PDA

View Full Version : How do you advertise?

lucyD
16-01-2012, 09:42 AM
My certificate came on Friday. Have no mindees lined up so now wondering how to "sell myself" Have had some postcards made up on vistaprint so thinking of putting one up in local post office! What else?
How did you go about it? & where did you get your first mindee from?:panic:

picklepick
16-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi Lucy

Have you considered making a website?

I've made one and it was free to do. Just used weebly and bought a domain name from 123-reg.

Then you can post a link to your website on places like netmums, mumsnet, gumtree, here, etc. (Check the rules for each site first)

kats
16-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Childcare.co.uk is where i have got all my mindees from!! :)

loocyloo
16-01-2012, 01:33 PM
i have a fleece with 'childminder' on the back and wear it everywhere! ( and i've just got a personalised umbrella :D )

i went along to toddler groups, preschools, childrens classes and asked if i could put a flier up, leave a few cards. i have a couple of adverts in my car window, and when i lived on a busy road that everyone walked past, i put an advert in my window!

also local ( and not so local! ) coffee shops, soft plays, and childrens shops!

i told everyone i met i was a childminder! i always carry some cards in my pocket and pass them to anyone slightly interested! i also gave them to friends and some people have passed them on!

i also volunteer at school! ( and have advert up )

plus i advertised myself anywhere and everywhere on the internet!

FIS have my details, as do the local childrens centre. they can't actively recommend just me as such, but because i offer some extra services ( funded sessions ), i do get recommended for those!

good luck xxx

miffy
16-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Get yourself known locally - ask if schools, playgroups, health centres will give out your details to parents - tell everyone you meet you are a childminder, you just never know who is looking for childcare.

Consider a leaflet drop on any large housing estates near you or if you have any large employers like hospitals near you see if you can post your details on their notice boards.

Good luck

Miffy xx

kellib
16-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Childcare.co.uk is where i have got all my mindees from!! :)

Me too although I have had lots of parents contacting me from Netmums as well

lucyD
17-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all those useful ideas! Just wondering where most mums go to when they look for childcare! Will try all of the above! Fingers crossed.:panic:
How long has it taken some of you to find your first mindees?

kellib
18-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all those useful ideas! Just wondering where most mums go to when they look for childcare! Will try all of the above! Fingers crossed.:panic:

It took me exactly a month from date of registration to starting work with my first mindee :)

Becci26
18-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Hi, firstly :thumbsup: on getting registered!

This is what I have done for advertising hope it helps:

childcare.co.uk
postcards in shop windows
postcards in toddler groups
website
family information service
word of mouth
t-shirt with printed logo
kids hi-vis (used them for the first time this week and certainly got us noticed (mainly for incase of lost child but good advert all the same!))
other free to advertise websites - yell.com etc
placed an ad in the school christmas fair programme
leaflet drop to all houses in local area (off vistaprint, haven't actually done this yet but will be pounding the streets any time soon, have made a start but still many more letterboxes to go!)

Hmm I think that's it at the moment lol! Good luck!

picklepick
18-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Becci, are your hi-vis vests personalised?
Where did you get them from?

Thanks!

loocyloo
18-01-2012, 08:23 PM

when i first started minding it took me a couple of months to get my first mindee.

when i moved 260 miles away and had to start all over again, it took me almost 4 months. my first mindee was a neighbours child, neighbour befriended me and dragged me to toddlers and to meet people and when she then decided she needed childcare, she rang me at 8 in the morning, child started with me at 9.30am !!!! been coming for a day a week every since :D i then had a child for respite care through social services for 6 weeks, but this was a mum i'd met at toddlers. it was a good 6 months from moving before i had a rush of enquiries and was pretty full, and its only now, 9 months after moving that i am as full with under 5's as i can be! i'd still like an after schoolie or 2!

good luck x