PDA

View Full Version : head lice advice please

sandy64
16-01-2012, 07:18 PM
i look after a lo who has for a few wks scratched head lots 2 headlice letters later to all parents in case. whilst i was putting bobble in hair today i saw louse and lots of eggs so when mum came i said shed been scrathing wasnt going to say i saw anythink yet, mum said i no shes had them for ages i cant get rid of them she must be getting them from ur house or toddlers:panic: i said my 2 were checked and dont have them and all lo ave been checked, anyway mum said i pick them out when i see them:panic:i have told her they lay eggs every night so unless she treats and get rid of all she will never get rid but mum is adamant she gets rid i no she doesnt as lo scratches all day i no i cant check her but childs suffering and i have to try and keep her arms lenght from other lo. can i exclude?? any advice please sorry if ive made you scratch lol:laughing:

BuggsieMoo
16-01-2012, 07:20 PM
As far as I am aware you cannot exclude for headlice - maybe suggest to mum that she combs through LO's hair with conditioner and a nit comb and keeps doing that.

Yuck - just making my head thinking about it x

babs
16-01-2012, 07:48 PM
lo I have came home with them last year when she started preschool, its written in my policy that I will do comb conditioner if I spot any I also check if they bring letter home from school. mums are ok with this its written that they seek treatment asap don't rely on me getting them all. I brush lo's hair in morning and put it up as she screams for mum. none of my parents mind me doing this but I couldn't sit and see lice and not deal with it.

Helen79
16-01-2012, 07:48 PM
If any of mindees have headlice I comb them with a nittygritty when they're here aswell as parents treating at home.
If parents aren't going to treat it and aren't checking her hair regularly then at least you'll be getting rid of a few when she's with you. I know it's not our job and should be a parents job to do it but if they're not doing it then I'd prefer to know that i'm doing something so that lo isn't suffering as much.

miffy
16-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Yes, you've made me itch Sandy :laughing:

If I found a child with headline then I'd expect parents to treat it before the child came back to me but it's difficult if parents won't or tell you they have when they haven't. Perhaps you could ask if she wants you to treat the child?

Miffy xx

babs
16-01-2012, 08:01 PM
once gone teatree oil beside ears before school. I've also got nitty gritty repellent spray. permission forms signed ... :)

AliceK
16-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I will tell a parent if I have seen leadlice on their child and I will exclude if it's not treated. I also tell all other parents that a child at the setting has them and ask all parents to check and treat if neccs their own children. I wouldn't be accepting a child who's parent wasn't treating properly and I certainly wouldn't be treating that child myself. They make me itch just thinking about it.
Agree with tea tree though I always use TT shampoo on my childrens hair as a deterrent, so far so good :thumbsup:

xxx

flowerpots
16-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Ive got it in my policies and procedures that if a child has head lice thay cant return to my setting until its been treated. Ive also got signed permission to use treatment on my mindee who always gets them, whnever i spot shes got them i treat her and mom re-imburses any money spent, i know its not my job to de-nit her but id rather just do it than we all get them. :)

nikki thomson
16-01-2012, 10:14 PM
I have to say if one of my lo's had headlice and parents didn't treat them I'd refuse to have them, I'm not being funny but you go home, wash there hair and then they sit for quite a while as you go through there hair time and time again until there ALL GONE, and do this every night for a few days to make sure.
I do not want headlice or my children to get it and I can't be doing with parents who can't be bothered, they need to get a grip.
Headlice..... Hate them. X

sandy64
17-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Thankyou for your replys wasnt sure we were allowed to nit comb and check childs hair any more?? but going to print leaflets out for mum or write a letter giveing her ideas as i didnt get through to her theres only so many head lice letters i can give out to her:)

Helen79
17-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Thankyou for your replys wasnt sure we were allowed to nit comb and check childs hair any more??

I don't really care if we're allowed to or not, if a child is suffering then I'll comb their hair. If parents complain then tough, they should have treated their child themselves. I don't have permission for it but do have permission for personal care which I would think combing hair would come under.
You could suggest to mum to use tea tree oil spray instead of the treatments as the ones in the chemist are so expensive. I found tea tree oil spray and regular combing gets rid of them just as effectively.

LChurch
17-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Thankfully none of my mindees have had them recently despite me battling with my kids, everytime I get rid of them they are back again (I think child not being treated at school). I am going to have to talk to the teacher today as it is a nightmare with my lo as she has a battle every time we wash her hair. (phobia to washing hair):angry:

Velleity
17-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Oh I think it's horrible that we still have to take children who have head-lice. I'm dreading it. I cannot bear that thought of having to treat us all again like last time - it was horrendous. It cost a small fortune in treatments for myself as my hair is so thick. I feel for you. I'd be mad if the parents were not bothering to sort it out.

Pipsqueak
17-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Oh I think it's horrible that we still have to take children who have head-lice. I'm dreading it..

But you DON'T have to take children with headlice - its your business your setting and its YOUR policy - meaning its up to you

missymood
21-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Got lo picked up today as saw loads and I mean loads of eggs in her hair and she was scratching like mad. Told mum to come get her and buy hedrin and nitty comb and once treated she can come back. Can't be doing with itchy nits:eek:

miffy
21-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Got lo picked up today as saw loads and I mean loads of eggs in her hair and she was scratching like mad. Told mum to come get her and buy hedrin and nitty comb and once treated she can come back. Can't be doing with itchy nits:eek:

They're going round our school too. Just the mention of them makes me start itching! :laughing:

Miffy xx