PDA

View Full Version : Cerebral Palsy

Demonjill
14-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Have had an enquiry from a parent whose child has "mild" cerebral palsy.

Only in an email so dont know ins and outs yet.

I have had experience of people with all sorts of issues in the past when I was a riding instructor and worked with special needs and although a few were kids most were adults but im a bit rusty there

Just wondered if any of your children or minded children have cerebral palsy and how it affects them, you , other children in your care etc

i would just like to be more prepared in case parent contacts me again which i think she will

Greengrass74
14-01-2012, 11:14 AM
We look after a 16yo with severe cerebral palsy and is wheelchair bound, we have no problems looking after her and she joins in with most activities. The only thing is due to the wheelchair we have had to make a couple of minor adjustments to the house, i.e. ramps etc.

The other LO's treat her no differant and they love having her around.

http://www.scope.org.uk/help-and-information/cerebral-palsy-and-associated-impairments/introduction-cerebral-palsy

This site has loads of info

mushpea
14-01-2012, 03:40 PM
I had a little boy from 8monts old to 18months old who had cerebal paulsy,, he couldnt sit or stand unaided and used to roll around the floor instead of crawl,, he was lovley to work with and the other children loved him and used to help him to join in which was really sweet. I used to have his physios come to my house as he was most comfotable with them there and i would have a stand for him so he could stand and join in activities and also chair that would help him to learn to sit and allow him to join in activities in a siting position,,, he would go in a 'normal' pushchair/car seat when I had him and was a joy to work with. he was treated no differently from any of the others in regards to activitiys etc and enjoyued the same oportunitys as the others just with a bit more help. his physio was done through play so I could involve the others if they wanted to join in.
the only thing for me would have been when he moved in to his own pushchair then how would I transport other babies but I was looking in to a buggy pod on the side of his pushchair although this never happend as his parents circmumstances changed so he stopped comming.

blue bear
14-01-2012, 04:50 PM
My nephew has mild cp. As a toddler he was behind in his mile stones, his speech was delayed and he was slower to carry out activities than other children his age. He walked at 20 months and would just tire more quickly thanaverage for his age, he only ever and still does need his wheel chair for bad days. he was and still is a very happy chap a pleasure to be with and care for.
I'm sure mum will give you lots of info, just be sure to ask about every thing, tolietung feeding, fears etc as we foulnd with L everything was just that little bit harder but he always got there in the end.

miffy
14-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I looked after a child with cp some years ago - like fifi says he got tired quickly and needed some special adaptations like toilet seat and enough space to use his walking frame indoors. He had a special bike that he used to make the journey to school on as couldn't walk that far and I couldn't push his wheelchair as I had non-walkers and needed a buggy.

Miffy xx

Demonjill
14-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks so much everyone and for the site Dave :thumbsup:

When I know more will let you know thanks

Maza
14-01-2012, 08:13 PM
My brother has mild CP. He didn't need any special equipment but just took longer to dress himself and other every day physical activities. He did need physio every day but it was all done in a playful way and we all used to join in. Just think, it will give you lots of opportunities for 'working with other agencies'!