PDA

View Full Version : JOB INCOME V CM INCOME???

Demonjill
17-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Hi peeps

Im weighing up: (a) cm more than i do just now with (b) my retail part time job and one of the things that pops up is obviously money - just wondered

If you all make more/less money cm than you ever have with previous jobs?
If there have been times with no/little income?
How does they compare with being able to do things in life eg more/less holidays, paying off mortgage, savings etc

I know CM gives me the potential to make more money than i do now - and i like money!! lol

Although in Scotland we are limited strongly on our numbers as the ages of children are taken into account until 16 here

eg I am reg to have 6 under 16 of which 3 can be preschool of which 1 can be under 1

So my own 2 kids 14 and 7 are in my numbers and still will be for ages - very unfair

When i was reg before it was bit better as it was

8 under 16 of which 6 under 12 of which 3 preschool of which 1 under 1

Baildon bears
17-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I worked in retail before I became a childminder, childminding let's me work more hours as I don't have to worry about childcare my self, I don't spend half as much ( was always tempted on my way home from work by the shops) I'm there for my children all the time. I earn much more and am my own boss. There no comparison for me, I used to work in Debenhams and I actually have hot sweats when I go in there now, could not stand to work inside all day with no view and some customers don't get me started lol. But I did that for about 10 years, never again.

sarahjane
17-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I have up to a couple of months ago earnt a good income from CM with the potential to earn more as I keep after school and holiday care to an absolute minimum. However at the moment things are dire due to children leaving within weeks of each other (valid reasons) and not being able to replace them yet. So be aware that there are fluctuations in income at very short notice at times.

Demonjill
17-01-2012, 11:55 PM
I worked in retail before I became a childminder, childminding let's me work more hours as I don't have to worry about childcare my self, I don't spend half as much ( was always tempted on my way home from work by the shops) I'm there for my children all the time. I earn much more and am my own boss. There no comparison for me, I used to work in Debenhams and I actually have hot sweats when I go in there now, could not stand to work inside all day with no view and some customers don't get me started lol. But I did that for about 10 years, never again.

lol spooky - its Debenhams I work lol

ziggy
18-01-2012, 08:20 AM
There have been times i was earning more than when i worked in school/nursery but that's obviously when i'm full. Havent been full now for over a year and future not looking good.

In fact in process of looking for job back in England and moving back. Hardest part for me is lack of security as i live alone and this is my only income.

I suppose it all depends on the need for childcare in your area

Penny1959
18-01-2012, 09:34 AM
The potential to earn more is good with childminding (no costs for own childcare, good tax position, no travel costs just to get to work)

However childminding is never going to be 100% secure financially and that in its self can be very worrying and to get another non childminding job just when you need to - in todays ecconomic climate can be very difficult.

Having said that in todays climate lots of people are losing their jobs - end of income - at least with childminding you usually have some income coming in from a part time child or school children - and most do manage for a period of time on less money.

So I think the bottom line for me (having tried it on the other side of the fence) is the fact that I prefer being my own boss - and although I work long hours - that is my choice - no one tells me what hours I have to do - or when I have to do thm. I like the flexibilty of childminding - that each day can be as different as I want it to be - or can be 'a free play' day and no one says 'what about this or that?'

However I think the fact that you have posted several times about if you should give up your retail job or not - suggests that maybe you are not very sure at all about being a full time childminder and now is not the right time for you.

Whe I gave up my full time time, well paid job with perks at the LA - I did not have a clue if Ofsted would re register me, if I would get any children (never mind enough to be financially viable) if my health issue would prevent me from registering or being able to care for the children to the standard I expect from myself BUT I knew that I no longer wanted to stay in my old job and gave notice knowing full well that I was taking a leap into the unknown.

I called it a leap of faith - if full time childminding is the right choice for you - you will know and you will make that leap of faith.

Good luck in whatever you decide

Penny :)

Baildon bears
18-01-2012, 10:54 AM
The potential to earn more is good with childminding (no costs for own childcare, good tax position, no travel costs just to get to work)

However childminding is never going to be 100% secure financially and that in its self can be very worrying and to get another non childminding job just when you need to - in todays ecconomic climate can be very difficult.

Having said that in todays climate lots of people are losing their jobs - end of income - at least with childminding you usually have some income coming in from a part time child or school children - and most do manage for a period of time on less money.

So I think the bottom line for me (having tried it on the other side of the fence) is the fact that I prefer being my own boss - and although I work long hours - that is my choice - no one tells me what hours I have to do - or when I have to do thm. I like the flexibilty of childminding - that each day can be as different as I want it to be - or can be 'a free play' day and no one says 'what about this or that?'

