PDA

View Full Version : How do i choose?

Demonjill
18-01-2012, 08:46 AM
I am getting enquiries all over the place just now - which is good lol but confusing

Does anyone have any ideas like a chart to see who they have at different times of day so they dont go over numbers.

As we are so restricted in Scotland with numbers i feel i have to choose carefully so as to be better financially etc

At the mo i have a retail job and CM twins every Thursday

I am about to sign up 2 brothers Mon - wed 1 at school 1 at nursery the one at school(5) would just be b4 and after school - maybe more in hols and other(4) before and after nursery (half fees while at nursery) so its a good starter for me and enough pennies to hand in notice. Mum is very nice and will be paying by standing order in advance so no complaints

So I have a Friday off which is fab.

New enquiry - almost 3yo will start nursery later in year but the gran helps with care so could be flexible in deciding what times i can look after lo as gran will fit in with me. Its only 3 days though 4.5 hours at a time ?? And also still leaving me with friday off yippee!!

Another poss enquiry is for alot more hours so do i hold off for them (maybe) or sign up what i know is definite and will work round me?

And what do i put in my notice for work - NEVER written one before? lol

Thanks so much :thumbsup::thumbsup:

catminder
18-01-2012, 09:42 AM
I would probably sign up the definate mindees, sounds good that there is some flexibility as well. If something does come of the other enquiry you may be able to fit them all in anyway - hope it all works out.
As for your job, I would just say you are resigning with x weeks notice because you are going to be a full time childminder.

smurfette
18-01-2012, 09:44 AM
:clapping: yay! Delighted for you that you have got so many enquiries after your worry at the start! I just do a rough chart broken down into mornings and afternoons as have my own three in the afternoon and school runs to do I don't want to take on too much .. We don't have the same restrictions here in ireland

Could you get those enquiries in quick smart even in one evening to see how you get on and then you have all the info at hand to make a decision?

Can't help with the notice sorry far too long since I wrote a letter like that sure someone more knowledgeable will be along! Good luck whatever u decide!

Zoomie
18-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Your address (so that they can send P45 etc)

the date

Dear ....

In terms of my contract of employment with (the company), I am required to give xx days / weeks notice of my intention to leave. therefore my last day of work will be xxx.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you / everyone else much success in the future.

Yours sincerely

xxxxx

Demonjill
18-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone

The problem with my notice is

I was originally taken on as a xmas temp Sep 2010 and my temp contract ended 8th January 2011

But.. I got kept on temporarily and then got made permanent in March 2011 and have been ever since

I do not have another contract since that original one so what happens anyone know?

Because the temp has and end date on it does that mean ive been working with no contract all this time? as i have neevr signed anything since that

Therefor (sorry..) do i legally only have to give 1 week notice??

I would like to leave on good terms though if poss and thought 2 weeks would be reasonable and fits in with when my new mindees want to start.

hoping to hand notice in on Friday so advice will be appreciated

marnieb
18-01-2012, 12:46 PM
yes, I would say if you signed a temporary contract that had that wording on it, but they then kept you on full-time and didnt do another contract, then you are not under a current contract atm....

So yes, i think its a week notice if you have no contract? I suppose it depends if you want to leave on good terms in case you ever want to go back?

Wendybird
18-01-2012, 12:53 PM
You may need to ask your superviser at work what your notice period is - I'm not sure legally - it depends on your contract. My last job was 2 months notice (but I was a manager, so longer than for most staff). If you've no contract they haven't covered themselves very well! I think in your situation 2 weeks is good - it gives them enough time to schedule to fill in your hours.

As to which mindees to take - I think this is very personal. I have also been having lots of enquiries and I met everyone who wanted a slot and then picked who I thought would be the right choice for me (good fit with other kids, nice family, reasonable hours). My first mindee I took on only wanted a few hours and I regretted it - so now look for longer hours. I had to give notice anyway due to non-payment and other issues and have had lots of enquiries for those spaces. If you are getting lots of enquiries you are probably doing something right in your advertising and I would hold out for something that feels right on both personal and financial levels. I have a minimum of 5 hours/day anyway - I woudn't do 4.5 particularly if your spaces are so limited. Maybe they can do one full day instead of half-days if they are flexible? That way they don't take up so much space?

samb
18-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I won't attatch my document as it has all the info about the kids I look after but yes I use a document i made in Word - just a table I made. It has...

Rows - Mon down to Fri but these are each split with number of children allowed that i have then colour coded for EY and older and also variation.

Columns - Just the first for the days of the week then the rest I use the "split cell" function - right click and choose split cell then choose how many columns you need in that row. For example if a child comes to you but not for the full day you might want to split it in 3 - the middle section being when they attend with a blank bit for before and after. Somtimes more than 1 child will fit in this row - if for example you have a child in 8-12 then another 1-6 they can go in the same row as it is only 1 space they are filling. I have another row for each day where i write potential group activities so i have it all on 1 sheet.

Gosh that sounds really complicated but honestly it isn't! :blush:

winstonian
19-01-2012, 07:26 AM
I do the same as SamB - I have lots of part timers and 3 of my own and an assistant so some rows may have 4 children all at different times! It is so much clearer when its written down

samb
19-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I do the same as SamB - I have lots of part timers and 3 of my own and an assistant so some rows may have 4 children all at different times! It is so much clearer when its written down

Lol glad it made sense to someone then!