PDA

View Full Version : Activity ideas for 1 year old?

Becci26
10-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi I have a new starter who is coming for their 2nd settling in session tomorrow and would like to have an activity planned - but worrying about what is best to do. Can any of you lovely people throw some ideas at me?

Just turned (on sunday) 1yo boy, started walking at Christmas but when he was with me last week didn't walk at all. Last week I just had a selection of toys out for him to play with which he was more than happy with but feel I should do something more?!

was thinking maybe finger painting, or some form of messy play - Jelly?

Help I'm stuck!

Edited to say he is here for 2 hours tomorrow

AliceK
10-01-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't tend to have a set activity for settling in sessions, I prefer to observe and get to know them and let them choose what to do. I don't do much planning for new LO's until I've got to know them better and done lots of initial obs. Not saying that's right though :blush:

xxxx

ziggy
10-01-2012, 11:09 AM
i agree with alice, i dont plan any activities until child is settled. I just like to chat away to them and make them feel welcome

Mouse
10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I agree as well. When having settling in sessions I stick to having the same toys out each time, so that the child has something to become familiar with. Then when they start coming properly I make sure the same toy is always out for them, so they have something familiar to come in to.

If your new mindee is apply to just play, then let him do that. There'll be plenty of time for activities once he's started properly with you :thumbsup:

Becci26
10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Thankyou so much everyone!

I was wondering this but am over worrying I think lol!!!

Thankyou, I will have the same toys out and not worry about an activity.