PDA

View Full Version : Suspended childminder-help!

annie09
12-01-2012, 04:29 PM
in October 2011, an incident took place (over a weekend) with my teenage daughter in which resulted in her recieving a scratch on her neck and slight bruiing to her arm where I restrained her. My ex husband turned up, called the police and although at the time the police dismissed the matter as non reportable, they were obliged to inform social services. The next day, a social worker and police child protection officer turned up at my home and told me that an allegation of abuse had been made by my ex husband and that I was to cease childminding with immediate effect whilst they made inquiries. I was absolutely distraught. I was interviewed by the police later that week and told the matter was nfa'd. I informed Ofsted on the Monday morning about what had occurred over the weekend and recieved a visit from them and was told I was suspended. This is still ongoing. The parents of all the children I mind have been extremely supportive and written to Ofsted in my defence and stating theri wshes for their children to be returned to my care. I have been a childminder for almost 12 years and have never had a complaint made against me and my inspection reports have always been good verging on outstanding. The problem I have, in association with the 'assault' is that 7 years ago as a result of being in an unhappy, abusive marriage I suffered a spell of depression. My ex has told social services this, who in turn told Ofsted and they have made and issue of the fact I did not tell them about my depression at the time as that would question my suitability. I took time off(the children I had returned, Parents were aware of the situation), got better, ditched the husband and worked hard at retaining a happy,successful childminding business for my self and my children and we had avery happy life. Ofsted are now requesting a health declaration from my doctor regarding my health and suitability to continue childminding, and again my doctor is supporting me. I just cant believe an isolated incident with a teenager could cause so much trouble and upset. I 'm terrified that my childminding life is over and although I have contacted my insurers their legal team have done very little in the way of helping. Does anyone have any advice please???

loocyloo
12-01-2012, 05:38 PM
i'm sorry to hear your story, and whilst i have no advice, i'm sure others will be along soon to help.

sending you a hug

xxx

Tam's Tribe
12-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi . . . no advice but just hope all is resolved soon and sending ((huggies))

AliceK
12-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I would think that the fact that Ofsted have asked for a health declaration from your Dr would mean that they are still considering you suitable for childminding and that you should (given that your Dr is supporting you in this) be able to carry on.
It seems unbelievable that something so silly could have far reaching reprocussions like this.
Sending you hugs and strength to keep going with this ((( )))

xxx

sarah707
12-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately others have found that Ofsted are a law unto themselves when things like this happen and will take a long time to make decisions if they believe children might be at risk.

From a parents point of view we are grateful that they are so careful to protect children - but when you are on the receiving end of something that you believe is being blown out of proportion it must be very hard :(

The legal team via your insurance company will only be able to support you if something illegal has happened. In this case the illegality is from you / your doctor not informing Ofsted about the depression so I can't see how they will be able to help.

The next step will probably be for you to have an appointment with one of their medical team to check your suitability to work. However as you have found these things take time and Ofsted will make you wait while they gather evidence.

Hugs xx

miffy
12-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Sorry you're having such problems

Are you a member of NCMA? If so I would contact them and see what advice/support they can offer you.

Hope it gets sorted soon

Miffy xx

catminder
12-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Just wanted to send my best wishes and hope your case will be resolved asap.
You must be under an enourmous amount of pressure at the moment, from your post it sounds like your ex husband has exploited this incident with your daughter to cause you grief and make your life difficult rather than a genuine concern for your daughter's safety? I hope your relationship with your daughter is ok now, it may be that your ex wants to cause trouble but of course I don't know all the details.
I hope you have been able to find work to tide you over while all this is going on. If you have the support of your GP and mindees parents then that sounds quite positive, take care
Alison X

The Juggler
12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
hon, if it were me I would ask ofsted for a meeting with an inspector to discuss this and ask what the situation is. In fact I would insist on this urgently (as soon as you have the doctors declaration). If they are not going to let you continue it would only be fair of them to let you know and soon.

annie09
12-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you all for your supportive comments.

Although not a member of the NCMA, I do have insurance with Morton Michel and haven't had much help from their legal team to date.

Yes, my ex-husband has taken advantage of this situation, which is really upsetting. He has gone so far as to contact a local childminding group (not the one I am a member of) to dis credit me and exagerrate his version of events.

It has been very, very hard to keep going with this and initially I tried to keep in contact with my minded children by attending playgroups with their current temporary childminder and having them come to visit with their own parents, but as time has gone on, I feel like I'm distancing myself, to not give them false hope. The children themselves have phoned and text me and whenever I see them, are asking when they are coming back. it's heartbreaking. My whole life revolves around childminding and even going to my local supermarket is upsetting as the staff are always asking where 'all my kids are?' It's all had a major impact on my life and high lights just how alone you are in this job (no Manager to support you, a deadly quiet house during the daytime). If I'd worked in a nursery, I would have been back at work by now. I've absolutely loved my time and as a childminder and find it so hard to imagine doing anything else..

