PDA

View Full Version : Tax Return?!?

handeme
15-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I think I am cofusing myself and I am just wanting some advice really.

I started childminding last March last year but becuase I had only worked one week of the tax year 2010-2011 they said to not submit anything for that week and add an extra week onto this years return 2011-2012.

My question is, when do you start receving information from them, your log on details etc? I have never had any information from HMRC.

Obviously you cant submit everything for this tax year until the end of it March 2012 but I want to be prepared and not forget anything.

C x

rosebud
15-01-2012, 07:53 PM
You need to request a security key which is like a password which you use to access the government gateway system on the first occasion. You also get a user name which is a random mix of letters and numbers, the first time you log in then you'll choose your own password for future use. Unfortunately its so long since I did it I can't remember who you apply to for the security key so I'm not much help! I'm sure someone will be along to give better advice.

~Grasshopper~
15-01-2012, 08:02 PM
hi hun,

Did you register online with them??. i started on 4th april 11 and i had to do a tax return for 1 day. i was advised to file a nil return and carry my start up costs over to this tax year 11/12. so thats how ive done it.

xx

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/register-selfemp.htm

Chatterbox Childcare
15-01-2012, 08:04 PM
If you have registered as self employed you would have had some correspondance from the HMRC.

I am surprised that you were told to add on another week into 2011/12 but expected them to say carry forward a loss but still lodge the return.

In the past you should have had some paperwork from them and it will have your UTR number on it (10 digits). use that and get your login password and number from the website. www.hmrc.gov.uk and go to self assessment and register. All takes about 10 days

handeme
16-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes I registered as Self Employed with them back on my initial day of working. They told me nit to submit anything for my inital week of working and to add an additional week onto to this years tax return. I did ask them to double check and they confirmed the same again.

I will give them a ring about not receiving and correspondence from them.

People are on about the tax return deadline for January 2012, that isn't something I should be worrying about is it? x

~Grasshopper~
16-01-2012, 01:43 PM
no you dont need to do one till next year then if your adding it on. the one weve submitted just now is for april 10 to april 11.

xx

handeme
16-01-2012, 02:15 PM
I will double check with then when I call x