PDA

View Full Version : Use of Hand Gel!

Cassie
14-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I don't have a sink in the childrens toilet which means they wash their hands in the kitchen...I have recently put a hand gel dispenser in the toilet which the children are learning to use...do i need a policy for this? I have added it to my permissions form,but not sure if this is enough for Ofsted????

Mollymop
14-01-2012, 08:09 PM
You shouldnt need to ask permission for the children to use hand gel. Just make sure you include in it your risk assessments due to hazards such as swallowing etc.

green puppy
14-01-2012, 08:28 PM
On my last first aid course we were told we should try not to use hand gel for children as it strips the hands of natural oils. Not sure if that's right or not. I would probably check with parents to be honest if it is used regularly. I have one lo that gets eczema (sorry can't think of correct spelling!!) and hand gel really dries out her skin so parents never use it.

Mollymop
14-01-2012, 08:38 PM
On my last first aid course we were told we should try not to use hand gel for children as it strips the hands of natural oils. Not sure if that's right or not. I would probably check with parents to be honest if it is used regularly. I have one lo that gets eczema (sorry can't think of correct spelling!!) and hand gel really dries out her skin so parents never use it.

I think she means hand gel soap from a dispenser or have I got it wrong? x

green puppy
14-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I think she means hand gel soap from a dispenser or have I got it wrong? x

Ah ok, sorry thought you meant the ones like they have in all the surgeries and things now! If you mean liquid soap then no, I would not have signed permission.

Mollymop
14-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Ah ok, sorry thought you meant the ones like they have in all the surgeries and things now! If you mean liquid soap then no, I would not have signed permission.

I dunno lol, not sure you might be right!!! I read things wrong lots of times hehe

sarah707
14-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't use gel unless there's nothing else because it dries out skin and really isn't recommended for use by children.

It also doesn't clean the hand and take off the dirt so if they do have faeces or urine on their skin it's not being washed off.

If I have to use gel I use it in combination with wipes which take off dirt and get to a sink asap.

When I don't have running water I use a bowl of warm water, hand soap and individual tissues. I replenish the water for each child.

Hth :D

Cassie
14-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone..I think i might stick to hand washing it seems a lot less hassle!!! All of my parents have been fine with me using it but obviously there are issues so we'll go back to good old soap & water...:laughing: