PDA

View Full Version : can a relative be a child minder

jfm
17-01-2012, 03:34 PM
appoligies if i have duplicated this,as i cant find the first one
hi
my daughter is at uni doing a nurses course she has 2 kids so i was looking at doing a registered childminding course has any one had any problems doing the same looking at the rules when getting a bursary they will allow a relative as long as they are open to mind other children,i was just wondering if i was childminding for my 2 grandchildren but i could not find any other children to mind would they still allow it
thanks
jfm

rosebud
17-01-2012, 04:22 PM
As long as you are registered with Ofsted and are able to childmind other children I would think its fine. I used to childmind my niece and nephew and there are plenty of minders who look after their grandchildren. I can't see why the uni wouldn't pay childcare costs as long as you're registered but if you're not sure get your daughter to ask them.

pinklady756
17-01-2012, 05:42 PM
I look after 3 nieces and a nephew, both my sisters claim Childcare Tax Credits. They require the childcare to be registered with Ofsted (I imagine it would be similar with the Uni). Childcare Tax Credits were fine with me being a relative as I was Registered and it's my job!

I believe Ofsted won't allow you to stay registered forever if you are only looking after relatives, so you would ideally need to look after at least 1 other child. I was minding 1 niece for 4 months while waiting to fill my other spaces. I think if your are actively trying to fill spaces (adverts etc) that's what counts, it can take time but you will get there eventually.

Good luck!

jfm
17-01-2012, 05:50 PM
thanks for replie

waterwaybabies
17-01-2012, 06:31 PM
i am registered and working with a co minder. we have 6 under 4,s on our books and one of them is my grandson [who is with us because he hated nursery].
its legal as long as you are prepared to care for unrelated kids too [but i think? they give you three years grace] hope someone else is clearer on it.x