PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox question

beachgirl
16-01-2012, 10:16 AM
I've got a mindee who has chicken pox phoned me sunday and spoke to other parents there was just one who hasn't had the pox and was worried about mixing with the one who has chicken pox so I said for mindee with the pox to stay off for 3 days to avoid contact with the child who hasn't had it.

Am I right for doing that? As I dont think there happy with me and now after the mindee with pox returns want me to have her for 9 days to make up for it and overnight arranged a while ago...which possible be a mistake with her being ill as I feel maybe she should be home?

all the other kids have had it and parents seemed fine if they mixed except this one who is in Mon, Tue,wed.

Advice please! very confused what to do

babs
16-01-2012, 10:41 AM
5days off or until last spot scaled over . one of mine went down with it day before was due back after Christmas n new year but I ha ve two mums expecting and one who's aunt picks up having treatment so had to stay away.. also depends on other children if it wasn't for 3 things mentioned I would of had lo as he only had it really mild unlike sister who was covered this.time last year..

catminder
16-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't accept a child with chicken pox back until the lesions are dried up. Apparently they are no longer infectious then.

sarahjane
16-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't accept children until the spots have scabbed either, although you have to remember that the child will have been infectious for up to 14 days before the spots come, so mindee's whos mum wants to avoid will already have been in contact.

onceinabluemoon
16-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Chickenpox is an excludable illness. Don't feel guilty, the child should be at home with their parents. Chicken pox can be very serious if caught by an adult so it's not just the children you are protecting.

nikki thomson
16-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Chickenpox is an excludable illness. Don't feel guilty, the child should be at home with their parents. Chicken pox can be very serious if caught by an adult so it's not just the children you are protecting.

I know it's a pain for parents especially when they seem ok in themselfs but it's not just the children in your care who can be effected, you would have to stay in and not mix with other people, my husband got chicken pox from our children about three years ago and he was seriously ill with it, had to have three weeks of work, anti viral drugs and go to the gp every morning before surgery started for a week so they could check him over, you do have to think of the bigger picture sometimes. X

snufflepuff
16-01-2012, 11:52 AM
The child should be off for 5 days or until all the spots are scabbed over, whichever is longest.
And you certainly shouldn't have to 'make up for it' by working extra days. I know it's difficult when parents have to take time off work to care for their poorly child, but that's all just part of having children I'm afraid!