PDA

View Full Version : I would love to start childminding but I am obese

jellyjem
10-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Hello - I'm new to this formum. I have just received my childminding pack from our local council, I'm excited and want to start as soon as possible. However, I am worried my weight will be an issue as the letter which was enclosed with the pack mentions that I will need to pass a medical with my GP.

I have not been diagnosed with anything and am healthy but I am very overweight (5ft 6 and a size 20). My weight have never caused any problems although I suppose I do get a bit out of breath sometimes when I'm chasing after my daughter in the park (she's 3 and fast !) most of the time I don't think about my weight and it doesn't bother me but I'm really worried now that I won't be able to childmind. Can anyone put my mind at rest.

xx

mrs robbie williams
10-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi and Welcome to this wonderful forum :D:D I can't see why you being overweight would affect you becoming a childminder, you have no medical conditions have you? thats all the gp will go on, i didnt even see my gp - just got charged £70 for him to write a letter based on my notes!! im sure it will all be fine hun. Im overweight, i think alot of us are :laughing: although i have lost weight since childminding - all that running around and never having time to sit down for more than 5 minutes helps :thumbsup: wishing you all the best and hope you enjoy the forum xx

breezy
10-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum, if you're healthy I dont see why you couldn't childmind, we come in all shapes and sizes :)

sarahjane
10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
If it sets your mind at rest I'm 5'4" and am a size 18-20 (depending on the fit of the clothes) so no, it shouldn't affect your application at all ;)

Tippy Toes
10-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Hello. My doctor went through my notes and just sent off a very brief letter stating I was fit to child mind.

I cannot see how being overweight would affect anyone becoming a childminder as long as there where no health issues.

I hope everything works out well for you :)

Penny1959
10-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Your weight should not be a barrier to registering - I am very over weight AND I have type 2 diabetes, underactive thyroid, extreme restless leg (and a few other less serious things) as you can see from my info I was regeistered in 2010 - and at a age of 51

So go ahead apply

Penny :)

Tam's Tribe
10-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi Huni, I understand exactly what you mean and how you feel!!

I was a size 20 when I registered in 2009 (put on a tad more in the last 3 years) and it was NOT a barrier for me in registering.

You should like me, a FIT FAT person (no offence) . . . we go for walks, I never sit down, I am up and down on the floor to play with the kids, even been on the soft play area slide (MEGA fun :D) . . . and it hasnt negatively affected my care of the children.

GO FOR IT!!!!

Having said that, I am tired of being overweight and we are planning a Med Cruise in September and I am hoping to lose 5 stone this year!! . . . I SO AM GONNA DO IT!!!

jellyjem
10-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Thank you :), I don't have any medical problems that I am aware of so thats really put my mind at rest. When I read the letter I was gutted as I thought I would have to loose all the weight first and I'm really keen to get started.

I currently work as a secretary (I'm skiving at the moment). I'm really fed up of being tied to my desk all day, I miss my daughter a lot when I'm at work and childcare is costing me most of my salary so I thought childminding could be a perfect solution. Really excited and loving this forum, I only discovered it last week and I think I have read through most of the posts already.

Looking forward to getting to know you all :thumbsup:

danielly124
10-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Go for it hun im over weight.
welcome to the forum xxxxx

mama2three
10-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I agree with the others , definately not a barrier to registration.
And as for the childminding itself , it will be fitness , not fatness , that matters.
good Luck x

pinky21
10-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Being overweight will not be a problem, i have just got my certificate :jump for joy: this morning and like you and millions of other people over weight and it was never a problem.
Good luck with it and i have forund this forum soooooooooo very helpful for everything i needed to know and more xx

jellyjem
10-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi, I posted a reply to you all but it seems to have got lost somewhere so I must have done something wrong.

Thanks for your lovely replies. Its good to know I'm not the only one, I felt my spirits plumit when I read the letter and thought my weight was going to stop me doing the childminding.

This site is brilliant and I can see its going to be a huge help, I look forward to getting to know you all. :clapping:

xxx

breezy
10-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Once you get addicted to this forum, you wont have time to childmind:laughing:

onceinabluemoon
10-01-2012, 05:01 PM
I was a size 18 when I registered. I think weight would only make a difference if it stopped you from being able to do your job properly. Welcome to the forum :)

Carol Raeburn
12-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Once you get addicted to this forum, you wont have time to childmind:laughing:

I agree once on thats it you get way laid :)

I am 5''8 and size 22-24 I am registered and have been a while... go for it :)

Welcome to the forum

betty boop
12-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi I dont think that being over weight will affect you becoming a childminder. The doctor just fills in a form about your past medical history and if your weight does not affect your health I cant see it being a problem go on go for it :thumbsup:

Blaze
12-01-2012, 10:33 PM
You are certainly not alone! As long as you are capable of looking after children & your weight doesn't affect this then it's not a problem. Plenty of us larger ladies are registered ...in fact there have been times when my bulk has helped - pushing a quad buggy with 4 v. heavy toddlers in it, up a v. steep hill springs to mind!!! Good luck with your future CMing career!:)

Twinkles
12-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Hey I'm as fat as butter but it just makes me even more cuddly ! :thumbsup:

angeldelight
13-01-2012, 08:16 AM

:laughing::laughing:

That made me laugh ha ha

There are more of us fat than thin I think :laughing:

Good luck I am sure everything will be fine

Angel xx

It's a small world
13-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Hi Welcome to the forum. :waving:

As others have said, as long as you are healthy with no medical conditions that would effect your work there's no reason why you can't do this job. I'm largish (size16) trying to lose weight for me though not necessarily the job.

Anyway at a local playgroup there are quite a few of us this size and bigger (one lady bigger than you- and she manages no problems and really nice too no one judges any of us because of our size:D) like everyone says we all come in different shapes and sizes and as long as we care for the children etc why can't you do this job.

Good luck with the registering. Remember if you ever have concerns/worries or just a chat or a laugh this forum is a fab place to come. :clapping:

It's a small world
13-01-2012, 08:30 AM

Just reading back and saw this :laughing::laughing: I like that:laughing:

Chimps Childminding
14-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm 5'7 and size 22/24 - don't know how heavy, too scared to stand on the scales :blush: I have been cm for 13 years now and although my knees give me jip (50 next week so I think its an age thing) I haven't had any health problems so far (touch wood)!!

As you can see there are lots of us who should be members of the Fatties Forum (and aren't :blush:) so go for it!!!

maisiemog
15-01-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm in the fatty ggroup as well, and had no problems with registering! Like you I am active and healthy so which is all Ofsted are worried about. I think they pay more attention to mental health problems than weight!!!

Afterall I think if weight was an issue almost every CM I know wouldnt have been allowed to register!!! Its almost compulsory to be fat and be a CM where I live!!!