PDA

View Full Version : My mindee got away from me and ran into the road . Can't believe I was so careless.

juslh
10-01-2012, 01:52 PM
He is absolutely fine, nothing coming thank god, but how could I have let that happen? I bent to straighten the footmuff before putting him in, another child came and stood between me and toddler and suddenly toddler ran and I couldnt get past the 4 year old before toddler got to the road. But I realise there are no excuses, my fault. Is it the sort of thing I need to report to Ofsted?

mummyMia
10-01-2012, 02:10 PM
That must have been a terrible fright for you!

I have no idea if you have to report it or not but I don't think that I would as no harm came to the child. Maybe just write up an incident form?

I'm sure someone more in the know will be along soon. :)

uf353432
10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
This is one of those situations that if it happens you need to learn from. Write it up as an incident, put down what actions arrise from it and what you will change about your procedures to ensure it doesn't happen again. Look at road safety with the LO so he knows how dangerous it is to run into the road and make parents aware that he is not risk aware when it comes to the roads. You can get really fixated on the what could have happened - use that energy now to work out how you prevent a reoccurance. Deep breaths - keep calm and carry on.

mammumof4
10-01-2012, 02:25 PM
dont beat yourself up over it, its happened and you cant change that, what you can do is learn from from it :thumbsup:

came advice as previous posters, keep smiling and carry on :D

mrs robbie williams
10-01-2012, 02:29 PM
i know exactly how you feel hun - i had a mindee that used to leg it at every availble opportunity - used to frighten the life out of me :rolleyes: i sat down with the mum and explained how dangerous her behaviour had got and that i didnt have eyes in my backside and that we needed to both work with her so that she realises road danger and the danger of running off etc.
Mum worked with me and i also used reward stickers at my setting and she is now much better - it did take a while though im afraid. I didnt give her the opportunity to do it again after that - i would use a wrist strap or threaten to use one if she didnt hold my hand or hold onto the buggy when we were out and about :D Once we got to the park she could run all she liked :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
10-01-2012, 02:34 PM
You need to write it up as an incident and get parent to sign.
You should then demonstrate good practice and review your risk assessment

These things happen and thankfully on this occasion nothing untoward happened. You need to learn from this experience.
Glad everything /one is ok, try not to beat yourself up too much - I know easier said than done

ziggy
10-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I had a child who ran out of the shop, next door to our house, straight in to the road, i was holding his hand and he just got free and ran. Luckily no cars were about, it happened in a split second.

I told his mummy and after that kept him in buggy or on wrist strap. He is now 3years and 2months and still on wrist strap with his new minder ( i gave notice due to other issues)

I'm sure it was awful experience for you, i do sympathise

breezy
10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Good advice given already, dont beat yourself up about it :group hug:

stardust
10-01-2012, 10:28 PM
If it helps last week my new mindee on her second day unclipped her seat belt and fell out (the seat not the car) These things happen and as long as you document it and say what you are going to do to ensure this doesnt happen again. I was in a state worrieing about telling mum and mum said it could have happened with her or nan so as long as i make sure she cant do it again. then there is no harm done. I agree a lovely parent and i did give her a copy of my complaints policy to complain if she wanted to as i was full aware of how bad this could have been had i been driving ect.

Deep breaths there is not a lot you can do instead of 'what if', concentrate on what you can do to make it a 'never again' xx

Erika
11-01-2012, 08:50 PM
how could I have let that happen?

The answer is very simple. By being a human. Things like these happen to most parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and care givers - pretty much anyone who has ever cared for children long term will have experienced some heart stopping moment that they will look back on with dread.

Kids run into roads, pull kettles onto themselves, run off in shopping centres and will push small parts of toys up their noses.

Do not beat yourself up over it, it could happen to anyone. Use it as an experience to think what you could do to minimise the risk of it happening again, but don't keep looking back and giving yourself a hard time over it.