PDA

View Full Version : Mind gone blank!!

child_friendly
12-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Have just had a call from Early Years and they are coming to visit next Wednesday!!I am actually scared and feel as though i have so much still to do. I need to do a risk assessment for each room in the house and the garden, also got to have a clear out of a couple of the rooms. Need to check my policies/procedures and get the required paperwork ready. What do i need?? Im a bit lost now and my minds gone blank....if anyone could help me that would be great. Am going to clear the house in the next few days and work on the risk assessments and things in the evenings when my son's gone to bed. It's where to put stuff- does everything need to be neat and tidy??

Penny1959
12-01-2012, 04:42 PM
You say 'Early Years' - do you mean the team within your LA?

If so - stop panicing - it is not their job to judge. Although every Early Years is different - when it was my job to visit propestive childminders - my role was to offer support - make sure the had all the relevant booklets and information sheets. To ask if they need any help with the questions in the pre reg book, to tell them about the childminding groups and children's centres in their area.

And should you mean Ofsted - well at Pre reg the main thing they are checking is your understanding of the EYFS and in particular safegaurding procedures. Ofsted are happy with some things done and some things still on a to do lists. They will talk things through with you. It is not until you get your graded inspection that a 'judgement' is made.

Penny :)

child_friendly
12-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Well she said she was from Early Years and was asking what i had etc and had i done my courses, crb etc so think shes just checking things...wasn't quite sure as was sorting my son out at the time. Thanx though Penny i just had a funny five minutes where i thought everything had to be right and done properly.

Penny1959
12-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Well she said she was from Early Years and was asking what i had etc and had i done my courses, crb etc so think shes just checking things...wasn't quite sure as was sorting my son out at the time. Thanx though Penny i just had a funny five minutes where i thought everything had to be right and done properly.

Most LA Early years teams do keep Sats on childminders and prospective childminders.

But as I say if Ofsted or someone from LA Early Years team - it makes no difference as you donot have to have every thing in place.

Let us know how it goes on Wednesday

Penny :)

afsha1810
12-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I had my visit yesterday and what they want to know is your knowledge and understanding of the EYFS. Have you completed the booklet provided with the apllication forms? It has all the questions in it they will ask you and is very useful especially right up until she arrives. She flicked through my policies/procedures just as she was leaving and said the most important ones you need to have are managing behaviour policy, safeguarding children policy, complaints procedure. With regards to risk assessment I made a list of what needed doing and explained when they will be completed. Make sure all detergents are locked away and any sharp objects (kitchen knives) are put out of reach of children (I store mine in a top cupboard in my kitchen).

Most importantly don't panic and be yourself.

Hope it all goes well for you and good luck.

Afsha :)

child_friendly
12-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I am working my way through the booklet Afsha, its taking a while. I have done most of my policies/procedures but will only print out the ones that are stated i need.

miffy
12-01-2012, 06:03 PM
You could put all your policies/procedures on cd for parents if you want

Good luck for Wednesday

Miffy xx