My relationship with my daughter has improved and after a brief spell at her Dads has realised the grass isn't greener and she has a loving happy home here. I hope things remain that way. It's just unbelievable how one incident could have such disastrous consequences. I've been lucky to have such fab parents(of the children)past and present, fellow childminders, my doctor and friends to support me, but although they've all inputted in trying to help re: Ofsted, I don't know if it will be enough to help me being able to carry on in a job I love. Ofsted have given no indication of which way things will go and even trawling the internet for similar cases gives me no indication. I feel that Ofsted are pushing for me to resign as this is the easier option, but I really want to get back to where I was. I really hope no other childminder ever has to go though this. I hope I don't sound too melodramatic, but it's just how I feel and the simple truth.

hello kitty
12-01-2012, 07:53 PM
What an awful time you are having.

Sending you hugs.

BuggsieMoo
12-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Oh you poor love your ex-husband (well I think we can all see why he is an ex) is a nasty piece of work. :angry:

I don't really have any words of wisdom but wanted you to know that you have lots of support from us lot on the forum and sending you a very BIG HUG.

Please do keep us informed and will be keeping it all crossed for you

BuggsieMoo xx

Blaze
12-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I had an investigation (via malicious complaint) OFSTED didn't suspend me, but it was touch & go! It ran from the 5th of October to the 22nd of February (when I was then cleared - No Further Action)! This was inclusive of a medical report. My advice to you would be to get the medical report completed & returned ASAP. I think they are just going back & crossing the t's & dotting the i's re your suitability, so please try not to worry too much! I would keep a copy of the report also (things that are v. important tend to get lost by OFSTED)! Give it a few days then pester the investigating team! Sending hugs. x

watgem
12-01-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't have any advice but I really feel for you and I hope that it gets sorted out as quickly as possible, sending hugs xxx

annie09
12-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Thank you and thank you Blaze, its reassuring to know this could possibly have a positive outcome. Fingers crossed!! Feels like Im living in limbo and everyday is a day further from getting 'my kids' back. But all the positive comments have made me feel better about things :) Thank you

PixiePetal
12-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I was suspended - and had it turned over exactly a year ago. Different circumstances but there feelings of hopelessness were there. Childminding, other than my family, is my life.

All I can say is hang in there, get the health thing done and push that your families want you back. The paperwork and red tape take ages - felt like a lifetime but was cleared in 2 weeks. Worst 2 weeks of my life :( I know all the official people need to do there thing but I do feel they forget that there is often a lone person sitting sitting home in turmoil.

My working life has never been the same, I no longer attend CM group as a CM was involved in the allegation, but true friends have stuck with me as did my families :)

Oh, and when I was going through all this, Ofsted did say I could hand in my registration but I think they just have to tell you that option, it was never an option for me

Elly
13-01-2012, 06:24 PM
My friend was wrongly accused of smacking a minded child. Ofsted immediately removed the minded children. She was visited by the local council and eventually Ofsted visited her at her home. Checks were made on her in the following days to see if she was in fact minding.

Morten Michel and the local council did not offer any help. She had to report to the local police station and was later allowed to return to her job.

All in all, a terrible time. It took ages and ages for Ofsted to decide that the allegations were not upheld.

I am really sorry for your troubles, hang on in there and keep strong.

Chimps Childminding
13-01-2012, 08:24 PM
No real advice to give, just as someone else said get the health check done asap then Ofsted will have no reason for dragging their heels!!! Good luck!!

Babycat
14-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Having read this, was your depression during minding? where you treated?

would you contact ofsted for a cold? eye infection? any other medical issue that would maybe change your day to day self? Is this not discrimination?

And anyway- the incident is not related to health so how dare they ask for a medical on HEARSAY! Is nothing between you and your doctor personal? Can they demand docotors notes when they want? Especially when you are over it and at the time what it was for- divorce is like a bereavement, losing someone (be it sounding like hes a toss pot) you rely on, so would you then call ofsted when someone does to tell them you are low and need a medical For goodness SAKE!

Sorry but I think you should be going down the complaints route IMO.

Tell them one thing at a time. Its terrible. The fact that you have several people to tell them the job you do and have been doing is great and they all wish you back.

So im here to tell you! GET UP and FIGHT it all!!!

BlondeMoment
14-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Does your ex husband have any idea on the impact this is having on your life? What a nasty piece of work.
I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a horrible time and really hope it all gets sorted out soon. It sounds like you're doing all you can x

Mollymop
14-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the terrible time you are going through. Sending a supportive hug to you. Stay strong I am sure it will sort itself out for the better very soon xx

annie09
14-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks again all of you for your kind words.

Babycat, yes, the depression was whilst I was minding, but I took time out to get back on track. Apparently you have to inform OFSTED of ANYTHING that affects your 'suitability' so if I developed a bad back(an example given by the Compliance officer that visited)-tell Ofsted, require glasses-tell Ofsted, basically its quite vague what you need to tell them. but the rule seems to be if in doubt-tell Ofsted!!