However I think the fact that you have posted several times about if you should give up your retail job or not - suggests that maybe you are not very sure at all about being a full time childminder and now is not the right time for you.

Whe I gave up my full time time, well paid job with perks at the LA - I did not have a clue if Ofsted would re register me, if I would get any children (never mind enough to be financially viable) if my health issue would prevent me from registering or being able to care for the children to the standard I expect from myself BUT I knew that I no longer wanted to stay in my old job and gave notice knowing full well that I was taking a leap into the unknown.

I called it a leap of faith - if full time childminding is the right choice for you - you will know and you will make that leap of faith.

Very wise words, you are right, I know Childminding is the right job for me with out a doubt, but its not for everyone, I loved working at Debenams 70% of the time, I miss the girls, we did have a right laugh, but the work had no fullfillment for me if that makes sense. I could spend a day folding jumpers on a table, just for them to get messed up in 5 seconds, or I could really make a difference to a childs life. Good luck what ever you decide.

Demonjill
18-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Very wise words, you are right, I know Childminding is the right job for me with out a doubt, but its not for everyone, I loved working at Debenams 70% of the time, I miss the girls, we did have a right laugh, but the work had no fullfillment for me if that makes sense. I could spend a day folding jumpers on a table, just for them to get messed up in 5 seconds, or I could really make a difference to a childs life. Good luck what ever you decide.

lol folding jumpers dont get me started lol

I do like my job in Debenhams but I dont LOVE it i know im up for promotion to senior sales soon and if it was what i wanted then that would b fab - but alas....

I look forward to Thursdays when I mind the twins. I enjoy building up my resources and getting new ideas for future mindees.

I know whatever job i do i give it 100% and then some - so those jumpers will be folded perfectly lol and that CV will be awesome

Demonjill
18-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Thanks Penny alot of that helps

I know i have posted several times and its not because I dont want to leave my retail job its more to get info from all different people about how things are for them etc

But if for example lots on here said OMG DONT DO IT i wouldnt then cancel everything and run a mile lol cos then would never know

I just want as much info and experiences from others to put with my info and then will make my own decision

I will leave my retail job and i will give CM a go that much i do know

Baildon bears
18-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Then again theres nothing wrong with enjoying two jobs, I love childminding and I love sewing, but I know I cant make a living out of sewing so Childminding takes over, if your happy doing both then so be it. :D:D

Monkey26
18-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I started childminding part time when I was a university student (2006).
When I finished uni I went into full time childminding (2007).
In 2010 I did a nursing auxiliary course which I very much enjoyed and now...
In 2012 I childmind three days a week and work at the hospital two days :)

This balance works perfectly for me; I was getting very bogged down in paperwork, had uncertainty of children coming or going and was genuinely unhappy as a childminder for about 12 months :( But funnily enough, now that I only work three days a week I have an assistant and we busier than ever on those three days! I think I deal with it better now though because I am older, I have more experience and I have an assistant to help me out with the everyday bits n bobs which gives me more time and mental space to deal with the paperwork... does that all make sense?! xx

EmmaReed84
18-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I was sooo lucky to find a family right away for 2 children under 5 for 50 hours a week, then to get an after schoolie for two, now I have a schoolie frop off and pick up (then take to another CM) The two schoolies I dont "need" so their money goes in to savings for things like tax, insurance, emergencies... Also I will be covered for 6 months wage should my full timers leave.

I think when it comes to CM you have to think ahead and be prepared for a few months out of work every now and then.

mummyMia
18-01-2012, 02:30 PM
By childminding, I will never be able to earn even close to what I used to earn from my previous job. I do miss the money but not nearly as much as I would miss my own children if I was still in that job. :)

Gizmo
18-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I earn more now than I did as an accounts assistant and when I recently lost a full time mindee I looked into going back to working in an office. I sat down with a plain piece of paper with for and against on it, and yep im still minding and still loving it, and yes it might change in August when dd starts school but I doubt it

Demonjill
18-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I earn more now than I did as an accounts assistant and when I recently lost a full time mindee I looked into going back to working in an office. I sat down with a plain piece of paper with for and against on it, and yep im still minding and still loving it, and yes it might change in August when dd starts school but I doubt it

Ah hun i remember you wanting to get a job for a while.

