PDA

View Full Version : Fire extinguishers?

Lol
10-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Just got a query for all you lovely childminders.....

A childminder friend has been told that as part of her house insurance agreement she has to have a FULL SIZE fire extinguisher in her home!
She has been in contact with the insurance company about this issue on a number of occasions (she has had fire assessments done on her home, has attended fire safety training and has a fire risk assessment and plan in place) and they just won't budge (she even offered to buy a small fire extinguisher but they said that this would not do).

They even had the audacity to tell her that she had a "duty of care" to the children she cares for to protect them from fire!! In reply she told the company that she believed that it was her "duty" in the event of a fire, to get the children out of the house as soon as possible and not try and tackle the fire herself!!

Has anyone else had this problem - we would love to hear from you if you have! :)

Helen79
10-01-2012, 03:56 PM
When I had the fire safety check they told me that I didn't need a fire extinguisher as they would never advise anyone who isn't trained to use one. The priority is to get out of the house. Do the insurance company honestly expect your friend to try to put the fire out with lo's unsupervised outside next to a house that's on fire by themselves :panic:
Can she change insurance companies?

rickysmiths
10-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Never had this mentioned. It sounds as if the insurance company, or the person she has spoken to have either misunderstood her when she told them she was a childminder or just don't know what a childminder is.

I also agree you should be properly trained to use a full size extinguisher and I have and i wouldn't have one in my home or attempt to use one with mindees to get out. Preserving life must always be the first priority and things second.

I would look at changing insurers.

I have been with Churchill for years.

Lol
10-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks for your replies - the insurance company she is with is recommended by NCMA!!! I have never had a problem getting house insurance but my friend has had real problems!!

She has tried explaining to them that on fire training courses we have been advised to just get out and we shouldn't be tackling fires ourselves but they just won't budge.......can you imagine having to have a full size fire extinguisher in your hall and having to pay to have it checked on an annual basis????!!! Ridiculous!!:angry:

sarah707
10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I think the NCMA need to review their recommendations :(

How silly :(