PDA

View Full Version : chickenpox help please

mama&baba
10-01-2012, 05:39 PM
My own son age 2 has come out in some spots this afternoon, when he has his bath later I will do a proper full body check.
Am I still able to open? I usually give patents the choice and if they choose not to send child then full fee still applies. I know my child would have been infectious before these spots appeared so others would have already been exposed to it.
I've looked at previous threads but can't quite find the answer.
Thank you :)

sarah707
10-01-2012, 05:58 PM
I always give parents the choice - when mine had CP some came and some didn't.

I hope he doesn't suffer too much xx

Trpta108
16-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I was thinking I would do the same (my son has been in contact with someone who has it, so am expecting it). But what would you then do if one of the mindees then catches it. Would you exclude, charging full fees? I am not sure if I think that would be fair. What would you do?

Pipsqueak
16-02-2012, 06:54 PM
What you need to remember is that the HPA guidelines are there to prevent the spread of infection particuarly to the vulnerable. People like my mum for instance and those who are pregnant and those who have immune system conditions.
CP can be quite nasty for some people.
Thing is.... IF you provide care during which for an illness which is exclusionary (when its your own child) then the parents have great leverage then for you HAVING to provide care or at least the expectation that they should be giving you a choice in return iyswim.

miffy
16-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I would talk to your parents and see how they feel - when my children had chicken pox I was looking after twins and their mum wanted them to catch it so they continued to come (and they caught it), but it was easy as I only had them to consider and it was during the summer holidays so we spent 6 weeks in isolation.

I don't know how it would be if some parents were in favour and others weren't. Pip also made a very valid point for you to think about

Miffy xx

Trpta108
16-02-2012, 09:25 PM
What you need to remember is that the HPA guidelines are there to prevent the spread of infection particuarly to the vulnerable. People like my mum for instance and those who are pregnant and those who have immune system conditions.
CP can be quite nasty for some people.
Thing is.... IF you provide care during which for an illness which is exclusionary (when its your own child) then the parents have great leverage then for you HAVING to provide care or at least the expectation that they should be giving you a choice in return iyswim.

So are you saying we should not provide care if our own is ill?
If I did provide care for one child and they caught it, but another child's parent didn't want it what would you do?(I hope that sentence even makes sense:o)

lulubelle
17-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I recently worked through both of mine having it (i would of been closed 6 weeks otherwise!) All but 2 of my mindees had previously had it. The 2that hadn't did catch it and I had them on the condition they didn't have very high temps/weren't really poorly with it etc

FussyElmo
17-02-2012, 07:57 AM
The way I see it as Pip says if you remain open while your son as it then you will not be in a position to refuse care to a mindee who has it. If I had a mixed response from parents then I would not charge the parents who didnt want their child around it after all I should be closed.

Chicken pox can lead to the children feeling really poorly - my poor ds ended up with a right bad bacterial eye infection with it and it really knocked him about :)

charleyfarley
17-02-2012, 08:19 AM
When my ds caught CP I did stay open but only because a mindee had it at the same time. Neither were poorly with it so I carried on as normal although one parent chose not to send her lo as she was pregnant. I didn't charge her anything while he didn't attend, didn't think it was fair. Two weeks later the mindee who didn't attend came down with it anyway along with my dd and hubby.

So I would talk to all your parents and see what they think :thumbsup:

Carol xx

Pipsqueak
17-02-2012, 08:25 AM
So are you saying we should not provide care if our own is ill?
If I did provide care for one child and they caught it, but another child's parent didn't want it what would you do?(I hope that sentence even makes sense:o)

What i am saying is that you need to think through VERY carefully about what you are offering.
when one of yours is ill and its something that you may exclude (a mindee for) for then if you are offering care or even offering parents the choice of whether to send their child... then you won't really have a leg to stand on when the parents consider you a nurse and not a minder elsewhere down the line.

Again i come back to CP can be really awful for some children, it can also be really bad for other people like I have mentioned.

I 'get' that people want their kids to get CP because its actually not considered that bad a disease and they all mix their kids. However what is going to happen if your little one is really quite poorly with it or even if a mindee is......