And no, the incident is not related to my health, but I think the mere fact its been flagged means it has to be investigated. It's been a revelation to me, just how many childminders that I know personally, who have either been on anti-depressants or are currently on them, but have not told Ofsted as they see it as a medical condition they have addressed and sought help with and therefore not necessary to report to Ofsted. I'm sure there are many more childminders out there in that same position and the result of informing Ofsted could possibly be having your 'suitability' questioned and going through heatlth declarations etc..just what you need if you are feeling down!
Funnily enough when I had to report a parent to social services for abusing their child, I informed Ofsted and they werent interested because the incident hadnt occurred whilst in my care, although they did subsequently give me an 'outstanding' grade for safeguarding in my inspection!!!

PixiePetal, Im glad your story has a happy ending and yeah I can relate to the feeling of hopelessness and estrangement from normal childminding activites, I attended a few groups during the day with my mindees, I totally feel 'out of the loop' and if things are sorted, I think its going to feel strange trying to get back to normal.

Elly, your friend's story sounds familiar to mine, I happy for her, that things worked out and hope things are sorted for me too.

Ive looked up the amount of childminders who have had registrations cancelled in the past and each year the figure is 7 or less in comparison to treble figures who resign after allegations/investigations. So I'm gonna hang on in there and really hope I'm not one of this year's 7!!!

And yeah the ex is a nasty piece of work, he always hated me minding. He disliked the fact that I at times earned more than him and that I'd built up a successful business and remained in the marital home and earnt enough for myself and our children to live comfortably, without me ever asking for his help (other than the CSA which he begrudges paying). And more so, he hated that I was happy.

stardust
14-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks again all of you for your kind words.

Babycat, yes, the depression was whilst I was minding, but I took time out to get back on track. Apparently you have to inform OFSTED of ANYTHING that affects your 'suitability' so if I developed a bad back(an example given by the Compliance officer that visited)-tell Ofsted, require glasses-tell Ofsted, basically its quite vague what you need to tell them. but the rule seems to be if in doubt-tell Ofsted!!

And no, the incident is not related to my health, but I think the mere fact its been flagged means it has to be investigated. It's been a revelation to me, just how many childminders that I know personally, who have either been on anti-depressants or are currently on them, but have not told Ofsted as they see it as a medical condition they have addressed and sought help with and therefore not necessary to report to Ofsted. I'm sure there are many more childminders out there in that same position and the result of informing Ofsted could possibly be having your 'suitability' questioned and going through heatlth declarations etc..just what you need if you are feeling down!
Funnily enough when I had to report a parent to social services for abusing their child, I informed Ofsted and they werent interested because the incident hadnt occurred whilst in my care, although they did subsequently give me an 'outstanding' grade for safeguarding in my inspection!!!

PixiePetal, Im glad your story has a happy ending and yeah I can relate to the feeling of hopelessness and estrangement from normal childminding activites, I attended a few groups during the day with my mindees, I totally feel 'out of the loop' and if things are sorted, I think its going to feel strange trying to get back to normal.

Elly, your friend's story sounds familiar to mine, I happy for her, that things worked out and hope things are sorted for me too.

Ive looked up the amount of childminders who have had registrations cancelled in the past and each year the figure is 7 or less in comparison to treble figures who resign after allegations/investigations. So I'm gonna hang on in there and really hope I'm not one of this year's 7!!!

And yeah the ex is a nasty piece of work, he always hated me minding. He disliked the fact that I at times earned more than him and that I'd built up a successful business and remained in the marital home and earnt enough for myself and our children to live comfortably, without me ever asking for his help (other than the CSA which he begrudges paying). And more so, he hated that I was happy.

Depression comes in all shapes and forms, it effects everyone at some point in life, as to whether you realize you have it or not is another story.
Just because people are depressed does not mean they neglect or abuse children. Its stupid it really is.
Well if ofsted want to know everything ill ring them Monday, Ill inform them i have a cold and then ring to update every time I sneeze! :censored::censored:the:censored:lot of them:censored:

Carol M
14-01-2012, 10:45 PM
So sorry to hear of your ordeal :(
Sending you hugs for a speedy resolution.
Chin up, you know the score and Ofsted will surely see all is ok.
Carol xx

candlequeen
15-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I am so sorry for what you are going through, and I hope this can be resolved soon.
It makes me so angry that your ex's personal grudge against you is causing him to undermine your livelihood, so indirectly punishing your daughter as well as you. It's really going to help your daughter to live in an uncertain financial environment, with a mother who's worried sick and unable to work, isn't it? You are ten times the parent he is because you are the one doing the tough job of parenting single-handedly and you actually care enough to try to discipline and protect your daughter from harm. Seems like your daughter realises this even at her young age.
Best of luck x x

Chatterbox Childcare
15-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I know of one case that NCMA are active in. Maybe take out membership with them and then ask for advice

flowerpots
15-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Oh hun, I cant imagine how your feeling but I hope it gets sorted as soon as possible. Sending love and hugs. :group hug:

Mummits
16-01-2012, 06:55 AM
I can't offer any relevant experience or advice, but my thoughts are with you and I hope all this trouble passes soon.