PDA

View Full Version : 1st Mindee - ever so slight problem.....

littlewonders
21-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Good Morning all...

I started with new mindee on Monday and so far everything is going well, I have him before school and after school from 6:30 in the morning until 9:30 at night - although times change on different days mum is a nurse.

Anyway everything has been going ok, but, how can I say this nicely, he picks his nose and eats it - ALOT! And it's not only that he plays with it to - by licking it etc :eek:

It's making me heave and I was nearly sick in front of children last night!

What is the best way to approach this? I don't want to humiliate (sp?) him but I am scared to look at him incase he is doing it :( Mum must know he does it...am I over-reacting?

Monkey1
21-05-2008, 05:02 AM
How old is he Sammie? If he is old enough to understand i would just take him to one side and just explain that it's not the thing to do , or perhaps tell him that he might make his nose bleed if he keeps poking it! Sorry that's not helping much is it! I have a three year old that puts EVERYTHING in her mouth, i'm constantly going round after her with the dettox!
If its making you want to be sick i would have a word with the mum and just explain that it's something you don't want all the kids picking up!:laughing:

miffy
21-05-2008, 06:03 AM
I agree with Monkey

It's a horrible habit and can be difficult to stop

Good luck

miffy xx

sarah707
21-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Poor you! I know how you feel - it's one of those really yukky ones!

You need to find out how / if family are dealing with it and follow them - it's not our place to tackle it really however it makes us feel ...

What you could do though is, every time he sticks his fingers up his nose, send him to wash his hands... he might get bored by the whole palava and stop... or else if he's a bit OCD he'll spend the day washing his hands instead :laughing:

SimplyLucy
21-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Oh no, what a nightmare.

I agree with Sarah, just keep sending him to wash his hands, I'm sure he'll get bored, plus it will act as a distraction.

Another thing I say to mindees when they are doing sometihng I don't like is "oh, we don't do that in this house"...........seems to work wonders here!

Good luck.

Not sure I want my breakfast now!

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Yuk think I would also be sick

I presume he is old enough to understand if you have him after school ?

I would have a word with him and be direct - its not nice and its not acceptable

Then I would give him a huge pile of tissues and shout NOW USE THESE haha

Hope you sort it out

Angel xx

miffy
21-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Then I would give him a huge pile of tissues and shout NOW USE THESE haha

Angel xx
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy xx

crazybones
21-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Ew yuk - thats worse than one of my mindees who keeps fiddling with his man parts. :panic:

Tatia
21-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Oh I wish you had put a warning in the title! It's one issue that really makes me heave. No way on earth could I look after a child who did that, I'd be throwing up constantly.

Okay, this is ridiculous, I'm so sorry. Was gonna try and post advice but I'm dry heaving at the moment so just gonna go away and pretend I never saw this!:blush:

littlewonders
21-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Tatia that is me!! I was heaving posting it!!

They're great suggestions thank you everyone. I was going to just try and ignore it but he something yesterday with it that I just couldn't ignore (*TATIA - DO NOT READ THIS BIT* involves big bit of....mucus and teeth = stretching bleurgh) SHUP UP SAM!!

He is 4 going on 5.. I feel really guilty at the thought of telling him but I don't want to be sick infront of them as I have a phobia and get quite upset :blush:
Also my 2 have never done it and ds is 3 so at the copy everything age and he is always giving me kisses so I do not want him copying otherwise I could never kiss him again lol.

Thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 07:33 AM
To much information Sammie yuk

Throw the tissues at him and lock him in the loo all day haha

Angel xx

littlewonders
21-05-2008, 07:46 AM
To much information Sammie yuk

Throw the tissues at him and lock him in the loo all day haha

Angel xx

I know, I am sorry Angel but I did have to sit through it and I can't get the image out of my head, I thought off loading to all you lovely people would help....and it has :littleangel: :thumbsup: :D

Spangles
21-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Oh yuch!

I could not cope with that! I would be sick!

One of mine dribbles a lot, especially when concentrating as forgets to shut his mouth and it just pours out - it's gross! I'm nearly sick then! I have to keep making mental notes of where I need to anti-bac when he's gone and have to remind him to close the mouth!

I've got nothing to add except my sympathy!

miffy
21-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Oh Lorri I have one that dribbles too - I loathe it. I'm always following him round mopping up - yuk.

He is the first that I've had that does this so much - his clothes will be soaking. He's nearly 2 now and it's still bad

miffy xx

Tatia
21-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Okay, I've bene brave and come back to this thread. I have to be totally honest, I'd just tell him to knock it off every time I caught him at it. I would not in any way be worried about his stunted emotional development because I told him off for eating boogers!!! He'll get far worse abuse from kids at school once they see him doing it.