I have done the for and against thing too. :thumbsup: keep adding more and going back to it.

so nervous to hand in my notice though its gonna be such a shock to them. ive tried writing the letter but scrunched up as have no idea what to put. :(

I will prob be asking your advice when im up n running proper hun if thats ok xx

Gherkin
18-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I earn less as a childminder than I did when I worked but I get to be with my kids although I have more to worry about as a childminder.

Wendybird
18-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I can see from your posts that you are having a difficult time with quiting this job. You are clearly a very good, reliable employee and they will be sad to see you go. BUT, people quit jobs all the time. I think you are over-thinking your letter. Your letter goes to HR in a file. It doesn't need to be long, thought-out or 'good' in any way. Here's how you quit a job (I do mean this to be helpful, I hope you take it that way!):

You to supervisor: 'Can I have a word?'
Superviser: 'Of course, blah blah blah'
You: 'I'm very sorry to do this, but I am going to have to hand in my notice. (hand over letter) I've really enjoyed this job, but I've decided to start childminding. I've always wanted to do it and the opportunity has come along to make it financially viable for me. According to my contract I need to give 2 weeks notice, which makes my last day xxxxx'
Supervisor: 'I'm really sorry to hear that and you'll be missed. Of course I'm happy about your new job blah blah blah.' Goes off to find HR and mentally starts to reconfigure work schedule.

Here is what you write in the letter:

Dear Supervisor,

It is with regret that I have to inform you of my notice to terminate my employment contract with Debenhams. I have really enjoyed working here. In accordance with my last signed contract I need to give two weeks notice. I calculate my last working day to be xxxxxxx.

I wish you and the team the best of luck for the future.

Regards,

Jill

I really hope that helps. You will feel so much better once it is done and you can focus on your future. It sounds as though you are a very good employee and in my experince, good employees can always come back. If your boss is any kind of decent she'll be really happy for you or at least she'll fake it. :p

Demonjill
18-01-2012, 11:13 PM
I can see from your posts that you are having a difficult time with quiting this job. You are clearly a very good, reliable employee and they will be sad to see you go. BUT, people quit jobs all the time. I think you are over-thinking your letter. Your letter goes to HR in a file. It doesn't need to be long, thought-out or 'good' in any way. Here's how you quit a job (I do mean this to be helpful, I hope you take it that way!):

You to supervisor: 'Can I have a word?'
Superviser: 'Of course, blah blah blah'
You: 'I'm very sorry to do this, but I am going to have to hand in my notice. (hand over letter) I've really enjoyed this job, but I've decided to start childminding. I've always wanted to do it and the opportunity has come along to make it financially viable for me. According to my contract I need to give 2 weeks notice, which makes my last day xxxxx'
Supervisor: 'I'm really sorry to hear that and you'll be missed. Of course I'm happy about your new job blah blah blah.' Goes off to find HR and mentally starts to reconfigure work schedule.

Here is what you write in the letter:

Dear Supervisor,

It is with regret that I have to inform you of my notice to terminate my employment contract with Debenhams. I have really enjoyed working here. In accordance with my last signed contract I need to give two weeks notice. I calculate my last working day to be xxxxxxx.

I wish you and the team the best of luck for the future.

Regards,

Jill

I really hope that helps. You will feel so much better once it is done and you can focus on your future. It sounds as though you are a very good employee and in my experince, good employees can always come back. If your boss is any kind of decent she'll be really happy for you or at least she'll fake it. :p

Aww thanks heaps :thumbsup:

I just hate letting folk down I really do. Even if i know this is right for me - and i know deep down they dont give two hoots so why should i ? lol COS IM TOO NICE

One of the things that has kept me going in my job is 1 girl -well woman i work with we get on so well and she will be devastated when i tell her. Im just as nervous about that lol:(

Wish i could fast forward a few weeks!!

thanks again xx

onceinabluemoon
19-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Re money: Childminding does give you the potential to earn more money up to a point. Last year I earned what I thought was a avery good wage (far better than I ever earned before). I've just done my tax return and have discovered that, after expenses, I was working for less than £2 an hour (and then is when totally full to Ofsted numbers! earning just 33p per child at times)

I know £2 an hour is ok for just 'sitting at home' but the reality is I work my butt off. Children are not always well behaved, and parents can be worse. Of course there are the really fab times, the reasons why we all do this job, the rewards, the smiles etc etc but its not all rosy and the pay is in fact poop. You also have to work all hours or have a lot of children in to make good money (and then not spend it back on them with heaps of resources etc).

