PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting to hear back from first mindee!

biscuits
16-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Hi ladies,
Was hoping you'd be able to help, i think i know the answer and that is to sit and wait patiently but am getting more and more annoyed with my first mindees mum.

I started looking after a little girl, just on Fri, mum seems lovely at first. I gave her all the forms, contracts, policies etc way in advance but she just held onto them and in the end said she wasn't able to get them back to me in time for her first day so she gave me them at the end of the first friday. Ok that wasn't really a problem. She also knew my rates well in advance and the night before she was supposed to be coming i hadn't heard from her and called her and she tried to knock me down, just £1 off my hourly rate. I stuck to my guns as feel that what i was offering was worth my hourly rate, she asked me to think about it and put me on a 2 week trial, signed my contract based on 2 week trial. Well, the first 2 fridays (2 week trial) are up and on the thurs night (before the last fri)i asked her if she could get back to me by sunday eve at the latest about the 2 week trial, if she had any concerns or any feedback. She said of course, she'll definately get back to me over the weekend and will give me a bell.

So, I've not heard from her, I'm loathed to call her as I've chased her for everything and really feel that she should get back to me.

Shall I just sit it out and wait? I do want the girl so don't want to push but at the same time feel like she isn't treating me with the respect or being as professional as I am.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

uf353432
16-01-2012, 05:35 PM
It might be little white lie time. Phone her - tell her you've had an enquiry for immediate start for the hours she is using. Out of courtesy you are phoning to confirm her position so that you can let this parent know if you have a space or not. Force her hand. If she gives notice - then to be honest I think you might be best off out of it - I live by the motto 'start as you mean to go on' and i'm afraid that cuts both ways. If this parent isn't playing ball at this early stage then it unlikely to get better in my experience.

Goatgirl
16-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Hmmm, I agree.
If she's trying to argue the toss now, what will she be like after time? I wouldn't have agreed to a 2 week trial on her terms either tbh. I think she is getting the idea that she calls the shots here. It can be turned around: I had a family who behaved as though they thought they employed me but I firmly put my foot down each time they pushed the boundary and eventually they did realise its my way or the highway and they chose to stay! Now they ask, rather than tell... usually :rolleyes:

I would ring now and say you need a decision this evening because you have interest in the space for whenever she is obliged to pay you up until, according to your paperwork. Don't text, its too easy to ignore. I'd call and give her an hour or so to think over the decision (very generously as she's had the entire weekend!)

good luck, really hope it goes the way you want it to :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

ladders
16-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I too am at the early stages of Childminding, well in fact, not yet registered and I know that I am so anxious to get started that I would probably make exceptions for the first few clients, but I think you do need to demand an answer. It is really rude of her not to have been in touch. You need to be giving her the impression that you have enquiries pending that you have turned down due to her trial and that you need an answer. Good luck x

biscuits
16-01-2012, 06:28 PM
thanks ladies, i wasn't sure whether to be just patient and let her decide in her own time however there was a part of me that was annoyed that from the beginning she has been calling the shots, getting back to me whenever she wants and then expecting me to turn things round really quickly for her. i'm more than happy to be helpful and accomodating however she really does have the upper hand and it doesn't really seem like a two way relationship already!

i'll give her until 7.30, i know the little girl goes to bed at 6.30 so it gives her an hour to call me then give her a bell. i like the idea of a little white lie, did think about that so we'll see, i'm really hoping she proves me wrong and calls very soon.

thanks again.

Bob
16-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Did you call her and what did she say?

miffy
16-01-2012, 08:35 PM
This parent sounds like trouble to me - she wants to call the shots, what a cheek trying to knock a £1 off your hourly rate and then putting you on a two week trial! Who does she think she is?

I hope you have been paid for the work you've done so far and that you manage to sort this out.

Miffy xx

biscuits
16-01-2012, 10:46 PM
ladies i'm embarassed to say i did not call her, i thought i'd give her the benefit of the doubt and give her a bit longer. she did not call me either. so am very annoyed. i am going to call her first thing in the morning, you're right, i think she is cheeky and yes trying to knock me down on my money the night before i was supposed to start, i'm glad i stuck to my guns. i'll let you know what happens!