PDA

View Full Version : Help - 14 month old hitting others!

FizzWizz
10-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi,
I've not really come across this before so just after some advice!

I have a 14 month old mindee who has just started walking and is quite large for his age. He keeps going up to others and hitting them on the head. Last week I went up to him and told him to be gentle and, without prompting, he would soothe their hair so I think he is aware that he shouldn't have hit but this week he is doing it more and more.

He is obviously still quite young and I don't think it's malicious. Mum is so gentle and i think might be offended if I tell her he is hitting!!

What do you do in this situation? (all my others have been so placid!!)

Thanks

EmmaReed84
10-01-2012, 02:23 PM
I have a little mindee who started walking by 1 and running by 13/14 months, very fast learner. She started hitting all the time snatching and running off.

I didnt want to "tell her off" as such because she was just learning and testing bounderies etc. Although I did tell her no. I look after her brother and I have my son and she has seen "time outs" so is aware of them. One day I actually gave her a little one minute time out and used the words time out... She sat there!!!:eek::clapping: I had to do it a few more times over the course of a week and now she is alot better... She still occasionally hits but no where hear as much now

Tippy Toes
10-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I would do as you are and tell him no he must be nice/gentle. I would also use 'time out' if it was happening often.

I would mention it to mum if it continues as if you have to say something later down the line (getting worse/more often) she might wonder why its happening all of a sudden or why you didn't tell her sooner.

Little one could possibly be doing it when out with mum so she may be aware of it already.

I had a little one ( 2 years ) who used to push the other little ones over, mentioned to mum who told me that the little one played with older siblings who were a bit rough!

Pipsqueak
10-01-2012, 02:37 PM
I'd be chatting to parents about it, making some notes and seeing if there are any specific children, triggers, times of day, specific toys that are involved.

I would continue to discipline him as you are - tell him no hitting be gentle - and i would be ready to intervene, meaning constant supervision for this little one... providing a distraction or diversion if you feel he is about to practise his Rocky skills.