PDA

View Full Version : when do you take your holidays?

toddlers896
15-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi

Is there a best time for childminders to take holidays? I dont have children of my own so i am not familiar with the school holidays etc and when parents prefer to go on their holidays. My husband and I were just discussing when we will have our holidays this year and hopefullly if my registration comes through soon then I can plan ahead. I know I can have them when I like but it doesnt matter to us and I would prefer to work with whats best for parents. Normally we go when all the kids are back at school as we generally find the package holidays cheaper and quieter but like I said we dont mind. Whats your views on this?

Thanks
Tracy

Velleity
15-01-2012, 06:12 PM
I suppose to ask the parents, when you are minding, if they have any particular preferences would be easiest :)

Playmate
15-01-2012, 06:12 PM
We take all ours in school holiday because we have school age children and mind for 2 teachers, but you take what suits you :D

Playmate
15-01-2012, 06:23 PM
I suppose to ask the parents, when you are minding, if they have any particular preferences would be easiest :)

The only problem with that is, it is your business and you don't want parents to start dicatating when it is and isn't convenient for you to have a holidays.

Beetlejuice
15-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Mine vary each year depending on whether we have enough money to visit my inlaws in the US - the best time to visit them is December - March. Last year I took a week at Easter, 2 weeks in August and I had Christmas off too. This year I'm doing two weeks in February, a week in August and Christmas off. I never work Christmas as DH's office shuts and we have family time but the rest of the year I take when I want. It's slightly tricky though as DH is an accountant and generally can't take time off April - July.

It's your business and tbh I would take it when you want.

JulieA
15-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I would go on and book for whenever suits you and tell your parents when you will be off. The thing is if you have several sets of parents chances are they won't all want the same holiday time so you could end up not taking any. I would also take advantage of the cheaper holidays out side of school holidays

kellib
15-01-2012, 06:59 PM
I take 2 weeks in October, 1 at Christmas and 1 in May plus a few days here and there if needed

snufflepuff
15-01-2012, 06:59 PM
I take mine when I like!

I don't care for any school aged children, but even if I did I think I'd have to take some time off during term time- for example I never work on my son's birthday or my partners birthday. And if we want to go away somewhere we would only be able to afford term time, the prices in holidays are so much higher! We want to take advantage of being able to go at cheaper times before DS starts school.

jelly15
15-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I take two weeks off over Christmas and the same two weeks in the school summer holidays. I stick to this as parents know where they are. I did have one grandmother who told me I should be taking my time off when it was convenient for her daughter as they paid me :eek:. I told her as do four other sets of parents and it would be impossible for me to keep them all happy.

cupcake22
15-01-2012, 09:45 PM
I just tell parents when i will be off. I always give them plenty of notice. The thing is if you start asking parents what they want you may find you end up with no time off yourself.

Cupcake22

selena 31
15-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I take time off at xmas and 2 weeks in august but i am taking 2 weeks off end of may and begining of june this year too! i do have mostly term time only i did feel bad about taking so much time off but it is your buisness and i dont charge parents through school holidays so i think they have to be flexible with me too they cant have it always round can they!

miffy
15-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I take my holidays when I want them!

I don't have young children of my own but still take some time off in school holidays and some in term time when rates are generally cheaper.

I work with several families and couldn't hope to fit my holidays in to suit all of them so I please myself but always give them plenty of notice and if they want I can try and find them alternative care.

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
16-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Its probably not going to be convenient with all parents to have the same date (if they can choose) so just book when you want and tell them when you will be closed.

Chimps Childminding
16-01-2012, 07:34 AM
I agree, take them whenever suits YOU!!! In the past I have worked around parents as much as possible, but as you get busier its impossible and its also not fair if you always seem to fit in with one particular set of parents holiday. As long as you give them as much notice as possible there shouldn't be a problem!!!

amanda1309
16-01-2012, 09:55 AM
I am taking 2 weeks at Easter 1 is school holidays the other they are back at school. The rest are through the school holidays but that's the way it's fallen this year as my DH works 3 on 2 off.

I told my parents on the first day back in jan what my holidays were for the whole year.