RE security: A couple of years ago my main under five earner gave notice to go to a posh private nursery school, a week later another mum of a full timer told me she was going to walk out of her job because she hated it, and I wouldn't have her child anymore. This would have left me with one child for 6 hours a week, not even enough to claim tax credits. I am the only adult, I would have lost my home and my kids. Luckily karma intervened, another child came a few odd hours and the mum who was going to leave her job played the "i'm going to quit" mind game for another year before I finally terminated her contract for various reasons.

Think carefully, you are in a position to have the best of both worlds at the moment. If you are having to ask on here or make pros and cons lists you are not ready to go full time in my humble opinion. Why not wait another month or two (I'm presuming you don't have extra children lined up?) and see how you feel then? You may find you are ready to jump in feet first, or find that promotion at work gives you a bit more of a buzz.

Demonjill
19-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Re money: Childminding does give you the potential to earn more money up to a point. Last year I earned what I thought was a avery good wage (far better than I ever earned before). I've just done my tax return and have discovered that, after expenses, I was working for less than £2 an hour (and then is when totally full to Ofsted numbers! earning just 33p per child at times)

I know £2 an hour is ok for just 'sitting at home' but the reality is I work my butt off. Children are not always well behaved, and parents can be worse. Of course there are the really fab times, the reasons why we all do this job, the rewards, the smiles etc etc but its not all rosy and the pay is in fact poop. You also have to work all hours or have a lot of children in to make good money (and then not spend it back on them with heaps of resources etc).

RE security: A couple of years ago my main under five earner gave notice to go to a posh private nursery school, a week later another mum of a full timer told me she was going to walk out of her job because she hated it, and I wouldn't have her child anymore. This would have left me with one child for 6 hours a week, not even enough to claim tax credits. I am the only adult, I would have lost my home and my kids. Luckily karma intervened, another child came a few odd hours and the mum who was going to leave her job played the "i'm going to quit" mind game for another year before I finally terminated her contract for various reasons.

Think carefully, you are in a position to have the best of both worlds at the moment. If you are having to ask on here or make pros and cons lists you are not ready to go full time in my humble opinion. Why not wait another month or two (I'm presuming you don't have extra children lined up?) and see how you feel then? You may find you are ready to jump in feet first, or find that promotion at work gives you a bit more of a buzz.

Its not really "the best of both worlds" though really it would just be bumbling along and ive done that enough in life

Im not happy in my job - i wouldnt be exploring other options if i was

Im not asking on here what anyone thinks i should do - im just asking how everyone else gets on and their experiences to share - same as if you were thinking of buying a book(just an example) you might ask on here who had read it and what they thought!! thats all
The pros and cons list is what i would do with ANY big decision in life - if it was just me i would have went for it ages ago but i have husband and family to consider and big mortgage etc

I wont know if full time CM is "for me" unless i give it a go really though will I?

I have twins already on the Thursday, 2 boys signing up tomorrow, another parent visiting at the weekend and 2/3 others contacted me and interested.
2 CM are giving up in my area next month so good time to do it

The promotion will give me a joke amount of a pay rise, it will still be the same things i dont like about the job with more stress lol

As for money - yes expenses need to be taken off for CM but you have to take them off in my regulat job too eg i might get over £6 an hour but i have a car to get to work, it needs petrol,tax,mot,insurance etc i need food to eat, extra toiletries to make sure i smell look nice in retail, new shoes all time as loads of walking to do - either that or car park charges, the list goes on- anyway by the time i take all that off im not getting over £6 an hour am i???

onceinabluemoon
20-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Its not really "the best of both worlds" though really it would just be bumbling along and ive done that enough in life

Im not happy in my job - i wouldnt be exploring other options if i was

Im not asking on here what anyone thinks i should do - im just asking how everyone else gets on and their experiences to share - same as if you were thinking of buying a book(just an example) you might ask on here who had read it and what they thought!! thats all
The pros and cons list is what i would do with ANY big decision in life - if it was just me i would have went for it ages ago but i have husband and family to consider and big mortgage etc

I wont know if full time CM is "for me" unless i give it a go really though will I?

I have twins already on the Thursday, 2 boys signing up tomorrow, another parent visiting at the weekend and 2/3 others contacted me and interested.
2 CM are giving up in my area next month so good time to do it

The promotion will give me a joke amount of a pay rise, it will still be the same things i dont like about the job with more stress lol

As for money - yes expenses need to be taken off for CM but you have to take them off in my regulat job too eg i might get over £6 an hour but i have a car to get to work, it needs petrol,tax,mot,insurance etc i need food to eat, extra toiletries to make sure i smell look nice in retail, new shoes all time as loads of walking to do - either that or car park charges, the list goes on- anyway by the time i take all that off im not getting over £6 an hour am i???