Okay, that's it, back to heaving. Ya know, we are a dedicated lot, willing to help out in any situation!

bubbly
21-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Ask him if tastes nice or if he'd like a bit of ketchup with his bogey :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry, I'm not being helpful am I?

karenjoy
21-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Oh god might just cancel the whole registration process :laughing:

Alibali
21-05-2008, 12:22 PM
My little mindee, aged 22 months did this yesterday, picked a lovely green bogy from his nose, looked at it and said 'snack'!!:)

Oh I love this job:laughing:

Ali x

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 12:30 PM
My little mindee, aged 22 months did this yesterday, picked a lovely green bogy from his nose, looked at it and said 'snack'!!:)

Oh I love this job:laughing:

Ali x

Feed that child :laughing: :laughing:

manjay
21-05-2008, 12:31 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: OMG this post has made me giggle! Sorry I know it wasn't supposed to be funny. I have a 4 year old who likes to do this (not so much eating but picking) I made him wash his hands every time and always point out my poster that shows hands should be washed after touching noses. He very rarely does it any more:thumbsup:

amanda xx

RedDragon
21-05-2008, 12:33 PM
LOL LOL This thread has made me laugh.

Husband looked through the window at the neighbour yesterday and saw him (grown man) picking and eating -ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!:eek:

I had a similar situation where a child was breaking wind constantly - so much so I had to open windows and it was FREEZING outside. His mum didn't like the fact that I asked him politely and discretely to do it somewhere more appropriate and finished the contract. She asked me how I knew it was him - I couldn't very well say "I know what all my minded kids pumps smell of" lol, but it's true! I can usually tell if they eat organic food too as they are lethal!

Hope I haven'tstepped over the mark :blush:

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 12:37 PM
LOL LOL This thread has made me laugh.

Husband looked through the window at the neighbour yesterday and saw him (grown man) picking and eating -ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!:eek:

I had a similar situation where a child was breaking wind constantly - so much so I had to open windows and it was FREEZING outside. His mum didn't like the fact that I asked him politely and discretely to do it somewhere more appropriate and finished the contract. She asked me how I knew it was him - I couldn't very well say "I know what all my minded kids pumps smell of" lol, but it's true! I can usually tell if they eat organic food too as they are lethal!

Hope I haven'tstepped over the mark :blush:

PMSL - sorry but living in a household full of males who all take great pleasure in breaking wind (sad form of entertainment) and relishing the whiff I can totally sympathise. This one is making me cry with laughter and I sorry its really not funny.

My eldest is a nose picker, I have tried everything including telling him his nostrils are getting pretty big. One of these days I am going to ram his bleeding finger up there!!! Thankfully he doesn't and never has eaten it - that turns my stomach. Ask them if they would eat the contents of a tissue after they have blown their noses into it. Grosss

Tatia
21-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Some really professional advice here!:ROFL1:

Oh gawd, I'm cracking up. *wipes tear from eye* Random moments thorughout the day, I have thought of this thread and heaved a bit. Maybe you should have posted it in the Fatties area to help us all with our diets!:cool:

Spangles
21-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I've got a children's book on this I think, just remembered, let me check!

Spangles
21-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Here we go

'Don't do That' by Tony Ross.

It's about a little girl picking her nose and then her finger gets stuck there.

"Nellie had a pretty nose. It was so pretty that she was given a part in the Christmas play. But then, disaster strikes and Nellie learns why you should never do that!

In the tradition of his much loved bestseller I Want my Potty, Tony Ross has created a hiliarious, new story with universal appeal that will amuse and delight children and parents alike.

Is that any help?

littlewonders
21-05-2008, 04:02 PM
LMAO :laughing: :laughing:

Some fab replies, really made me chuckle!

I next have him tomorrow, so if I catch him at it, I shall ask if he would like some ketchup and I can see his brains his nostrals are that big :D :D

I will keep you up to date with the ......'Green News'!!

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 04:14 PM
LMAO :laughing: :laughing:

Some fab replies, really made me chuckle!

I next have him tomorrow, so if I catch him at it, I shall ask if he would like some ketchup and I can see his brains his nostrals are that big :D :D

I will keep you up to date with the ......'Green News'!!

Now I have got a pretty strong stomach but just reading that while eating pea and ham soup is not recommended (as I am doing right now):laughing:

Cazz
21-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Now I have got a pretty strong stomach but just reading that while eating pea and ham soup is not recommended (as I am doing right now):laughing:

Sorry Pipsqueak but the thought of Pea and Ham Soup turns my stomach as well :(

Carole x