View Full Version : First Real Mindeee...ADVICE???

13-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Hey everyone!
Today I had my first real enquiry, I say real as before xmas I had an autistic child for a few days whilst her mother cleaned and shopped etc and I had my niece. The parents are coming on Monday to view etc, she has a 1yo and a 3yo but the placement will only be for the 1yo at the moment starting in June. I know it is early for me to charge a retainer but I'm a little unsure. I do not know hours yet either so I can't work out prices until monday. Here are my questions...
-would it be rude to send her away and then work out the costs? esepcially as I would have to ask about term time/ non-term time hours.
-if I did take the retainer to hold the place, I know it would be frowned upon to take another child but this placement wouldnt be until June...
Actually the more I'm writing this and thinking about it I'm unsure whether to say yes at all seems as it is a while away...oh I don't know lol! Any advice?? I have read so many other threads but I'm still a little lost! :) Thank you sooooo much in advance!!

13-01-2012, 05:31 PM
It's fine to say - I need to work this out and check my diary I will get back to you later today / tomorrow with a final figure.

However if you take a retainer then the place should be for the child so do think carefully about it if it's a long time away.

Hth :D

13-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I quite often tell the parents that I will get back to them with the costs - I don't want to quote them a price that is too low and regret it later!

Could you take a deposit instead of a retainer? Then it will mean that you could look after another child in the mean time, as the child that has paid the deposit will only need their place in June, therefore freeing up that space from now until June. But it means less money for you!

13-01-2012, 08:06 PM
For me it would depend on how many spaces do you have. If, like me, you only have 1 early years space I wouldn't say yes or take a deposit, but would ask that they check back with you closer to the time. I couldn't afford to hold a space that long, even for half-pay! If you have more than one and are happy to wait, I would maybe first talk about a retainer and see how mum feels about it. If she shudders in shock you could consider taking a non-refundable deposit. June is a long time away and lots of things can change. You are going to be unhappy if you give the space to her, even with deposit / retainer, turn work away and then she changes her mind. As to cost, I charge an hourly rate with a daily minimum - this means I can be clear and consistent with my charges. Maybe it is worth figuring out beforehand what your rate structure will be so that you can just hand them to her and not worry about it. She is probably 'shopping' around a bit as it is so early and may not know exactly what hours she will need yet. Good luck with it!

15-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank you sooo much ladies!! I really apprecaite all your comments, they have given me a lot to think about :) All my fingers are crossed that tomorrow goes well! Thank you again!!

15-01-2012, 08:28 PM
good luck for tomorrow :)

15-01-2012, 09:07 PM
good luck for tomorrow, keep us posted!

20-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Thank you soo much for all your help! :) The parents have decided to come with me..whooop!! :clapping: I'm so pleased, even if it isn't until June, I feel like all my hard work is finally paying off! Also I decided to take a deposit of 2 weeks pay, which mum was more than happy with, and she has already sent out some recommendations to other which is brill so hopefully I will be busy working in no time. Thanks again!!

20-01-2012, 05:37 PM

20-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Well done. :clapping: