View Full Version : What to do?

12-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Parent has emailed tonight asking for a letter from us including hours from 2011-2012 and including receipts. This is for hm revenue and customs who have written to her as she has been selected for a review, they also want our phone number but they have this as they called us 6 months ago to check what she was paying.

Firstly I'm confussed as is it normal for them to go to the parent and not us? After all they have contacted me directly in the past.

Secondly if they want attendance does it have to be written down date by date as a long list?

Could really do with out this as they want it by end of jan and still sorting my own blinkin tax. Can I charge for the time this takes me out of my own time or is that mean?

Sorry I don't think I'm making much sense but thanks in advance :)

12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
iv had exact same off a parent, she gave me the letter and i had it off her to photocopy the relevant bits for her.. the attendace you just give a copy of contract if parent not got it.

12-01-2012, 08:16 PM
I used to do this regularly for 1 parent, every 6 mths, she was asked to get a letter from me to confirm l had the child and as receipts were given weekly and dated these confirmed when l had her daughter. I used to just put my reg no and say that l can confirm l looked after child X.

12-01-2012, 08:24 PM
If they haven't kept the receipts you gave them then as far as I can see it's their problem... Sorry to sound harsh.

By all means give them a letter confirming contracted hours but that would be it if it was me

12-01-2012, 08:28 PM
I used to give receipts, but usually found then crumpled up in the bottom of the child's bag. Now I write all payments received in the back of the daily diary. I date it and sign it, so hopefully that would do if a parent was ever asked to provide the info.

12-01-2012, 08:51 PM
i don't give reciepts.

all payments are made by bacs transfer and i was told that was as good as a reciept.

12-01-2012, 09:05 PM
I had the same thing... I used a CM from May to July when I was still working and needed an emergency CM... She didnt have anything but she wrote a letter stating her name, address, Registration Number and basically wrote "I can confirm that X and Y were in my care from X date to X date and Emma Reed paid a total sum of £XXX during this period. If you require anyother details please contact me on XXX"

12-01-2012, 09:28 PM
I do an account inventory detailing the date of the deposit was received, date of fee's added so

20.1.11 January fee's £xxxxx the account balance
then I detail all recieved payments

31.1.11 January fee payment £xxxx cheque no/ bacs ect Account balance (if they are owing its coloured red)

This way i can just look at the total amount of money paid to me to work out my earnings and if a parent needs a list for tax credits or whatever i just print/ e-mail it to them.

I also add my expenses to my expenses list so i just take the total of all my expenses at the end of the tax year. I cant be dealing with spending hours messing around with a years worth of invoices and receepts. I keep all my receipts but if i have one sheet of paper with it all on its easier.

12-01-2012, 09:48 PM
It sounds like HMRC just want a general confirmation of when child attends and how much parent pays so you could just do a letter confirming that.

Miffy xx

12-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Cheers ladies I knew you would come up trumps xx

14-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Could really do with out this as they want it by end of jan and still sorting my own blinkin tax.

Sorry for going completely off topic, but when I read this I saw bikini tax. I couldn't believe that we would be taxed for our choice in swimwear. :laughing:

14-01-2012, 11:28 AM
I've just uploaded the template i use for such letters from the tax credits people - i have had several over the years as i quite a few children signed up for "as and when" childcare so their amounts vary which gets tax credits talking lol hope it helps some of you - i just fill this in and attach a copy of the child's contract :) never had any further questions x

14-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I use the NCMA accounts book where you can write in each month the amount paid for each child on a separate sheet at the back of the book. This would probably surfice as proof of amount paid I would have thought. I also give out reciepts each month though.

Carol M
14-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I also use the NCMA system, give NCMA receipts and fill in NCMA accounts book. I also do invoices for parents and have copies , I can then link to the receipt number, my bank statements for received date and note receipt number in the accounts book that parents sign. So would be easy to confirm parents payments if asked. I like your idea of printing a summary sheet Jo Jo.
Carol xx

14-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Thats pretty standard. One of my parents works for the government and because of this has extra strict tax credits checks on her! I regularly have to send copies of contracts, and confirm they attend. My monthly invoices that I email to her are more than enough to prove this, as are her bank statements highlighting that she has transferred money to me. I can never give exact hours of attendance because her children are here Mon-Thurs but often get dropped early, picked up late and I have been known to have them on my days off if mum is desperate!

14-01-2012, 01:31 PM
I email a receipt every month to parents and their invoice....very easy and no bits of paper necessary :)