PDA

View Full Version : parent due to go on maternity leave

millymay
11-01-2012, 09:50 PM
hi everyone,
I have a parent who recently anounced that she is to have a baby in July. Looking for advice on how to keep siblings place open, i.e. retainer? Or should I advertise space in case she doesn't return to work. Can I charge retainer for 9-12 months? Has anyone else been in this situation? Thanks :)

cupcake22
11-01-2012, 10:21 PM
I will only keep the space open if they pay for it. I cant afford to have 1 less child. If they are happy to pay then fine but if not I would fill the space & they take their chance if they decide to return to work.

Cupcake22

kellib
11-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I have this dilemma too, parent due to have baby in July and (I think) wants to keep space open for LO.

I'm gonna have to have a chat to her about it all soon!!

The Juggler
12-01-2012, 11:04 AM
my mum currently on leave has dropped from 4 days to 3 to keep the space, that was the most I could afford to drop for her.

Mouse
12-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I've had a few mums go on maternity leave recently, all wanting to keep the space open for the existing child and the baby.

With the first one, lo had been coming to me 2 days per week. I offered to drop it to one day to keep their space open. Mum decided she couldn't afford it, so took her chances that I'd have the spaces when she was ready to go back to work...I didn't and she had to go elsewhere.

With the second one, lo had again been coming 2 days a week and parents have just kept bringing him for the 2 days.

With the third one, who had been coming 3 days a week, I offered shorter days. Lo was still here 3 days, but shorter hours. As it turned out, mum's work situation changed while she was on maternity leave and lo ended up leaving anyway. We did it on the usual 4 weeks notice and I was fortunate to fill the space the day after mum gave notice!

In neither of the final 2 cases did I reserve a space for the babies. I went with the assumption that I would get a variation for them (no reason to think I wouldn't get it).

I would suggest you think about what is the minimum hours/days you would accept to keep the space open. Then speak to parents and find out what their plans are. She might not even be plannning to go back to work. If she is planing to go back to work, I think the best thing is to keep the children coming for at least some of the time. I know my parents were glad they did as it gave them time just with the new baby. Explain to your mum that if the child leaves there is no guarantee a space will be available when they want to return to work.

maisiemog
12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
The one mum I had who went on maternity leave carried on sending their child whilst on maternity leave. She goes back to work in 2 weeks time and new baby is coming to me. I am very lucky that I can afford to not be full so I deliberately didnt advertise a space I had open up in September and havent charged a retainer for it. She's reliable, a good payer and if the new baby is as good as the older sister then I am going to love minding him!! However if I couldnt afford to keep the space open then I would tell them either pay the retainer or risk losing the space!

QualityCare
12-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I have two mums on maternity leave, both work at the same school and first children come to me term time only (retainer paid for holidays from both) and are returning at the same time in July, mum 1 left July last year her child has been with me since she was a baby and was going into reception class in sept so was losing her anyway, baby was born Aug no retainer is paid but mum wants me to have the baby and l still have a vacancy at the moment, as another child is starting nursery in Sept l will still have a vacancy even if l take a new child now, mum 2 left in October baby was born Monday she is paying 1/2 fee retainer and l have 3yr old 1 morning a week, mum only works mornings, in sept child 1 will go to nursery in mornings and will be replaced by baby. Both are going back for 1 week in July before summer holidays so that they get their full wages for the summer. Only problem with retainer (or perhaps not as l will have some holiday cash saved) is that l have to save it in case l have to give it back if for any reason l stop minding.

miffy
12-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I would suggest you think about what is the minimum hours/days you would accept to keep the space open. Then speak to parents and find out what their plans are. She might not even be plannning to go back to work. If she is planing to go back to work, I think the best thing is to keep the children coming for at least some of the time. I know my parents were glad they did as it gave them time just with the new baby. Explain to your mum that if the child leaves there is no guarantee a space will be available when they want to return to work.

I think this is very good advice. But be aware that whatever parents say they may not stick to - I have just had one set of parents say that they were keeping the older child with me whilst on mat leave and that both children would return later in the year. They knew I had had other enquiries all of which I turned down. This week they have given notice for one day a week on the older child who won't be coming back to me after mat leave but they would like a space for the new baby (not known yet when mum returning to work) and think keeping the older child with me one day a week will allow them to "swap" the children's places when mum goes back to work.:rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Mollymop
12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
I might be having this issue too one of my parents is due to have her baby in July and I have no idea what to charge! I think I will charge for one child to keep space open for them both. Will have to wait and see how I feel nearer the time!