PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU ALL LIKE THE NEW VINNIE JONES ADVERT FOR CPR?

angeldelight
11-01-2012, 10:20 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16222183

What do you all think of the new advert?

Vinnie Jones demonstrates CPR .... do you like the ad?

Do you think its better now that you do not have to give " the kiss of life"?

Angel xx

Bluebell
11-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I think its a fab ad - and yes its great that if you are not trained in first aid you are being told to give it a go and save someones life.
not to mention that so many people a re talking about it too!

Jules
WWW.BLUELIONCHILDCARE.CO.UK

Mouse
11-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure if I like the advert or not. I've seen it a couple of times, but can't quite decide.

On my last first aid course they told us to just do chest compressions.

blue bear
12-01-2012, 06:32 AM
It's about time they did something 'in your face' it's terrible that so many people have no first aid knowledge at all. I can just imagine singing that song while bouncing up and down on someone's chest lol not sure the relatives would be too impressed !!!!

PixiePetal
12-01-2012, 06:51 AM
It's about time they did something 'in your face' it's terrible that so many people have no first aid knowledge at all. I can just imagine singing that song while bouncing up and down on someone's chest lol not sure the relatives would be too impressed !!!!

I know the tune of Nellie the Elephant works quite well for chest compressions :D

I am pleased that people are being told to try as anything is usually better than nothing as we are told at first aid training.

EmmaReed84
12-01-2012, 07:05 AM
I think it is great I have seen it loads of times and when it comes on I still stop to watch it... I love Vinnie Jones anyway!!!

onceinabluemoon
12-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Nellie the elephant is too slow now it has speeded up to 120 compressions a minute, unless you do it 'disco style', lol ;)

christine e
12-01-2012, 07:11 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16222183

What do you all think of the new advert?

Vinnie Jones demonstrates CPR .... do you like the ad?

Do you think its better now that you do not have to give " the kiss of life"?

Angel xx

[I]They still say that if you should do the breaths if you have done a first aid course the advert is intended for those who have no first aid training

PixiePetal
12-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Nellie the elephant is too slow now it has speeded up to 120 compressions a minute, unless you do it 'disco style', lol ;)

disco style is good :thumbsup: yes it is quite fast now. But I guess anything for an untrained person is still better than nothing?

so pleased on my part that we no longer do breathing apart from first rescue breaths - I was always unsure and never confident I was doing it right :o

singingcactus
12-01-2012, 07:15 AM
I pretty much love anything Vinnie Jones does :). The style is great for the message too, teenagers especially will definitely remember it in a time of crisis....although choice of song needs work, I mean beegees??????

RainbowMum
12-01-2012, 07:53 AM
LOve it :thumbsup: :)

angeldelight
12-01-2012, 07:57 AM
[I]They still say that if you should do the breaths if you have done a first aid course the advert is intended for those who have no first aid training

We were told on our first aid that we did not need to do it ?

Angel xx

ORKSIE
12-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Maybe we could do it to " Staying Alive" by the BeeGees:laughing::laughing::laughing:

angeldelight
12-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Maybe we could do it to " Staying Alive" by the BeeGees:laughing::laughing::laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

xxx

Tam's Tribe
12-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Not a Vinnie Jones fan but I LOVE the advert . . . I personally prefer the idea of compressions only, especially as it is beneficial . . . giggle every time I see it!!

little chickee
12-01-2012, 09:30 AM
I love that ad. I think it will definatley spring into someones mind if they ever find themselves in that situation.

The whole point about the BeeGees music is that it IS "staying alive". Very clever i think.

Pipsqueak
12-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Its a very clever add - its in your face, its hard hitting and personally I think first aid should be compulsory in schools!

Vinnie Jones is the 'hard man' gansta and will appeal to a certain generation of bonehead blokes, he is also well known to younger people through films and women like a bit of rough... so he appeals to all sorts.
Even my youngest finds the ad funny and has taken notice of it.

If it saves one life through someone giving it a go....:clapping:

What put many many people of giving it go is the 'kiss of life' and I must admit even as a trained first aider it doesn't appeal to me (yet I understand the value of it).

onceinabluemoon
12-01-2012, 09:39 AM
We were told on our first aid that we did not need to do it ?

Angel xx

Was that paediatric first aid Angel or something different? I have heard they are bringing in no rescue breaths at some point but not sure when (except I thought it wasn't until some time this year)

Tam's Tribe
12-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Was that paediatric first aid Angel or something different? I have heard they are bringing in no rescue breaths at some point but not sure when (except I thought it wasn't until some time this year)

I went on my First Aid Course last Saturday (and this Saturday) and we were told to do the 5 rescue breaths!!

angeldelight
12-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Yes Paediatric...we were told not to worry about it because it was being phased out soon

Although I know the advert is not aimed at us I thought it was done so no one uses it any longer - the kiss of life bit

Angel xx

watgem
12-01-2012, 01:09 PM
yes love the advert, I think its to the point and easy to remember. am halfway through my first aid and the tutor said its still best to do rescue breaths if possible, now back up to 5 to start with, 3 years ago we were told to just start with 2, but that sometimes its best just to do compressions. we all felt that we wouldn't hesitate to do RB's on a child, but on some adults we might have reservations, but as the tutor said at least compressions on an adult is better than nothing as they have more oxygen then children do circulating round their bodies

louise
12-01-2012, 02:30 PM
How interesting that we have been told different things on our courses. I redone my first aid in Dec and we we're told that they were going to be focusing on the compressions on those not trainned and that is all 911 will direct someone to do soon. We we're also told to do it to Nellie the elephant sung twice. We we're also told 5 rescue breaths then 2 after.

onceinabluemoon
12-01-2012, 06:04 PM
How interesting that we have been told different things on our courses. I redone my first aid in Dec and we we're told that they were going to be focusing on the compressions on those not trainned and that is all 911 will direct someone to do soon. We we're also told to do it to Nellie the elephant sung twice. We we're also told 5 rescue breaths then 2 after.
On children or adults or both?