Oh sorry, thought I was answering your questions. My mistake, apologies.

Demonjill
20-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Oh sorry, thought I was answering your questions. My mistake, apologies.

Oh OIABM apologies from me too as i never meant it to sound as blunt as it did :(

I know you were trying to help and i appreciate it its just so hard to explain things on here at times :rolleyes:

ChocolateChip
20-01-2012, 08:47 PM
I used to be in food retail, as a manager before kids, then going back as p/t assistant/ supervisor after both my first two, then I moved also p/t to Tesco.
I would not like to go back to it, I think I used to earn about £80 a week for 16 hours but as Baildon Bears said, most of the time I would spend my wages after my shift, and the hours were awful, all evenings and Saturdays.
The money is unpredictable, and sometimes the hours are long for not an awful lot of reward after expenses but I have my weekends free, am there for my kids and like being my own boss.

If I am completely honest the paperwork side does my head in, simply because there's never a 'set' way of doing things and everybody's advice is to do what works for you but this forum is fabulous at helping people out.
I've also had 'bad children', 'bad parent' and plain old 'bad me' days, as I'm sure everyone else had at times, days where I've thought 'if we had an after school club I would be looking for a job' and it does take over my home but on the whole I am proud of the job I do and the fact that I am running my own small business fairly successfully.

My best piece of advice would be get organised with your paperwork and stay on top of it, it's all too easy to get behind and bogged down.

Life's always a gamble, hun, good luck with it all!

Demonjill
20-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I used to be in food retail, as a manager before kids, then going back as p/t assistant/ supervisor after both my first two, then I moved also p/t to Tesco.
I would not like to go back to it, I think I used to earn about £80 a week for 16 hours but as Baildon Bears said, most of the time I would spend my wages after my shift, and the hours were awful, all evenings and Saturdays.
The money is unpredictable, and sometimes the hours are long for not an awful lot of reward after expenses but I have my weekends free, am there for my kids and like being my own boss.

If I am completely honest the paperwork side does my head in, simply because there's never a 'set' way of doing things and everybody's advice is to do what works for you but this forum is fabulous at helping people out.
I've also had 'bad children', 'bad parent' and plain old 'bad me' days, as I'm sure everyone else had at times, days where I've thought 'if we had an after school club I would be looking for a job' and it does take over my home but on the whole I am proud of the job I do and the fact that I am running my own small business fairly successfully.

My best piece of advice would be get organised with your paperwork and stay on top of it, it's all too easy to get behind and bogged down.

Life's always a gamble, hun, good luck with it all!

Aww thanks very much alot of that makes sense. :thumbsup:

as always good and bad points about both jobs

Bluebell
21-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Jill - you sound just like me!! I am getting desperate to give up my job because I have finally found something that i love and as you put it I also seem to have been bumbling along for a long time with no clear direction. Not only do I love childminding but the kids who come here seem to really love it too and we have such a great time. I feel like I have finally found my niche in life. The 2 days I childmind I am full and have had a lot of enquiries that I have had to turn down due to my work commitments. I have a date in mind that I would like to give up work but also like you I have a husband, 2 kids and a mortgage to consider. With Easter and then summer I will have to consider how I will cover childcare/pay for childcare for my own 2 on the days I work so that is a major consideration.
I really wish you good luck because it sounds like in your heart you know what you need to do but your head is holding you back. (like me!!) Maybe do a massive advertising campaign promoting you have extra spaces from a set date say in 2 months time - start with the parent of the twins in case she wants extra days and then spread the word - it gives you time to fill those spaces before you hand in your notice. I'm doing it the other way as my boss knows everything in the small town we live in and I would be really upset if he found out I was leaving by word of mouth rather than a formal notice. he'd be really upset too. I have 1 booking for when I want to give up and have to give 4 weeks notice so I will be advertising like mad in those 4 weeks. also I have school holiday bookings that will cover the first 2 weeks and make up my money a bit.

