been reading posts and noticed most cm dont charge for settleing in period so may be to say they get 4x1hr sessions free on signing contract might not besuch good idea after all.

JCrakers
18-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I do 2x1hr settling in sessions for free. Any after that I charge for :D

Mouse
18-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I think most childminders do some free settling in sessions, but I don't think many of us promote the fact that we do. We should! It is a good selling point.

I give one 1 hour session and one 2 hour session.

Even if everyone else does it though, if you're the only one in your area who actually advertises that they do, it's got to make you stand out :thumbsup:

Tealady
18-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Something about your previous post made me think you may be getting muddled (If not, apologies!) Don't get settling in sessions muddled with settling in period.

Settling in session are where the child comes to your home for a brief visit 1-2 hours either with or without Parent to get familiar with you and your setting. It is up to you wether you charge for this or not. I don't if parent is here but do if they aren't or if they go at sometime during the session.

Settling in Period is commonly the first four weeks that the child attends your setting for full contract hours. It gives the arrangement time to bed down so as all parties can make sure they can work together going forward. You would charge for this.

Diana67
19-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone for comments Tealady thanks for verifying settleing in session and period im new too this i have had some 200 flyers made wish advertices 4x 1hr setting in sessions free on signing contract think I might have mucked up.So I need to invite them for visit to my setting so I could say 2x2hr sessions free.So should I write up contract on that visit as if the parent leaves im responsible and put on contract settleing in period 4wks after the 2x2hr free visits so during the 4wk period either party can change there mind and leave but I charge for this period correct then after 4wk period contracts in place .Im sorry so confused never realised how much paperwork etc was in volved want to get it right please HELP not adverticed as yet going to start promoting myself Feb once Iv got last min bits sorted just want everything right before 1st enquiry sorry if I go on thanks for your help Tealady:)

Mouse
19-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks everyone for comments Tealady thanks for verifying settleing in session and period im new too this i have had some 200 flyers made wish advertices 4x 1hr setting in sessions free on signing contract think I might have mucked up.So I need to invite them for visit to my setting so I could say 2x2hr sessions free.So should I write up contract on that visit as if the parent leaves im responsible and put on contract settleing in period 4wks after the 2x2hr free visits so during the 4wk period either party can change there mind and leave but I charge for this period correct then after 4wk period contracts in place .Im sorry so confused never realised how much paperwork etc was in volved want to get it right please HELP not adverticed as yet going to start promoting myself Feb once Iv got last min bits sorted just want everything right before 1st enquiry sorry if I go on thanks for your help Tealady:)

This is briefly what I do (others may do it differently, but this is what works for me):

Initial visit following a phone call or email. Parents come along with their child and we meet each other, talk about their needs, what I offer, charges etc.

They go away & think about it.

If they decide they want me to care for the child they come back and we go through the paperwork. They sign contracts and pay me a deposit (I take a months payment in advance). We agree on the date the child is to start properly and the date of the settling in seesions. The contract start date is put as the first day of proper childcare (ie. not the setting in sessions), with a 4 week settling in period.

Before the actual start date the child comes along for 2 settling in session. Parents leave them for an hour or 2 for them to play & for us to get to know each other. These sessions are free.

The settling in period starts on the first day the child comes to me properly. Parents have paid for the first month in advance (that's what I take the deposit for). If for any reason, within the first 4 weeks of proper care, either the parents or I decide it's not working out, we can end the contract as we're still in the settling period. All care that has been used needs to be paid for, but I would refund them any balance. (so, if they had paid me for 4 weeks in advance, but left after 2, I would refund the other 2 weeks).

Once the 4 weeks settling period is over, if either party wants to end the contract 4 weeks notice will be required.

Diana67
19-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks Mouse thats realy helped appreciated :)