PDA

View Full Version : Drawer locks

candlequeen
15-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Has anyone discovered some drawer locks that stay put and can be fairly easily opened by adults that are suitable for kitchen drawers that don't have anything above them but other drawers? I have not found anything suitable and I have all crawling age babies and toddlers at the moment who will shut their fingers in these drawers all the time.

muffins
15-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I have some magnetic locks that I've attached to the side of draws, my draw sides don't come to the top of the draw fronts if that makes sense & I've put them there! Can't remember what make they where though, emmy something like that!

muffins
15-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Found them http://www.safetots.co.uk/Safety-Essentials/Babyproof-Locks-and-Latches/Internal-Cupboard-Locks/c1_893_15/p389/-Emmay-magnetic-lock-4-locks-1-key/product_info.html?osCsid=rira9mnbmq8641qur93hrmf13 0

miffy
15-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Boots used to do magnetic locks too

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
16-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Has anyone discovered some drawer locks that stay put and can be fairly easily opened by adults that are suitable for kitchen drawers that don't have anything above them but other drawers? I have not found anything suitable and I have all crawling age babies and toddlers at the moment who will shut their fingers in these drawers all the time.

I have drawers in my kitchen. 900mm wide and 3 deep and I have 12 of them all down one side of the kitchen. I have no locks on any of them and in the 16 months of the new kitchen not had a problem. As a family it would drive us nuts to have locks and I vowed when I had my new kitchen i wouldn't. I don't have any locks on the under counter cupboards either but I am lucky and have a seperate utility room where I keep all the cleaning stuff, if I didn't I would have to have a lock on the under sink cupboard. I have a self adhesive alarm on the door to that room.

The children are never un supervised when in the kitchen and they would learn not to open them not that any of them have tried to be honest.

During this time I have had 3 under 2s all the time and some under ones but all crawlers and toddlers and never a problem.

Ofsted didn't comment when I was inspected in Sept and complimented me on my RAs and all aspects of keeping safe by giving me outstanding in that area.

Think do you really NEED to lock everything down? It is your home and has to work for you and your family first and foremost as well as being safe.

mummyMia
16-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I have a lock on my knife drawer and that is it. One of my babies actually got her fingers stuck in a kitchen drawer this morning. She was playing on the floor white I was making a sandwich and managed to pull one open and close it again. There were a few tears but no marks on her finger, so I don't think it was that serious. Live and learn, I say. Hopefully she will know not to do it next time. I'm certainly not putting locks on.

Helen79
16-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Live and learn, I say. Hopefully she will know not to do it next time. I'm certainly not putting locks on.

It sounds a bit harsh but they do sometimes need to learn from experience. The only drawer that I've got a lock on is the dvd drawer in the living room but only because when dd was little she used to empty the dvds out every time I turned my back and I've never got round to taking it off.

I did have a lock on my knife drawer but took it off cos it was annoying me everytime I opened the drawer. Children are always supervised in the kitchen and the knife drawer would be too high up for them to reach in anyway.

mummyMia
16-01-2012, 04:24 PM
It sounds a bit harsh but they do sometimes need to learn from experience.

I suppose it is a bit harsh.:blush: Maybe I didn't word it in the best way but I do think that children should be allowed to take some small risks. My drawers are all soft close so they don't really slam shut. :)

Helen79
16-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I suppose it is a bit harsh. Maybe I didn't word it in the best way but I do think that children should be allowed to take some small risks. My drawers are all soft close so they don't really slam shut.

Sorry I wasn't meaning that you were being harsh :blush: I was agreeing with you that if children don't take some risks then they don't learn but others might think it harsh me saying that children might hurt themselves to learn not to do something iyswim. I don't mean that we should all be jamming baby's fingers in doors :blush: but for example ds keeps having a tantrum when I'm getting him dressed. I keep telling him not to lean back and scream as it hurts my arms and he'll hurt himself, one day he really chucked himself about and he smacked his head on the door, he's now learnt not to have a tantrum as he's now learnt that he'll hurt himself.

claire710
16-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I've got babydan magnetic locks, simple to install. think i picked them up pretty cheap on amazon. I got a couple of spare 'keys' though, just incase!

Graham
16-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Here's a link to Amazon.

BABY DAN MAGNETIC LOCKS (http://www.amazon.co.uk/mn/search/?_encoding=UTF8&x=0&tag=childminding-21&linkCode=ur2&y=0&camp=1634&creative=19450&field-keywords=baby%20dan%20magnetic%20locks&url=search-alias%3Daps)

This link is affiliated so anything bought after clicking it and the forum will benefit from a small commission.

candlequeen
21-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. We do have the magnetic locks, which are perfect as I disable them for the evening, but they don't attach properly onto these drawers apart from the top one as there is nowhere to attach the inside bit to. The drawers do glide in quickly, so I think could give a nasty injury to the end of a tiny finger, but I think I'll have to attach some of the outside latch things to them instead.

onceinabluemoon
22-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Do you have to allow children in the kitchen unattended? I just have a gate across the opening and my mindees are not allowed in unless I am in there to supervise.

QualityCare
22-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I have no locks on any of my kitchen cupboards or drawers and never have in 20yrs of minding, sharp knives are on a shelf in a cupboard and cleaning products in a top cupboard children wouldn't be able to reach them, they use the cutlery drawer to get spoons for themselves and never go in any other cupboard, they have to go through the kitchen to get to the garden and they take their plates to the kitchen after a meal.
Mrs O asked if the children had unsupervised access to the kitchen l told her they did occasionally to get in/out of garden and at meal times,l told her that if l have a crawling baby a safety gate is put across otherwise it is left open, there are no chairs for the children to climb on, she said that was absolutely fine. kitchen is obviously risk assessed.

candlequeen
22-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I suppose it's all about what space works for your house and where your activities are focussed. Our kitchen is a kitchen/dining room and is a bright spacious room looking out onto the communal gardens where there is lots of wildlife, and it's also a nice area for children to wander in and out of as an extension of the living room area. Also I enjoy cooking, and it's nice to be able to do this whilst supervising/interacting with the children at the same time. Personally I see the kitchen and dining room as the heart of the home, and I wouldn't enjoy my day as much if the kids didn't have access to it! I've got it all safe, just these drawers get on my nerves, particularly as they are under the cooker, and kids try to get under my feet to open them.