Demonjill
21-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Jill - you sound just like me!! I am getting desperate to give up my job because I have finally found something that i love and as you put it I also seem to have been bumbling along for a long time with no clear direction. Not only do I love childminding but the kids who come here seem to really love it too and we have such a great time. I feel like I have finally found my niche in life. The 2 days I childmind I am full and have had a lot of enquiries that I have had to turn down due to my work commitments. I have a date in mind that I would like to give up work but also like you I have a husband, 2 kids and a mortgage to consider. With Easter and then summer I will have to consider how I will cover childcare/pay for childcare for my own 2 on the days I work so that is a major consideration.
I really wish you good luck because it sounds like in your heart you know what you need to do but your head is holding you back. (like me!!) Maybe do a massive advertising campaign promoting you have extra spaces from a set date say in 2 months time - start with the parent of the twins in case she wants extra days and then spread the word - it gives you time to fill those spaces before you hand in your notice. I'm doing it the other way as my boss knows everything in the small town we live in and I would be really upset if he found out I was leaving by word of mouth rather than a formal notice. he'd be really upset too. I have 1 booking for when I want to give up and have to give 4 weeks notice so I will be advertising like mad in those 4 weeks. also I have school holiday bookings that will cover the first 2 weeks and make up my money a bit.

Aww Jules i can def recomend to go with your heart esp as it sounds like you love the CM that you do already - it is difficult but life is short enough.

I handed my notice in yesterday Its like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.:thumbsup:

Im still not sure how things will be money wise but parent has signed her 2 boys up starting in 2 weeks so that will already work out £55 a week better off before expenses already. Other parent with LO round last night sounds keen.

I know my twins mum would love another day but the other day she only wants 3 hours and thats not enough cos that would be 2 spaces taken and they go to a school i cant pick up from after summer so will lose tham anyway.:(

I got mixed reactions on here withwhat to do really but in the end it was my decision and i HOPE ive made the right one - im very excited and scared at the same time but work were fab and they are planning a nite out for me leaving :thumbsup:

I would say you already know what you want to do :) so here is a BIG push in that direction lol:laughing::thumbsup:

miffy
21-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Wishing you all the very best of luck Jill, I hope everything works out for you

Miffy xx

nic t
21-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I make more childminding 4 days a week than when I used to work fulltime prior to having my kids.

I couldn't make the kind of money I do at the moment if I went and got a different job. On a full, good day in the holidays I can earn £300 a day and term time £200 before expenses.

HOWEVER, that is at the moment! Things can change so quickly in this business, you are reliant on other peoples jobs and circumstances. One Christmas I lost 4 mindees in one hit. Then financially I'm up the creek!

Demonjill
21-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Wishing you all the very best of luck Jill, I hope everything works out for you

Miffy xx

Aww thanks so much Miffy:thumbsup:

Im sure it will :)

Demonjill
21-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I make more childminding 4 days a week than when I used to work fulltime prior to having my kids.

I couldn't make the kind of money I do at the moment if I went and got a different job. On a full, good day in the holidays I can earn £300 a day and term time £200 before expenses.

HOWEVER, that is at the moment! Things can change so quickly in this business, you are reliant on other peoples jobs and circumstances. One Christmas I lost 4 mindees in one hit. Then financially I'm up the creek!

ThanksNic - my plan is to put a bit away when things are good to help me cope when things are bad.

I can also help people with their horses too for a bit of extra money too if lose any income from CM:thumbsup:

nic t
21-01-2012, 09:50 PM
ThanksNic - my plan is to put a bit away when things are good to help me cope when things are bad.

I can also help people with their horses too for a bit of extra money too if lose any income from CM:thumbsup:

That's a very good idea!

When I first started off my money was really just for extras and to help out abit but now with my hubbie starting his own business my money is keeping us a float (just about!) and it is a worry that I might lose some of my mindees and then we are stuffed.

I am sure that you won't look back! :)

Stapleton83
21-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Good luck Jill, if handing in your notice was a weight off your mind it says to me you did the right thing. Plus reading back through the thread you'd already signed extra children up so you'd already made your mind up!

Well done you it takes a brave person to be self employed and I wish you all the very best. Go get them!:clapping:

Demonjill
21-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Good luck Jill, if handing in your notice was a weight off your mind it says to me you did the right thing. Plus reading back through the thread you'd already signed extra children up so you'd already made your mind up!

Well done you it takes a brave person to be self employed and I wish you all the very best. Go get them!:clapping:

aww thanks:thumbsup:

I suppose yeah i had made my mind up but wanted to make sure the parent signed before handing in notice. So basically parent signed at 10am and i handed in notice at 11am lol:thumbsup:

Stapleton83
21-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Excellent nothing like striking while the iron is hot!

Bluebell
22-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Congratulations Jill - I'm sooo excited for you and I'm hoping I'm not going to be far behind you!! Best wishes x