Just out of interest who did you do your course with?

afsha1810
12-01-2012, 06:34 PM
The ad is direct and to the point which is good but I completed my 1st Aid Course in November 2011 and was taught 5 rescue breaths, 30 chest compressions and then 2 breaths and continue cycle until paramedics have arrived. If they change it would this mean my certificate is void and would have to do it again, silly question I know but it has :confused:me

Afsha

Twinkle-Toes
12-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I did mine in April 2011 and my husband did his in September 2011 and we were both taught the 5.30.2 method.

5 rescue breathes, 30 compressions then 2 breathes then 30 compressions etc

Plus we were told to do it ALOT faster than the beat on that ad!! I had a heart operation a few years ago and so have a weak rib cage/upper body and I was really concerned that I wouldn't be able to do then hard enough for long enough, I did but I was shattered by the end!! He made me do them for 8 mins as thats the average ambulance call out time, seemed harsh at the time but I had a great feeling of satisfaction that I COULD do it if I had to :thumbsup:

mandy moo
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Prehaps I need to do it again then, I did mine last march so 10 months out of date and it appears to have changed.

I must be thick then, so just what do you do if theyre not breathing then?

Bob
12-01-2012, 07:19 PM
The ad is direct and to the point which is good but I completed my 1st Aid Course in November 2011 and was taught 5 rescue breaths, 30 chest compressions and then 2 breaths and continue cycle until paramedics have arrived. If they change it would this mean my certificate is void and would have to do it again, silly question I know but it has :confused:me

Afsha

I did mine in December 2011 and we were also told - 5 rescue breaths - 30 compressions - 2 breaths etc. I have a face shield on my keyring which is basically a sheet of plastic with a little valve in the middle. It makes the thought of doing the breaths on an adult a little bit more palatable.

Pipsqueak
12-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Afsha

It does not mean your certificate is void nor is your training moot.
You carry out first aid the way you have been taught, it will be refreshed when you next go on a course.

The advert is aimed at people NOT trained in FA - your FA training still stands whether its 2 rescue breathes or 5 or just chest compressions... you carry out CPR as you have been taught until you are taught a different way

blue bear
12-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I did mine in June 2011, was told adult 30 compresions, 2 breathes. Children need rescue breathes, so 5, 30-2, unless adult is drowned then you would do rescue breathes then. Wonder why courses are so different. It does say on adverts web site the compressions only idea is for those not familiar with CPR

Pipsqueak
12-01-2012, 07:50 PM
For those of you who are confused or worried I have emailed St Johns with our queries - I will let you know of any response:thumbsup:

angeldelight
12-01-2012, 07:55 PM
For those of you who are confused or worried I have emailed St Johns with our queries - I will let you know of any response:thumbsup:

Good idea Pip I was thinking of doing the same :clapping:

Angel xx

onceinabluemoon
12-01-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm a Patient transfer attendant with St John Ambulance.

SJA teach 30 compressions - 2 breaths cycle to be repeated until help comes UNLESS the casualty has drowned when it is 5 breaths, 30 compressions, 2 breaths then continue in cycle of 30c, 2 b, 30c, 2 b 30c etc. Compressions should be at a rate of 120 a minute which is 2 per second.

Children are 5 breaths-30 compressions-2 breaths continuing with 30c, 2B 30c 2b until help comes. Compressions should be done with only one hand.

Infants as children but 2 fingers should be used.

Hope that helps x

afsha1810
12-01-2012, 09:16 PM
It does not mean your certificate is void nor is your training moot.
You carry out first aid the way you have been taught, it will be refreshed when you next go on a course.

The advert is aimed at people NOT trained in FA - your FA training still stands whether its 2 rescue breathes or 5 or just chest compressions... you carry out CPR as you have been taught until you are taught a different way

Thank you :)

PixiePetal
12-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm a Patient transfer attendant with St John Ambulance.

SJA teach 30 compressions - 2 breaths cycle to be repeated until help comes UNLESS the casualty has drowned when it is 5 breaths, 30 compressions, 2 breaths then continue in cycle of 30c, 2 b, 30c, 2 b 30c etc. Compressions should be at a rate of 120 a minute which is 2 per second.

Children are 5 breaths-30 compressions-2 breaths continuing with 30c, 2B 30c 2b until help comes. Compressions should be done with only one hand.

Infants as children but 2 fingers should be used.

Hope that helps x

this is what we were taught - last year, not SJA

Shivvie
12-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I have just got home after having been on evening 2 of my first aid course and we were told that for a child/baby we do 5 rescue breaths then 30 compressions then 2 breaths. Repeating the 30 compressions then 2 breaths.

For an adult, to go straight into 30 compressions then 2 breaths.

The tutor did say however that rescue breaths on an adult certainly aren't going to do any harm and that, in his opinion, breaths during the cycle, i.e. 30:2 are necessary or else eventually we would just be circulating de-oxygenated blood around the body, which would be pointless. :thumbsup: