PDA

View Full Version : Husband is driving my MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little steps
14-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I was just wondering what happen with peoples tax?????
I started in Sept '11 and have paid a tax bill that has been sent to me for £12.50?
But my hubby is driving my round the bend telling me that i should be completitng a tax return form (all b'coz his dad is doing his,(he not a CM lol))

Can anyone advise me please on what HMRC do???
do they contact me when i am due to put one in, as i am new to this it is all very confusing, still struggling with the whole book keeping part :blush:

Thank you in advance

stardust
14-01-2012, 11:17 PM
I was just wondering what happen with peoples tax?????
I started in Sept '11 and have paid a tax bill that has been sent to me for £12.50?
But my hubby is driving my round the bend telling me that i should be completitng a tax return form (all b'coz his dad is doing his,(he not a CM lol))

Can anyone advise me please on what HMRC do???
do they contact me when i am due to put one in, as i am new to this it is all very confusing, still struggling with the whole book keeping part :blush:

Thank you in advance

you need to regester as self employed.
HMRC will send you a paper tax return or you can do it online.
Then you have a date to send it in by.
Then you will be sent a letter detailing how much tax you need to pay and when.
Your tax return will be sent in April i think and then the first lot of tax will be due to be paid Jan 2013

Mollymop
14-01-2012, 11:36 PM
As Tara says if you have registered your self as self employed they would have sent you out a letter reminding you to complete your tax return.
You still have time to do it online by 31st of January.
You need to give the HMRC a call and tell them you are Self Employed and they will send out everything you need with the next few days

You might not have earned enought to pay tax but you will still have to tell declare what you have earned this year x

MrAnchovy
15-01-2012, 12:42 AM
No Mollymop, she started in September 2011. HMRC will write to you in April or May telling you to submit your return for the period to 5 April 2012 online by 31 January 2013.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-01-2012, 11:14 AM
If you paid £12.50 this would of been for tax year 2010-11 I am presuming.

As Mr A says if you started in Sept 11 you need to complete your books from Sept 11 to (I suggest) 31st March 2012 and then submit them when you are ready. Doing it online you have until 31st Jan to submit and pay any penalties and on paper 31st Oct 2012. My suggestion is get it done and submit it and then you know if you are due to pay anything or not and you have time to save. I would not expect you to pay anything this year unless you have another job.

CH1957
15-01-2012, 03:14 PM
No Mollymop, she started in September 2011. HMRC will write to you in April or May telling you to submit your return for the period to 5 April 2012 online by 31 January 2013.

Mr Anchovy is right. As you started childminding in September 2011 you do not need to do a tax return until 31 January 2013 if you do it online.

mrs_scottydog
15-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I think that the £12.50 bill that you paid may have been for your National Insurance contribution. You have to make 2 payments a year. I think your next bill will arrive in April. As others have said you don't need to do a tax return until after 5th April. Hx

Little steps
16-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Thank you everybody,

That is such a weight off my shoulders, I will wait till April

Thank you again

LittleBuds
16-01-2012, 09:05 PM
This is really helpful for me too, thank you. I started on 5th December 2011. I'll register with HMRC as self employed tomorrow and continue to keep my accounts up to date (the NCMA accounts book is pretty self explanitary). Doubt I'll have much to pay though as my set up costs have been really high and my income to date scarily low :(, still have time for business to pick up though.

thnaks as usual for all the helpful and quick advice.

A.