PDA

View Full Version : My mindees emigrated today. Feel so sad.

juslh
11-01-2012, 08:03 PM
:( I had them today for the last time while the parents finished off packing up their old house. Me and mum both blubbed saying goodbye, we have been really close, I almost feel like I've been a mum to her over to her last year, as well as looking after her children. And saying goodbye to the toddler in particular - I have had him since he was a small baby and I adore him. How do you childmind and not get too attached? I don't like this.

Goatgirl
11-01-2012, 08:18 PM
oh bless you, sorry you're having a hard time with their leaving.

It'll get easier though and Mum can always stay in touch and send you photos etc? :) Just think of the new lovely life they're going to have :thumbsup:
Its just that kind of job I think: you can't help but get attatched.

hope you feel better soon :)

Splodge
11-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't think you can. I would rather get too attached and miss them when they go than have a bad relationship and be glad to see the back of them.

A family i was very close to emigrated to australia in August and i was so sad to see them go. I had, had both boys since they were little, so it was very difficult to say goodbye.

The family have kept in touch via facebook, email and letter and all the children i look after, with parental permission of course, also keep in touch regularly by emailing,writing letters and posting them and viewing all the wonderfull photos they keep putting on.

We have also started a permanent project on Australia, which the family help with by finding things we didn't know, we didn't know about Australia, which all the children really enjoy.

RachelE
11-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Oh, I really feel for you.

I am really attached to a few of my children at the moment - its so natural - you have them for so many hours.

I had a LO today - she's 5 in June. Her Mum has just graduated as a nurse. She's a fantastic single Mum and was 17 when she had her. I've had her for 3 years and she's been a joy. I've not really had her since Nov as Mums course was winding down. LO told me that Mum said that I am her 2nd Mummy - and that made me cry! I love her to bits. I couldnt imagine at all of she left.

I guess, the big blessing is the memories - and the fact that, with modern technology (do I sound old?!) - we can keep in touch with families - through email, facebook and skype.

I hope that you can keep in touch - and be proud of a great job you did!

Rachel x

miffy
11-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Gosh, that's really hard. I hope you can keep in touch. Any chance you can go and visit for a holiday?

Miffy xx

Erika
11-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Don't worry when you grow an attachment to the children in your care. Worry when you don't!

It's very sad when you have to say goodbye to someone you have cared for and to the parents if you have had a good working relationship with them.

Think of the good relationship as a testament to your being a wonderful caregiver!

mama2three
12-01-2012, 07:24 AM
i can empathise too , a close friend emigrates to Canada this week , we have known each other since we in hospital together having my ds and her dd , and Ive minded all her children too at times. It does leave a big hole for us but how exciting for them!

lma
12-01-2012, 02:56 PM
I sympathis. One of my families who ive had for 4 years and minded 3 children for emigrated recently. I still keep in touch with facebook and received the lovliest card from them written by all the children with a photo of all the children and it brought me to tears.