PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted: nurseries to be marked down if children don't make friends

NicoleW
10-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Omg has anyone seen this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9002612/Ofsted-nurseries-to-be-marked-down-if-children-dont-make-friends.html

NicoleW
10-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Sorry this comment may offend but I'm going to say it anyway.

These children.. Do their parents do anything? Apparently other adults now need to teach them how to make friends and share?.

I can see the positive and negative, but there seems to be such a pressure on childminders to plan, obs, EYFS etc just like a preschool. We have to have all these safety measures in, safeguarding etc, risk assessments, yet on the other hand parents can just be parents and their child will still grow and develop averagely.

Bonkers to me.

mama2three
10-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Its just the telegraphs way of saying that under the new eyfs we should focus on the childs personal and social skills and communication skills. Exactly what childminders have been and will continue to excel at. Learning all of those early skills such as sharing and listening lead them into the ability to learn , explore and develop in every area - but they are also the fundamentals for making friends.

Pipsqueak
10-01-2012, 12:36 PM
There are SO many children now that are sorely lacking in PSed.
The phraseology of the headline is a bit misleading because as we all know children more often than not won't perform for not-nobody and will generally be little horrors in front of the very people you don't want them to be.

I think there needs to be more support for parents out there - more encouragement to understand your childs needs from birth - like talking to them, encouraging your child to talk (and not let them just point and nod or grunt at you), encouraging your child to participate, getting alon to groups and so on and so forth - things that were a natural thing to do once over when it was more common for mums to stay at home and interact with their child and the community. THAT is what is getting lost... the community interaction by whole generations.

PixiePetal
10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
The phraseology of the headline is a bit misleading because as we all know children more often than not won't perform for not-nobody and will generally be little horrors in front of the very people you don't want them to be.

I think there needs to be more support for parents out there - more encouragement to understand your childs needs from birth - like talking to them, encouraging your child to talk (and not let them just point and nod or grunt at you), encouraging your child to participate, getting alon to groups and so on and so forth - things that were a natural thing to do once over when it was more common for mums to stay at home and interact with their child and the community. THAT is what is getting lost... the community interaction by whole generations.

:thumbsup:

I hope the 'new' EYFS will allow me to concentrate my time on PSED - my mindees are all under 3 and I think this is so important at this age. Once they become social confident little people all the rest fits in

rickysmiths
10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Its going to be really interesting to see how things pan out. In my experience 2-3 year old play along side each other and don't make friends in the way they do when they are a lot older. They will get along and join in with what others are doing but to be honest if you took a 2-3 year out of one pre school and put them in another one somewhere else as long as they were made welcome, felt secure and were happy they would thrive. You can't force friendships.

I think it is good they are reducing the areas to be covered though of course we will all be doing all the things we do now and always have just the labels will change again.

I don't think it will change the inspections that much it will just be looking at things in a different way again and the reports will look different, but hey that happened when Ofsted first took over and again when EYFS first started and we all got used to it.

Toileting will be interesting. When my two went to Playgroup they didn't go until they were at least 2yrs 9mths and they had to be fully dry. I think that should be the case now as well. Obviously any children with special needs used to be catered for and still should be. Thing is it concentrated our minds and the majority of children were dry and without the silly pull ups that are used now. I think it would help a few parents now to get things sorted. Pre-schools should not have to Potty train.

No child unless they have a specific issue should have to go through the indignity of going into Reception still in nappies or pull ups. I was so shocked when I heard about that happening.

Ripeberry
10-01-2012, 12:59 PM

You've hit the nail on the head. Community/family involvement. Takes a whole village to raise a child and if the said child has no interaction with others who may disagree with him/her then of course there will be problems.
Sounds good that they are letting CMs be more pro-active and less bogged down with meeting 'targets' :thumbsup:

Playmate
10-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Its just the telegraphs way of saying that under the new eyfs we should focus on the childs personal and social skills and communication skills. Exactly what childminders have been and will continue to excel at. Learning all of those early skills such as sharing and listening lead them into the ability to learn , explore and develop in every area - but they are also the fundamentals for making friends.

I agree :D

EmmaReed84
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
I think concentrating on this is a good thing. I look after a mindee (almost 3) who is sooooo painfully shy and senstive, he cries at everything and everyone.

I take him to another CM to play with them children, I also take him to other places and he clings to DS(3) who is off and chatting away to anyone who looks in his general direction.

DS and mindee just started playschool, DS took to it like anything, didnt even bat an eye lid (the staff there fought over wanting to be his keyworker :D). Mindee however cries, cries and cries. I talk to them when they leave and DS will talk about all these different people and mindee says "I follow C"

Mindee has no confidence and is so indecure. There is only so much I can do with regards to him building friendships and learning to interact because we generally see small groups of the same people. At least at playschool it is a larger group and we can work together. Luckily I am friends with the playschool manager.

But I think PSED it far more important to young children then KUW sorry if that causes an uproar

rickysmiths
10-01-2012, 01:22 PM
I think this is one are where childminding shines over Day Nursery care as well. We do get the children out in the community and out to groups etc.

Interestingly i have just taken on a child who has been a nursery since they were 8 mths and is now 13mths and the mum has now realised, despite all the adverts and what she was told they actually have a very small outside play space and go out of the nursery once in a blue moon.

watgem
10-01-2012, 01:31 PM
I saw it in DM online, they are putting the angle on that children have to feel loved at their setting, and that Ofsted will be concentrating less on safeguarding paperwork etc and more on a child's emotional well being-which is good because unless children's emotional/physical well being is high, they will be unable to learn effectively. What I am wondering is how Ofsted will be assessing this, and not being funny but if you didn't love, care and respect children why would you ever go into the childcare profession in the first place-certainly it wouldn't be for money?

TooEarlyForGin?
10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I read through Dame Tickhill's report last year and was quite excited, it takes the best bits of the EYFS and seems to bring back a common sense approach. Risk Assessing isn't a bad thing at all, but I am sure we all mentally risked assessed everything we did without having to write it down, and as long as we can show we have thought about it when asked. I think it shows as childminders we are in a brilliant position, to move it forward.

sarah707
10-01-2012, 06:09 PM
This is all part of a new Ofsted consultation about inspection outcomes.

Everyone should try to read it and comment - it's not too long and it is so important that our views are heard.

Penny has written some helpful notes to guide you through on this thread :D

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=94572&highlight=consultation