PDA

View Full Version : Do you ask parents when their child will be finishing?

Tippy Toes
10-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Hello :)

I have two little ones who will be starting school this year. One is Sept and the other one either after easter or in Sept.

Parents haven't mentioned to me when children will be finishing and I was wondering would you ask or does this seem like you want them to leave? :blush:

I love these two little mindees to bits and have had the one since only 4 months old the other since 1o months so I honestly don't want them to go! I am gutted they are leaving this year.:(

But I have also had my business head on, well I'm trying! And have been thinking It would be a good idea if I knew when they will be leaving as I can then advertise the space or invite parents to visit if they need a space when said child is leaving. ( I hope that bit made sense!)

So what do you do? Or what would you do?

Thanks all :)

Lol
10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi :)
I would just say to the parents that you know its a bit early in the year but that you need to plan ahead for numbers of children etc and will they need you in September once the children start school.

Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

HTH :)

jelly15
10-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I will be watching this tread with interest as I have one mindee who is coming up to school age and I assume she will be starting scholl after the Easter hols. I have had enquires but I have no specific date. When I asked mum she was not very forthcoming just said sometime after easter not sure. The problem is they don't have to give me a date until one months notice.

EmmaReed84
10-01-2012, 02:45 PM
When are your contracts up for review? You could use that as a reason to discuss a leaving date.

uf353432
10-01-2012, 02:46 PM
yep I agree - where our spaces are limited we need to plan ahead. I have a waiting list so when I know that children will be transitioning I check ahead of time with parents on how it will change the minded hours.

Mouse
10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I do ask. I say "you know I don't ever want X to leave, but I know they have to at some point. I'm just wondering if you've had chance to think about what will happen when they start school".

By making it light hearted, I've never had any one take offence by it. And if they haven't given it any thought, it often prompts them into deciding what they're going to do.

sarahjane
10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I would ask too, I'm sure they won't mind as they have known you so long.

At the other extreme I had a parent tell me the other day that her daughter would be finishing with me before and after school in July 2013!!!!! when she starts boarding school (age 8 :() I have looked after this little girl for 6 years now and her brother before that

PixiePetal
10-01-2012, 03:01 PM
I do ask. I say "you know I don't ever want X to leave, but I know they have to at some point. I'm just wondering if you've had chance to think about what will happen when they start school".

By making it light hearted, I've never had any one take offence by it. And if they haven't given it any thought, it often prompts them into deciding what they're going to do.

same here - I only ask for a months notice but usually children have been with me for years, parents and I have a good relationship and for both sides and the child it is good to talk it through. After all it is nothing nasty just a natural progression.

Then when they leave I boo my eyes out:blush::o

mushpea
10-01-2012, 03:22 PM
i have the same thing, a child will be going to school september but not a school i go to so I proably wont say anything unless I have an enquiry for nearer the time so if somone wanted to start august then I would ask parent what they were thinking but this parent dosent work so it wouldnt be a problem for her to finish a month early anyway.

Tealady
10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I would ask because if you do wrap around care for school you will also need know for that.

As the previous poster said it's just natural progression. You can be understanding as they might not know yet if they are going to send their child or defer for a bit but it's good to put your question out there.

Tippy Toes
10-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks for your replies, you have made me feel much better about asking the parents :)

Monkey26
10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Great advice so far but just a little thought... think about whether the schools are doing staggered intake - one of my mindees didn't go into school full time until the first week in October due to this!!! So i couldn't give up her place until then :rolleyes: xx

Chimps Childminding
10-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Great advice so far but just a little thought... think about whether the schools are doing staggered intake - one of my mindees didn't go into school full time until the first week in October due to this!!! So i couldn't give up her place until then :rolleyes: xx

Same here! Out school does half days for the first few weeks, so couldn't offer the space until mindee had started full time!!

miffy
10-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I would ask too or you could see a big chunk of your work disappearing in one go. I'm sure parents will understand why you are asking.

Miffy xx

blue bear
11-01-2012, 03:57 AM
I always askabout now to check they have applied in time, then when thechoices are confirmed I ring the a school and check their intake policy, then I go back to parents and check they understand it so we are all clear on finish dates. Parents are usually grateful for my support.

boxtree7
11-01-2012, 07:22 AM
I have asked my parents this week to start thinking about what there plans are for September if they need childcare, amend hours etc.