PDA

View Full Version : Hot Food

melco
15-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I am still in the pre reg stage but just been discussing with my husband what we should be offering the children and what time I should be working until. I have told my husband that I feel working until 6.30pm helps the parents who are working late and this would mean offering hot food.

My husband feels that I should finish earlier because he has heard from another CM that if I offer hot food in the evening it is harder to pass a hygiene test so I may not be able to offer the service.

Any advice? Do most people offer hot food and if so have they had any problems? I just feel that if I don't give that as an option I may lose out on potential parents wanting to send their children to me.

Thanks in advance

Mel x

moggy
15-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I have found end times just depends on the parent's job- mine happen to all be 5.30pm and I cook hot meal to eat at 5pm. Other CM I know has children leave 5pm and does hot meal 4.30pm. I have found hot meal is valued by parents who don't want to have to cook after a long day at work and can just get child home and into their play/bath/bed routine. As for Food Hygiene checks- all depends on your area, some council come and check everyone, some almost none. I have done a food hygiene course but have never been visited by env health. I would not worry if I was though as I know I follow procedures. Get hold of 'Safer Food Better Business For Childminders' from your local env. health at the council (free folder, just phone and ask) as it covers everything you will need to be aware of and gives details of what you can do without being registered as a food business and what you can't do if you are not registered.
Being registered as a food business (which may lead to env. health visits) is not just if you offer hot food- even making sandwiches for lunch or cutting up fruit for a snack would require it. Get the folder- it really does explain what you need to consider whether you are going to offer food or not.

JulieA
15-01-2012, 06:59 PM
What moggy said!

rosebud
15-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Doesn't matter whether you do hot food or not, you still need to register as food business, even if only doing cold food, but will still be classed as "low risk" even if you do hot food. Inspections vary between areas, I have just had one which was done over the phone, attend a food hygiene course if you get chance although its not compulsory.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-01-2012, 08:11 PM
You will have to register anyway, even if you provide snacks.

It isn't hard just a course

melco
16-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone, thought this would be the case but decided to listen to my husband!! What does he know? Thanks. Just noticed I have a Safer Food Better Business info and DVD so will have a look at that. Thanks!