PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate behaviour in a 4 year old - how can I help?

juslh
17-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I mind a 4 year old boy before and after school. He can be on the quiet side, although has on occasions had a good old yell and run around with my other mindees. Generally he is clearly easily embarrassed or thrown. If I tell him off or challenge him he looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. However, he can also be quite odd at times ...if we are out and bump into people he knows he will start falling over/bumping into walls/going right up into their faces etc. I went to see him in his school nativity and he clapped eyes on me and spent the rest of the performance sticking his tongue out - not kind of cheekily...just a bit odd. When I collect him from teacher he sits on the floor and starts blowing raspberries at me. None of which is awful I know, I just feel that he doesnt quite know what to do in various social situations and so behaves a bit oddly. Any advice to help him feel happier in his skin would be great.

sarah707
17-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I have used social stories type booklets with a few of my children to help them learn how to behave in social situations.

It's a home made book made with and for the child and featuring the child as the main character.

The message of the book - personal space, nose picking or whatever - is got over by constant gentle repetition.

The focus is on appropriate ways of doing things and getting praise.

Google 'social stories' and see what you think :D

juslh
18-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Ah thanks Sarah, that looks interesting. I will go and have a good look at those, could well be whats needed :)